2020 CWD Testing Instructions

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Justsayin, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Of course it has nothing to do with what now looks like the false narrative pushed by the DNR, that the disease could jump over to humans. Since the original outbreak the story was that all of this mandatory testing was in large part to protect us from that possibility. Not so surprising that thousands of hunters and their families came to think that they had to get that test before they could eat the venison they harvested.

Now this year comes along and we have a complete turn around by the powers that be with limited testing in limited areas. And what about the thousands of hunters who bought into the health scare?

Real leadership from the DNR would have never allowed that false narrative to begin with, and when it was obvious that people did believe it, they should have had the foresight to explain to those hunters where they could get their deer tested.

Call it sad if you'd like, I'll label it SNAFU.

mbrewer likes this.
  2. Justsayin

Justsayin

Who is misleading who? It just goes to show some would prefer to be comforted by convenient falsehoods then have to face painful truths. The actual "SNAFU" in Michigan is due to current DNR leadership choosing to deny risks. Disease management has impacted his goals to generate revenue and fund pet experiments.

The reality is that science and health guidance surrounding CWD has not changed. This isn't about fear mongering, it is about recognized risks due to a prion disease that is fatal with no treatment and no possible recovery. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... especially considering that there is no cure. This is fact not fiction. That is not to say CWD has affected humans as yet. It is simply recognizing zoonotic diseases can and do cross over and it is prudent to mitigate those risks.

Just because CWD is inconvenient to current DNR priorities and the leader has chosen a false narrative to downplay the issues and responsibilities, this changes nothing in the big picture. MSU didn't agree with the DNR tactic and has continued to promote safe handling, testing, and avoiding consumption of any CWD+ meat. A stark contrast between unethical(DNR) vs ethical (MSU) response.

The sad part is that these conflicting messages undermine all credibility and trust. You can believe science or spin. Just make the effort to understand the truth of the matter.... so you know which is really which.

3. Snowlover 77

Snowlover 77

You bring this argument up every time and it gets really old. The fact that you just assume everyone is sitting on their butt collecting a $600 weekly welfare check is BS. I am not, I have been working all along, as are many other people. And most guys on this forum I would venture to guess are not "burdens on US taxpayers." Quit painting with a giant broad brush that everyone who disagrees with your stance is a lazy government bottom feeder. It's juvenile.

And the fact of the matter is, this isn't about the FREE mentality, at least not to me. It's ease of testing, and being serious about the disease. Obviously it doesn't matter anymore to our DNR so they just aren't going to make the effort. Pretty sure many hunters who have been led to believe consuming a CWD + deer if a health hazard would pay for the testing, if the DNR ACTUALLY made an effort to help (even if there are budgetary concerns).

Doesn't take much $ from the MDNR to set up the drop boxes. Make it mandatory that your head doesn't get tested/run through the lab unless accompanied by a check for the testing costs. Find a way to actually work with all our hunters, get those boxes placed again in the counties of concern, and be serious about trying to find real results to mitigate the spread. Find a way to cover the monetary issues by working WITH the public. Instead of just saying screw it, you guys are on your own. It's really not a hazard anymore. What a joke.

mbrewer, finahol, kstout and 6 others like this.
  4. motdean

motdean

Great post, BTW. I'd give it a second like if I could.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    FREEPOP likes this.
  5. syonker

syonker

As I give some of my venison to friends & local soup kitchens, I feel obligated to have the testing results prior to giving out the venison.

According to the 2020 Hunting Digest, I still can test for free as I hunt in a CWD surveillance area, but I would gladly pay a reasonable fee for timely testing.

What’s the development status of a field test kit?

6. Justsayin

Justsayin

There are at least 2 Universities actively researching faster more convenient testing including Michigan State and Minnesota State. I know the method being researched at Michigan State has been used in research studies for several years but has had some challenges converting to an NVSL approved method for various reasons. Hard to say if we are a couple years or more away from having a better way.

The SAWcorp testing is definitely not an approved or validated testing solution. Profiteers playing on hunter fears.

newaygogeorge and FREEPOP like this.
  7. Justsayin

Justsayin

Well, well, well.... Perhaps the concerns shared will matter more to others now that certain organizations have recognized consequences might negatively impact their goals within the zone... Regardless of motivations, I am glad to finally see the groups joining in support for realistic CWD testing solutions within the zone.

Does anyone else wonder why this "COVID excuse" CWD testing crisis is only in Michigan? Maybe it's time to audit what the DNR IS funding vs advocating for more? What happened to the 4+ million in state funding previously allocated for CWD including laboratory capacity improvements to support testing?? DNR and partners have continued hiring to support desired experiments with seemingly no COVID restraint or "budget" problems. This crisis is one of leadership priorities & funding choices.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 9.28.50 AM.png

8. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

In a majority of the units it’s not free. It’s not free in the units I hunt. Testing is the cheapest thing on an out of state hunt and I totally agree with pay to test availability.

9. motdean

motdean

Luv2hunteup,

I don't see in FREEPOP's post that he said anything about majority or all units...He said "some".
    To try and make it look like he said or implied anything other than what he said appears weak and quite frankly, doesn't offer good optics.

10. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

I continue to Wonder HOW they included Newaygo County for 2 Years Requiring Hunters that Hunt there to No Transport their Deer Without having your deer 'CHECKED" and Now that Is No Longer Important. As CWD Continues To Spread just not "YET" into Newaygo County but a Deer Farm that has yet to be Shut Down (which I thought was To Happen once any Deer on said Farm tested Positive and yet It has not removed / Killed all Deer there?) But it is in the County South and 2 east of Newaygo. And yet It is Now in Jackson, Gratiot and others so why Not testing as Newaygo was included as a CWD Zone and Just Dropped It like It won't spread to that County. It is Truly Amazing how they (DNR) requires Hunters to Do Things and Then takes a 180 Turn around and Now Does Not That is Just Not Acceptable, especially when You Go Out Of Your Way to meet the last 2 Years Regs and Now that is all but done as Newaygo is Not having the access ti low Cost Testing. Who will trust and Out of State Lab that they have not mixed up your Deer with Another and what is the chance of a False Positive as if You Read "Justsayin" MIQDMA having testing is "Important" Yet the DNR has extreme limitations as to when and who can get a deer Tested. And Sending Out Of State How can MI DNR suggest that If They Do Not Allow bring in Big Game From Out Of State how can they suggest sending something to Another State? It Makes No Good Common Sense But Again I Guess that is What We Get From the MI DNR, MI NRC and The MI State Govt! Little. How would You be with giving Meat to a Food Bank and Michigan Sportsman Against Hunger and It is Not tested You Know It will Happen If I were a Food Bank I would need Results showing it has been tested and that is just an added go round dealing with that to help some unfortunate people! So How many will shoot a good Buck Vut the Head off and leave the rest afield> Also You Know that is going to Happen with No Testing Available even if we had to paid some $ but sending a head that will be a costly thing! So many Things Wrong With This Lack Of testing and Why is there Not something in the State of Michigan because this again a last Minute CHANGE By the Poorly Run MI DNR!!!!!!!!!!! Appears some won't be taking a deer Unless It is a Good Buck At least I won't be and that is a how the DNR Thinks so fewer Deer Will Be TAKEN as I know 2 that won't be Hunting in 2020 because of the "Lack Of Testing"! So fewer deer taken will just spread the disease faster. But They are No Longer any Kind of Experts as to Deer and Michigan Deer Hunting it is Just a Political Agency plain and simple!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh Well we will see where the Hunter Number go with this Dumb Decision by Bothe the MI NRC and MI DNR! As some are seeing IT!
    Sad, Very Sad...
    Newaygo1

11. motdean

motdean

Is this the same DNR that wants to implement a new online harvest reporting system?

Should I presume that the new reporting system is free or just a higher priority? o_O

mbrewer and Justsayin like this.
  12. Justsayin

Justsayin

You know it... :bonk:

motdean likes this.
  13. motdean

motdean

Interesting that in the wake of talking about budget woes that the DNR comes out with this press release:

DNR plans to replace Newberry facilities with state-of-the-art mass-timber building
    [​IMG]
    The Michigan Department of Natural Resources will use mass timber – an innovative technology to build large buildings from wood – to construct a $5 million facility in Newberry.

The new building, still in the design stages, will house both the DNR’s customer service center and field offices in Newberry, in the eastern Upper Peninsula. Current facilities are outdated. The new building will include about 10,000 square feet of office space, 16,500 square feet of garage space and a community room that will be available for public use. Funding was approved when Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed the fiscal year 2021 budget last week.

“We are excited to be on the cutting edge of this new technology to build a facility the public can use and enjoy,” said Shannon Lott, DNR deputy director.

Lott has played a critical role on the DNR’s mass-timber team, which co-sponsored a statewide summit about mass timber with the Michigan Forest Biomaterials Institute.

Mass timber can substitute for concrete and steel, and is sustainable. It is a construction system that uses large solid or engineered wood columns, beams and panels to create multistory buildings from renewable materials. The construction technique is becoming more common in areas such as the Pacific Northwest and parts of Europe but is new to the Midwest. Construction is typically faster than traditional concrete-and-steel building because components are manufactured off-site and delivered just-in-time for installation.

“Michigan has 20 million acres of forest land and a growing forest products industry worth over $20 billion,” Lott said. “This building will help showcase both of these Michigan assets.”

Unlike steel and concrete, the wood used in mass-timber buildings helps take carbon out of the atmosphere. As trees grow, they absorb carbon from the air and sequester it for long periods of time. The carbon benefit remains even after a tree is converted to wood.

DNR-managed forests, covering nearly 4 million acres, are certified as sustainable by two independent organizations.

The new Newberry building is planned on the same site as the existing DNR field office, on M-123 about 1.5 miles north of M-28.

Design of the building had begun before COVID-19 caused a halt in many projects this spring, said Dave Graham, a program manager with the DNR’s Finance and Operations Division who is on the team developing the project.

“We’re looking toward the end of the year. We’ll be nailing down the design and getting a better idea of the costs and the timeline,” he said.

The Newberry building is one of a few mass-timber projects in the works in Michigan. Michigan State University is nearing completion of its new STEM Teaching and Learning Facility, which created a 117,000-square-foot building out of the old Shaw Lane power plant with multistory mass timber additions. Michigan Technological University is planning a mass-timber complex to serve its engineering and health technology programs.

Watch this MSU video to learn more about how mass timber works.

DNR COVID-19 RESPONSE: For details on affected DNR facilities and services, visit this webpage. Follow state actions and guidelines at Michigan.gov/Coronavirus.

Seems like the guv could have appropriated additional monies for CWD testing instead.

I wonder whose name is going to go on the building.... o_O

Justsayin likes this.
  14. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

I wonder how much they pay the Grade-A BSer's that can write such news releases.

The Name: Whitmer's Woody

FREEPOP, Justsayin and motdean like this.