2020 CWD Testing Goals

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Justsayin, Sep 2, 2020.

1. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

The grade is a "D". I didn't disclose and apparently you can't see how each voter responds, individually. My mistake.

motdean likes this.
  2. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Hmmm, being in the core area I've had all my deer tested since the beginning.

I'll probably cut the racks off and dump the carcass in lansing from now on.

FREEPOP likes this.

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

The last I looked the deer check station webpage will be updated soon.

The Bernie supporters are starting to reveal themselves, I want it freeeeee. Most on this site received an unexpected government windfall earlier this year that should be enough to cover all the testing you’ll need for the balance of your life even if the DNR doesn’t subsidize a dime of CWD testing anymore. Quit crying and go hunt. The past is the past, we all enjoyed free hunter subsidized testing. Enjoy your season knowing you have received enough money from the anti hunter and non hunter segment of the population to pay for your lifetime of testing. We finally got one up on them.

Botiz likes this.
  4. motdean

motdean

Aren't you the poster that has posted a number of times about grant money for land improvement?
    upload_2020-9-3_9-54-9.png
    Hmmmm......

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    danthony, HUBBHUNTER2 and FREEPOP like this.
  5. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

What is the price point, please. I haven't looked into it...

6. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I’ve heard estimates up to $100, nothing confirmed. The last time I hunted Colorado I believe it was $35 if you wanted your animal voluntarily tested if you weren’t one of the hunters who were chosen for mandatory testing.

LabtechLewis likes this.
  7. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

I killed and tested 7 last year and was anticipating an increase of at least 50% this year. I like to share venison. At what point does my personal responsibility begin and end within that space. $350 to $1000 carries a significant opportunity cost.

motdean likes this.
  8. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Maybe I'll use my free money on gas to drop the carcass in the UP.

Snowlover 77 and FREEPOP like this.
  9. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

I’ve received deer habitat grant money. I was called and asked if I wanted to participate in deer habitat due the products being ordered and someone dropping out. My property did not fall under the parameters of the grant but the apple trees and bur oaks would have been otherwise disposed of. I’ve also received free testing for both bTB and CWD. I guess you missed reading the 2019 deer harvest survey results where hunter said they would be willing to pay for voluntary testing. I believe subsidized testing will be a thing of the past. It’s no big deal since we have been paid up front for lifetime testing. If someone didn’t receive a payment they can afford the testing.

10. motdean

motdean

So free is OK if they ask you? Free is free in my book.

And are these the numbers that you are talking about from the survey?
    ONLY 38% were willing to pay.

upload_2020-9-3_10-48-51.png
    upload_2020-9-3_10-59-27.png

11. Waif

Waif

More than 40 years of licenses and PR. taxes , I've paid the state enough they can pay for testing.. If they can hand out grant money , they have enough to spend on disease.

When the horizon was pointed at and C.W.D. noted , the state should have been focused on keeping it out.
    Like other disease and invasive species though , the usual red carpet treatment applied. Just like the U.P. mascot the wolf. (Yes please , we want what other states have.) I missed the survey where you wanted wolves , but whatever. Apparently enough huggers support them ,or they wouldn't be there.

The state has no problem with new and novel ideas. After all , sovereignty is a pipe dream when you are in bed with the federal government.. A money thing usually.
    Only pacifying the offended citizens remains. Charging them for solutions follows.

For a hundred bucks I can go kill a doe in the U.P. and not worry about testing it.
    Till C.W.D. expands there anyways.
    Or buy beef.(Non T.B. preferably).
    The local herd will rebound in time. Sure won't be any appreciable numbers removed on my property. Guests are going to hunt cheaper elsewhere. And I've no interest in testing multiples , regardless of your survey results.

And the herd with reduced pressure will simply expand and go back to passing the baton of C.W.D. faster than it is now. Welcomed by regulation. Again.

12. cakebaker

cakebaker

Sounds like a budget cut to me.

13. motdean

motdean

While you are there, can you pick up my wolf? :D

HUBBHUNTER likes this.
  14. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Please list every case where CWD has impacted the health of a human. We know the I’ll effects if bTB so that’s a given.

15. Waif

Waif

Not sure what the "I'll" effect is....But I'm not plugged into the U.S.D.A. data base.

C.W.D. affected me by having to process deer on the tailgate of my truck. And having to buy a new cutting board when I got caught using the big one out of the kitchen.
    And yes , the cutting board incident nearly impacted part of my anatomy in a negative manner.

You may or may not care that prion researchers are less concerned with current risk (despite their non-consumption advice) than they are with future risk by inter-species consumption and spread. With mutation being the biggest concern.

Do prion diseases evolve? Can they cross specie barriers? What exactly constitutes the barrier between cervids and humans in transmission?
    Till that is answered assuredly it remains roulette going forward.

Till humans are studied consuming C.W.D. prions long term , and enough of them being subjected , I don't see info on potential transmission , or what evolved form ; if any.
    Disease is not my forte or education. But when those for whom such is a noted study , should we heed their advice , or go with your asking where proven harm exists?