close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2018-19 Waterfowl Seasons

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by DecoySlayer, Mar 17, 2018.

1. craigrh13

craigrh13

Kind of like punishing all gun owners for the acts of a few morons.

DecoySlayer likes this.
  2. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Ask your average native NoDak waterfowl hunter what their impression is of Mn hunters...oddly consistent responses. My favorite was the guy guiding down in the southeast part of the state that changed the signs on some land owned by a Mennonite farmer cooperative to NO Hunting. He then proceeded to attempt to attempt throw our group off "his land", oddly he changed his tune when my hunting partners produced their cell phones to contact the real owners whose land they have hunted for years...

3. just ducky

just ducky

well I disagree with you also. IF...most of the early goose hunting was to occur in dry fields, then yes. But many, MANY marshes get busted in this early season. And a lot of it could be by people who don't hunt waterfowl later in the season, but like to get out in September when the weather is nice to "shoot something", and as a warm up to their bowhunting for deer. I have several friends who do the goose shoot, but NEVER hunt waterfowl after that.

4. BFG

BFG

Pressure is pressure, doesn't matter when it happens, and the reality is that when pressure occurs, wildlife will change their patterns.

When one factors in early goose, teal season, and then youth seasons....it's not difficult to see why the early part of the regular season can be trying.

I gave up hunting the opening weekend a long time ago. Craig is right...best hunting is between Halloween and Thanksgiving/Christmas anyway.

5. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Shootig geese over roost water is as dumb a practice in Michigan as it is in NoDak, independent of season segment.

6. craigrh13

craigrh13

The local lakes load up with hunters in the early goose season. Why? Not everyone can get permission to hunt fields. So if they want to hunt they are forced to hunt public water.

Saginaw bay had quite a few hunters on it last year targeting geese. I am sure that’s nothing new.

7. population control

population control

Your a no good roost hunter if you kill a goose over water !!! At least that what everyone tells me most of the time on here. Lol!!!

Pressure does change the game. No doubt. I’ll hunt anytime the seasons open. If that means swatting bugs or freezing my ass off , so be it.

8. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I HATE hunting when the mosquitoes are out! I hated hunting in SC when the rattlesnakes were out and active. The scorpions, the spiders that ate deer, the chiggers. You can have my space at when it's warm.

9. John Singer

John Singer

Hunting geese over water is not illegal in MI. If you feel that it is unethical, then do not do it.

While I do prefer hunting over land, I will hunt over water if I do not have access to a feeding field.

Why do you feel it is dumb?

duckbuster2 likes this.
  10. just ducky

just ducky

not agreeing or disagreeing, but it is happening here a lot, for some of the reasons others have already said.