close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2018 baiting laws

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by red wolf, Jan 6, 2018.

1. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

We all know it's the Fly guys.

Botiz likes this.
  2. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Shagbark hickory doesn't grow up here but you would be welcome to bring some in as long as you bring enough for everyone!. FM

stickbow shooter likes this.

3. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

No, no, no, no.......You have that bass ackward. Back in the day most fishing was done with bait. Lures came later so......... Oh Boy, wait a minute we are obviously going to need another get together to address the correct way to fish because there is way more to fishing than just the bait/artificial issue! Catch and release, net vs beaching, minimum size vs slot limits and much more. Oh my, with all those things it might be best to work on deer first and settle the bait/food plot, tree stand/ground blind, bow/crossbow, bow/firearm, Saturday/weekday, APR/brown&down, shorter season/longer season, box blind/portable blind, more deer/less deer, hinging/harvesting, prosecuting/stern warning, owning land/public areas,.........there are a lot of things to settle once and for all before we dive into the aquatic issues. FM

4. Waif

Waif Premium Member

If hunters are only alowed to bait under water ,and the law remains that deer are not to be taken in water.......Then is it ethical for some one to fish for catfish on some one elses bait?

Forest Meister and 357Maximum like this.
  5. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Off the top of my head, I would say it might depend on the phase of the moon and tides in the Bay of Fundy. That said, one needs to be respectful of the baiter being careful not to disturb the owner's setup or use his forked sticks to prop rods while burning a tire and drinking beer. This all assumes shore fishing. Boat fishing is an altogether different animal.

Please keep in mind that this may not be my final, definitive response since I have not been able to contact my personal Indian Guru for guidance. FM

357Maximum and Waif like this.
  6. Birddogm33

Birddogm33

Baiting is baiting...Call it a food plot or sugar beets...it is not natural food such as browse or acorns...what is fair for one should be for all..

Justin and 357Maximum like this.
  7. 357Maximum

357Maximum

Life ain't fair, baitplots simply ain't going nowhere. This will just be one more stepping stone to the European model of hunting that so many people seem to want in one fashion or another.

Justin, Forest Meister and swampbuck like this.
  8. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

If state would pay my land taxes I might stop ploting..2 more acres will be added this year

sniper likes this.
  9. pigeonhunter03

pigeonhunter03

i thought the reason they would ban bait is because the deer eat to close to each other and spread diseases not because of how fair it is.

Swampdog467, jr28schalm and sniper like this.
  10. swampbuck

swampbuck

And food plots are to disperse deer, not attract them to one place to be killed. Hunters don't plant them to attract deer.

357Maximum likes this.
  11. 357Maximum

357Maximum

Yep, deer never come into contact unless a bait pile is involved. :lol: They are using the disease boogy man to justify something "they" wanted all along...NOTHING MORE TO IT. This time they will likely be able to get it to stick using the CWD thing to make it stick despite what most of their "customers" want however, unlike last time when it came unstuck. I do not bait or plot, but how are they gonna outlaw licking branches, acorns, plots, fields, gardens, natural licks, and about 10,000 other common means of contact? This is a case of might makes right, nothing more. On the plus side of things it may lessen the congestion in some of the busier state lands. It will definitely make it easier for the 9 month use private land plots and ag fields to be more "destination" than the state land bait piles that are only there for a few weeks to a few months. :lol: I might have to take up plotting just to see how many extra deer I can suck out of the nearby state land. BWA HA HA HA

12. 357Maximum

357Maximum

What, truly you have to know them plots are only there to observe and take pictures of "their" deer.

Justin and retired dundo like this.
  13. sniper

sniper

Swampy please read Maxi's post above....

Maxi thanks for laying it all out for swampy...He's having a hard time grasping what deer do in the wild...Nice work..

14. 357Maximum

357Maximum

I was flintknapping with a lawyer buddy of mine a couple of evenings ago when this topic came up. Turns out that at least "in theory" I could be dead wrong about "them" not being able to control/regulate/prohibit bait plots. He thinks that if the state/local legislatures were so inclined, there is a way that plots could be added to the building codes and inspection type regimens if they got real creative. ????????????????????? not a lawyer, so I do not know and my buddy had a few ales in his system.

Justin likes this.
  15. swampbuck

swampbuck

So basically what deer do at a bait site, is no different than what they do naturally in the wild?