2018 CWD Survey

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Liver and Onions, Aug 1, 2019.

1. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

I am surprised how few hunters reported using urine-based scents, despite all the advertising and product availability. Seems like it would be higher.

I am surprised that only half butcher their own deer. Very enjoyable part of the process, in my opinion. Guess it depends on what equipment, facility and company you have available, though. I count my blessings.

jr28schalm and flinchjerk like this.

2. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

The number that reported butchering their own was higher than I thought it would be, just considering my circle.

Liver and Onions likes this.
  3. flinchjerk

flinchjerk

In our circle it is about 50/50 for those that do it themselves and those that pay to get their deer hacked into random bags of unidentifiable bits.

4. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Free butchering to the first 50 people that show up to your qdm event ?

5. motdean

motdean

"Most Michigan deer hunters did not support the MDNR taking no actions to control CWD, but they also were unwilling to accept outcomes that resulted in fewer deer, fewer bucks, and fewer bucks with large antlers. Hunters generally were supportive of liberalized hunting seasons (Figure 16) but did not support using trained shooters to kill deer or issuing permits to landowners to shoot deer outside the hunting season (Figure 15). Hunters generally indicated that management actions that involved hunters were more acceptable than most other options, although sustained culling by trained shooters has been the only management action that appeared to control CWD (Uehlinger et al. 2016).

Overall, hunters had high levels of confidence in the MDNR’s ability to provide information about CWD, but hunters were less confident in the MDNR’s ability to make the right decisions and to carry out effective management. Furthermore, the lowest levels of confidence were expressed by hunters within the CWD areas, especially with respect to making good decisions and properly addressing CWD. Similar results have been reported in Illinois (Stafford et al. 2007)."

Well, they got something right.

6. flinchjerk

flinchjerk

You gotta do what you gotta do to get that 102% survey response rate. ;)

LabtechLewis, jr28schalm and motdean like this.
  7. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Wow. At the rate we work, that would be a serious time commitment. Really good marketing platform, though. I'll just need to work on some "fine print" for the agreement beforehand.

*Qualified candidates must be <100 lbs. dressed, CWD-free, within 24 hrs of expiration, received between 12/23-1/1 according to pre-agreed appointment time, and not frozen.

jr28schalm likes this.