2020 CWD Testing Instructions

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Justsayin, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Botiz

Botiz

I’m glad there is an option. Most people think everything should be provided to them. It’s my deer that I voluntarily hunted and killed. I’m the one that’s going to be eating it. It’s not someone else’s responsibility to test it for any diseases.

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

The first state I fact checked From your post was Colorado since i also hunt there. Voluntary CWD testing is $25.00. No need to fact check the rest of your post any farther since it’s not accurate. There is no reason hunters should not have to share in testing costs. I’m glad there are options for those that want to get their animal tested. It’s not like it’s mandatory where we hunt in Michigan or even if we hunt. Choose wisely and pay a fee, it’s no big deal. Testing costs are minor compared to everything else involved with hunting.

3. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Wrong, you didn't read far enough. In some units, it's mandatory and free. Outside the units it's a $25 dollar fee.
    Now who's giving out false information?

upload_2020-9-14_8-36-8.png

4. Justsayin

Justsayin

And I thought you knew all these other states that Michigan was modeling...

Colorada provides free testing in 80 management units and facilitates voluntary submissions w/ a cost share of $25. In addition, Colorado reimburses processing costs on CWD positives. $50 w/o receipt or $100-$200 w/ a receipt.

Michigan hunters are on their own. DNR is not sharing costs and will not facilitate sampling. Hunters who can pull their own samples or who know a taxidermist who will do this will pay ~$50 and hunters who send the full head will pay ~$100. Both options must deal with notifying the lab, getting supplies, handling, and shipping. Michigan DNR is not reimbursing for incorrect, improperly handled, untestable samples, nor are they reimbursing processing costs.

If the goal is to spread CWD across Michigan, vastest choices are making big moves to ensure that end.

** Removing convenient options for CWD tests in the Michigan lab also removes opportunistic TB tests in the state.

RKPTA and motdean like this.
  5. Botiz

Botiz

Why do you guys think your deer’s testing should be provided to you? You buy your weapons, your gear, possibly your processing...but a test for diseases is someone else’s responsibility? Help me understand your stance on the matter.

Tracker83 and LabtechLewis like this.
  6. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

That's a valid question. For me, it's not so much the fact that it now will cost something, it's how the entire process has been handled/communicated. It seemed like many were treating CWD as "the single biggest issue facing deer hunting" not too long ago. Now, my perception of the collective reaction to CWD is, "Meh. We'll collect some data where we know it is, but it's not a big deal anymore."

Maybe I just need to read up on it a little bit, but would even feel better if there was a statement about compiling the private data collected by individual citizens for use in a state-wide database. Maybe there will be, but, like I said, I need to learn more here. At the moment it just feels like our state just dropped it as a concern...

mbrewer, RKPTA, 12Point and 5 others like this.
  7. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

I agree with LabtechLewis.
    Getting it done for free isn't my issue. Getting it tested period, it would be nice to know where that is possible. Also, how can you do it legally since moving parts of animals is restricted.

12Point, Justsayin and LabtechLewis like this.
  8. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Might be because the State has been paying for the testing starting with Tb since about 1995. Roughly 300,000 deer have been tested for Tb or CWD since then, all at the DNR's expense. I would call that a precedent.

L & O

milanmark, 12Point, Dish7 and 2 others like this.
  9. Justsayin

Justsayin

My primary concern has always been on limiting the impact of CWD in Michigan. Decisions being made contrary to that goal should be a concern of all Michigan hunters.

States that have focused on supporting and enabling hunters to remove a greater number of CWD positive deer have had the greatest level of success. This strategy requires hunters remaining committed to hunt these areas. Providing a measure of assurance via state testing at no/low cost made accessible and convenient mitigates perceived personal risks that comes with a CWD territory.

I see the change in testing strategy here as completely counter to disease management. No hunter has to choose to hunt in current CWD areas. When the costs and inconvenience increase in areas with disease, it's more likely many would choose to hunt other areas without the risk & burden. Fewer hunters = growing disease. The cost of testing is a small price to limit the spread to smaller areas considering all that is at risk.

These decisions appear to have been made unilaterally and without regard for consequences. There were no opportunities for public input and the lack of communication, delaying until last possible moment has become a tactic for advancing controversial decisions to avoid challenge.

Even if the optional testing is reflected in statistics, I just don't see most hunters who would have checked a deer or dropped off a head wanting to deal with the hassles and extra cost to submit to Wisconsin. The value of data gathered this year has been intentionally diminished. Without continued testing, we lose visibility to disease trends which should be utilized to inform future actions.

While some see the extra cost incidental, raising a $20 deer tag to $70-$120 isn't a cost all hunters can absorb. At some level it becomes a gamble, pay to get a deer, test, process and have nothing in the end, due to a CWD+ result. When the investment has no tangible reward, how long do you continue to throw good money at it? A choice I would prefer fewer hunters have to face.

Snowlover 77, Newaygo1, Botiz and 3 others like this.
  10. Waif

Waif

It's already reduced my participation two days.
    And will reduce kills for sure.
    So my C.W.D. township site continues to percolate while I watch. That will help matters apparently.

Having just found out how to get a deer tested ,(and I was looking online prior to the past weekends hunts) I'm not exactly enamored with the process either.
    Makes sense to have a prelabled box ready before going hunting.
    I'm not ready for or have room for a bigger freezer to toss a quartered deer in till testing results say go.
    Nor going back to the processor in another county after the last deer they ....processed.
    As few as I've had others cut up...I'm having to do it myself.
    Shoulders not trimmed of anything , ran through a bandsaw and called steaks? Never again.
    So I process for two days and spin the wheel again like last year. And await test results after.
    Or just hunt elsewhere with lower odds for now?

Justsayin likes this.
  11. Justsayin

Justsayin

I'm not aware of anything at a federal level. States have the discretion to set policy for what can be transported in. The national laboratories can and do ship samples to other network laboratories across state lines when unable to conduct specific tests or meet demands. In 2018, Michigan shipped heads to Wisconsin to assist with increased demands.

The narrative in Michigan has focused on limited capacity and funding. Yet we know funding is a choice among priorities and capacity limits, real or intended, can be mitigated with cooperative agreements.

In my mind shipping samples to the Wisconsin lab is not necessarily the biggest issue. Having heads traveling around MI, while hunters are trying to figure out how to get samples pulled, packed and shipped, followed by disposal of remaining high risk materials who knows where... there is no tracking of the movement of untested, yet CWD infected, carcasses to know where they ended up and who else may have been exposed. Hunter donations of untested deer will likely soar as a means of dispatching goal driven harvest increase in absence of testing.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    mbrewer and motdean like this.
  12. Justsayin

Justsayin

In the same boat here...

As far as planning ahead, it would surprise me if the lab would be willing to send out sampling kits & coolers without a filled tag.

13. Waif

Waif

I'll need to calm down and revisit the issue before the disabled hunt.
    I was under the impression the out of state lab would cheerfully provide the box (and we are able to provide our own if it meets specifications) for a fee.
    If the box is not used , hopefully the lab makes a buck (pun intended) on the sale.
    No need for a tag , until filling out the required information prior to sample tissues being packed for shipment.

Having the test send off samples packing and labeling ready before a kill seems most efficient.
    I can see me trying to sneak a deer head or tissue sample in our little freezer while waiting for a test kit sample tissue prep.
    I caught holy heck when found using a cutting board from the kitchen on a deer without a test confirmation. It's my board now.....
    Almost got in a fight putting sealed venison in the freezer too. Until test results came back , the freezer door was like cryptonite.

I'm not that picky. But I'm also not convincing her royal indoors on what is safe in deer ,and what is not.
    Plenty of other domestic ideals to debate that don't involve hunting. Hunting being my "thing". I just need to keep it outside. Where I need an outbuilding ,fridge,and freezer apparently.

14. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Free is the new mentality, not personal responsibility. For some reason getting a $1,200 stimulus check and receiving a $600 weekly Federal welfare check is not enough for some for doing absolutely nothing expect for being a burden on US taxpayers. The days of paying your own way is foreign to some. Sad is an understatement.