2020 CWD Testing Goals

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Justsayin, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Justsayin

Justsayin

Here we are... DNR sets no goals in their announcement of 2020 CWD testing goals. DNR funded testing is limited to only 5 townships that have had CWD detected and 23 townships without prior detections.

9 counties including the Core and some of the former management zone can get DNR funded tests Nov 15 - 18 ONLY. Still no information on DNR's solution for hunter-pay private lab testing options.

It does look like carcasses of deer showing CWD symptoms will be accepted for testing year round. Here's a tip, if your deer staggers, falls over, or displays other neurologic symptoms (ie brain dead) looks like you can get your deer tested. :idea:

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 7.40.47 PM.png

2. Waif

Waif

Looks like a 4 day C.W.D. hunt for me this year if I want free testing.
    Hope it don't snow much before the 15th...
    On the bright side , should be less kills.:rolleyes:

Justsayin likes this.

3. jatc

jatc

Looks like all the deer I shoot this year are coming from “southern Isabella County”.

I see the “recorded” kill for that area increasing tenfold compared to last year.

Liver and Onions likes this.
  4. motdean

motdean

I thought about people doing that as soon as I saw it in the hunting guide.

It is going to appear as though the population in the CWD zone is exploding, but may make the prevalence rate look much better than it is.

Another hat tip to an already dysfunctional organization.....

5. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

And, speaking of apperance, perception and "optics", I'd say many will walk away concluding CWD needs to be taken seriously only in select regions of the state; "they" must have decided it's no big deal if they're not testing for it any longer.

Excerpt from a recent email blast I received from the DNR:

Make safety a priority this season

Whether this is your first season hunting or you are a seasoned veteran, remember to put safety first.

Find hunting safety tips and resources at Michigan.gov/HuntingSafety.
    So, also going to conclude "they" don't view this as a safety risk either. You know, because taking pictures of deer is a more responsible use of funding than testing for disease on behalf of those potentially affected...

I'm not saying there are great alternatives here, because every decision becomes difficult and unpopular when the money dries up. I am saying their PR (or lack thereof) is exhausting. I feel like I need to acknowledge Pinefarm everytime I say that...

Justsayin likes this.
  6. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

7. motdean

motdean

Uh oh....is somebody exhibiting a fringe of distrust in our DNR/NRC?

Justsayin and LabtechLewis like this.
  8. Snowlover 77

Snowlover 77

Pitiful. I live in and primarily hunt in Newaygo County. No testing goals and no DNR funded CWD testing in our county, even though it has been top priority the last couple seasons. Townships in Montcalm directly adjacent to Newaygo have quite a few positives, but don't worry we don't need to test here. SMH

Bucket-Back, Justsayin and motdean like this.
  9. Will meat processors take deer from CWD counties no longer requiring DNR testing. Will they demand you have it private tested? Will they take the your deer without question? I hope processors identify their intent very soon.

10. motdean

motdean

Uh oh....is somebody exhibiting a fringe of distrust in our DNR/NRC? :D

LabtechLewis likes this.
  11. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

How many times are you going to ask that, Sleepy Mo? :)

I gave you my grade in that other thread. Should come as no surprise. Not sure "distrust" is the appropriate word. More like "underwhelmed". Definitely distrust the NRC, though. It would be nice if someone could offer an objective example of any positive contribution from that group to help balance my attitude.

Dish7 and motdean like this.
  12. motdean

motdean

Sorry, I didn't see the letter grade.
    I did see (and I believe "liked") your last post....

LabtechLewis likes this.
  13. Justsayin

Justsayin

Do you fault the puppets or the one who holds the strings? I'm not sure the NRC has any authority any more. Can't expect good decisions when being fed strategically biased information to support the masters plan can we?!? It's hard to imagine any state failing worse than MI right now... Nothing destroys trust and credibility like inconsistency.

FREEPOP likes this.
  14. Bucket-Back

Bucket-Back

MDNR had a CWD checkpoint at the SE corner of M37 & M82, that corner is not in the testing area anymore
    FMDNR