2018 Steelhead Egg Take, Little Manistee Weir

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by M. Tonello, Mar 30, 2018.

1. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

Hello everyone,
    Thought I would start a thread to keep everyone up to date on the steelhead egg take at the Little Manistee Weir. The weir grates were put in on March 16th, so upstream fish passage has been blocked since then. We turned the pumps on this week, so fish have begun entering the facility. At last check there were maybe a couple hundred fish in the ponds. At this point, we're tentatively looking at the week of April 9th to start the egg take, but that will depend on how many fish we have on hand, and how ripe they are.

Remember that the Little Manistee River is closed to fishing until April 1. At that time, it will open to fishing up to Spencer's Bridge. Above Spencer's Bridge stays closed to fishing until the last Saturday in April.

2. MrFysch

MrFysch

Thanks for the update!

3. Bud man

Bud man

Thanks for update. Think I'll stop by today and see what a fish looks like.

itchn2fish and ruger 454 like this.
  4. Bud man

Bud man

Do they use any volunteers to help with the egg take. Would like to help and experience the process.

itchn2fish likes this.
  5. Fishndude

Fishndude

Not sure about helping, but you can stand right there and watch the process, if you time it right.

itchn2fish and Bud man like this.
  6. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

Yeah I've done that and the DNR guys would chat with you and tell you what was going on... you're right there with them and you don't get your hands all fishy!
    Seems like they had a board where they kept track of the biggest fish...

itchn2fish and Bud man like this.
  7. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

Not so much for volunteers, but the other posters are correct. If you can get there when we're taking eggs, you are more than welcome to get right in and observe up close. With this weather, I have no idea when we'll actually be taking eggs. We need some warmth to ripen these steelhead up!

Bud man and itchn2fish like this.
  8. Bud man

Bud man

Thank you for the update. I'll found a hotline # to call to get updates.

9. Far Beyond Driven

Far Beyond Driven

We've done that when they've processed the coho on the Platte. Even got to run a stream brown that got caught up in the shuffle back down to the river and let him go.

Bud man likes this.
  10. The Ghettoblaster

The Ghettoblaster

Thanks for the update Mark! My daughter and I swung through the weir last Friday to see how things were progressing.

11. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

Hotline # is 231-775-9727 ext 6072 for Little Manistee hotline
    Fall same number and ext 6073 for Platte River weir info.
    Just called and last message for Little Manistee was on 3/29.

12. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

Unfortunately there isn't much to report. It's full on winter here. Some fish have been slowly trickling in, but with the current arctic temperatures they won't ripen up anytime soon. The forecast doesn't show us even hitting 40 degrees again until sometime late next week. Unless something changes drastically, it's looking like egg take will not begin until at least the week of April 16th.

Vicious Fishous and Bud man like this.
  13. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

Oh and thanks milanmark for putting the hotline # on here, I had forgotten to do that. We will get it updated today as well.

milanmark likes this.
  14. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

Latest update- not much going on at the weir. Still not a ton of fish, and those that are there are still not ripe. We're hoping for more rain than snow this weekend. Rain should move some fish, but warmth is needed too. We'll check ripeness again early next week, and we may try to do one day of egg take later next week (maybe thursday?). At this point it is looking like the bulk of the egg take will be during the week of April 24, as long as we have enough fish by then, and as long as they're ripe.

Scout 2, Bud man and BMARKS like this.
  15. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

Next update: The first day of egg take will be on Tuesday, April 24th. We know a lot of the fish still won't be ripe, but we're going to at least try to go through the fish that have been there awhile. After the 24th it's up in the air. If we have enough fish and they're ripe enough, we'll keep on going. If not we'll have to wait until the following week.

levi moore, Bud man and milanmark like this.