2020 CWD Testing Instructions

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Justsayin, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Justsayin

Justsayin

Experimenting with public health now too. Wonder how many will get tests done this year? Or how far heads will travel? Costs ~$50 - $100 for a single test w/ discounted shipping. Half the cost is in supplies, packaging & shipping.

Call ahead, order shipping container, pull tissues, put in ziplocks, freeze em, pack in cooler with gel pack, stuff with packing material, fill out forms, enclose payment, ship Monday-Thursday via UPS to Wisconsin, wait for result.

Remember we can't transport high risk materials (ie lymph nodes, heads, etc.) outside the zone... yeah right... this makes it impossible to follow regulations and get tests.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/MI_CWD_Submission_Form_701996_7.pdf

LabtechLewis likes this.
  2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Thanks for posting. It’s great to see there are options for guys who want their deer tested.

3. Waif

Waif

You don't object to rules being violated?

FREEPOP likes this.
  4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

If you follow the instructions there is no violation.

Waif likes this.
  5. Waif

Waif

I'll refer to you when my claim is..."But I was going to submit samples!"

6. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

Was not the area changed as what is considered a CWD Zone / Area / Core Area? And Transporting a Deer has that not also Changed? As You mention moving something with CWD was a an Issue last year Apparently it is Not this year. Does Wisconsin have any regs about accepting anything that could have CWD into their State as Michigan Does? Has anyone looked into as Michigan does not allow anything from Out Of State in the State as to transporting Big Game but Meat and possible a Cape w/ skull for a Mount but I am not sure exactly what that Reg is but I no longer Hunt outside Michigan. But I would think they have something Similar ("Maybe")??? And Why would a State allow this and possible spread it there? If it gets lost or mishandle and falls out of a truck in transit? And That is alot $ plus dealing as do not know many that know exact where the Gland is on a deer's skull and not many offer to remove and those that do have limited hours and some are not open on a weekend. Has anyone looked in shipping something like this out of state? Is It legal as going thru another state to get to Wisconsin like Illinois for it to get there? And why would it need be in a cool package if it has CWD would not the tissue still have it warm or cold and if the deer was still alive it would be warm anyway. Unless it might sit in their warehouse and start rotting? Appears the DNR has Not mention most of these Concerns just that They Are Not Willing To do it. I would think Sending anything with CWD would be Prohibited as it is bring something into a state that has the potential of having CWD...
    Just some observations...
    Newaygo1

RKPTA likes this.
  7. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Conflicting rules at best.

RKPTA likes this.
  8. Waif

Waif

Monkey in the middle.

9. Justsayin

Justsayin

It's not just conflicting rules, it's the extreme efforts to ensure hunters most likely to harvest a CWD+ deer are excluded from reasonable, accessible, no/low cost CWD testing options... Have to question if someone is actually "looking to facilitate an outcome", if we test less we will likely have (find) less. Just look at where Michigan is NOT looking for CWD this year... the 5-county experimental core zone with only 2 (4-day) check stations and a 13-county region with only 1 (5-day) check station. Kind-of obvious isn't it?!?

Wouldn't surprise me to see DNR aggressively prosecute CWD zone hunters for violating movement restrictions if any heads are submitted at DNR check stations/drop boxes outside of the zone after legally taking carcass to any state licensed processor or taxidermist who must report receipt of untested CWD zone carcasses and can choose to reject CWD zone carcasses where CWD status is unknown/untested.

RKPTA and motdean like this.
  10. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Exactly how many humans have been infected with CWD or had negative heath impacts from CWD? I think the DNR is following other states lead by putting the cost on those who want testing done instead of having other hunters subsidize testing for the minority. If I choose to hunt where CWD found I more than likely will pay to get it tested since it’s so inexpensive to do so.

11. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

Who says we have to use this? Can't we just submit our heads to the check stations or drop off boxes?

12. Justsayin

Justsayin

How many humans were infected with Covid-19 a year ago? Covid-19 is in a class of diseases known to have mutated to infect humans. CWD is also in a zoonotic disease class. I look to credible national & worldwide health organizations for guidance on CWD risk for humans, not internet forums.

What other states do you believe Michigan is following regarding downplaying risks and removing state/federal funded CWD testing for core CWD zone areas?

Of the states I checked on thus far, all provide mandatory or voluntary, accessible, free of charge, CWD testing in known CWD areas including Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Minnesota, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Texas, Wyoming, Colorado…. Other states chose to support testing to ensure continued hunting in CWD zones and to protect hunter health as an ethical priority.

RKPTA likes this.
  13. Justsayin

Justsayin

Unfortunately, the DNR is restricting CWD testing to only areas they are interested in including a handful of townships in Isabella, Gratiot and Jackson counties. The core zone of Montcalm, Kent & Ionia is limited to Nov 16-19 to submit heads for testing.

Check station locations and drop boxes have been eliminated or scaled way back in areas not included in DNR testing plan. The only option for hunters outside of the DNRs targeted areas is to ship heads/samples to the Wisconsin State laboratory at their own expense.

14. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Curious if there are any possible Federal regulations about hunters/laypersons transporting across state lines?

15. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

The 2020 Hunting Guide has the correct information on pages 44-45, 47 and 50-51.

L & O

Justsayin likes this.