close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2018 Grand River Fish Ladder Updates

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by wilsonm, Mar 7, 2018.

1. wilsonm

wilsonm

We opened up Webber, Portland, and Grand Ledge fish ladders today. As most of you know, the river is still high, even as far up as Jackson. It is on a very gradual pace coming down. There has been a steady stream of Steelhead moving through the St Joe over the last few weeks and expect the same is true for the Grand. Good luck to those who get out and hopefully the river comes down soon and is fishable. For those interested in walleye, There are usually quite a few below all the dams on the Grand this time of year so keep that in mind before the season closes. Downtown Grand Rapids can produce some real trophies this time of year.

2. carpslayer

carpslayer

Any info on the pucker st dam? I heard it’s scheduled for April removal.. thanks

3. wilsonm

wilsonm

Better suited for St Joe thread, but it is scheduled to start in June with removal by fall if everything goes as planned.

slowpaya likes this.
  4. wilsonm

wilsonm

We cleaned and checked Grand Ledge, Portland, and Webber today. The ladders were pretty void of fish today.

slowpaya likes this.
  5. wilsonm

wilsonm

We surveyed for walleye downtown today and their was plenty of steelhead between and below the coffers today.

slowpaya, MickL and 101thwacK like this.
  6. riverbob

riverbob Premium Member

well how was the eye survey? what my scouts have said is there were fishable numbers (for a meal for 4) what was lacking was the eatable size male eyes (limits till she closes,, freezer stock).....its going to b a good opener for eyes..I think

slowpaya likes this.
  7. wilsonm

wilsonm

The walleye survey went real well. We caught around 200 with the largest being just short of 32 inches. About 75% were from 18-22 inches with 6 over 30 inches. More females than males this time.

MickL and slowpaya like this.
  8. #1 Gun

#1 Gun

Wilsonm, do you know the dates when walleye egg collection on the Muskegon River is going to take place or did it already. I would like to go see it and maybe get some pics. Thanks

9. o_mykiss

o_mykiss

Wow, 6 out of 200 fish were bigger than 30 inches. That's impressive

10. Sparky23

Sparky23

There was an unusual amount of slob eyes being caught .And unfortuantly mostly kept this year prier to season close on the grand. Always big ones there . not in the number i saw this year

11. wilsonm

wilsonm

We will be checking the Muskegon Monday and most likely doing the first egg-take later next week. I will be posting the press release and updates of the days we will be doing egg-takes on a thread soon.

slowpaya and 357Maximum like this.
  12. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I enjoyed watching the egg-take at Pine Street a couple of years ago. Interesting and educational.

Hope to be up that way next week so might be able to see it again.

13. wilsonm

wilsonm

6th Street was cleaned and checked today. There were quite a few steelhead around.

slowpaya and MickL like this.
  14. speydude26

speydude26

Any updates on the 6th street dam removal? Heard snuffbox mussels were found downstream of the dam and it was holding up progress. I have seen some renditions and "blueprints" for what the river will look like after its out...can't wait!

15. fishman210

fishman210