close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2018-19 Waterfowl Seasons

Discussion in 'MichiganWaterfowl.com' started by DecoySlayer, Mar 17, 2018.

1. hmrx

hmrx

JS. The short answer is yes. For your info my balls are just fine. Amazing how a common metaphor gets turned into a blow below the belt. Stay on target above the gutter. Read the research, a fine summary done by Widnr exsists. The USFW required a trial observation period over 3 years in Mi,Wi and IA combined of only 180 observations by "trained observers". A mere 20 per state per year, not many. Yes the observations were increased in some instances but, still an unusually small number. The USFW threshold was met of less than 14% non teal species shot at or harvested were observed. The number seemed to get better over the trial period. Hence we have our teal season. So non teal species do get shot whether one wants to admit it or not. Hopefully over time the the numbers will get better.

John Singer likes this.
  2. John Singer

John Singer

I apologize for the innuendo.

I have to admit to you and agree that I was not a fan of the teal seasons in northern, waterfowl production states when they were first proposed. If you do a search through the archives of this forum, you can find my posts regarding this.

I have observed that some inexperienced and some slob hunters either cannot or will not identify ducks properly. I have called in violations that I observed to the RAP hotline.

I also know that some ducks (such as shovelers) are easily mistaken for bluewing teal.

Also, I agree that the pressure in wetlands from the early teal season negatively affects the quality of the youth waterfowl hunt at places like Fish Point. I have observed this personally in recent years.

However, I am definitely a fan of the increased waterfowl hunting opportunities. We have an obligation to police ourselves and conduct our hunts in a legal/ethical manner. I too hope that violations will decline rather than increase.

I think we may agree more than disagree on these issues.

3. hmrx

hmrx

JS. I concur. I would bet we agree on more than you think concerning ducks in general. Passion for the resource and policing our ranks for future generations is so vitally important. Your opinion is always important.

John Singer likes this.
  4. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

The flaw in the logic is that we already have the early goose season where people are out shooting all over the wetlands. The additional shots from a few teal wont make a hill of beans difference with how skiddish the mallards and wood ducks are come opening day.

Wolverine423 and craigrh13 like this.
  5. craigrh13

craigrh13

Exactly.

6. John Singer

John Singer

I disagree. The flaw in your logic is that the early goose seasons have been in place for nearly 30 years. The teal hunts have increased the pressure on marshes and wetlands. Many have noticed this and the state of Minnesota has elected not to participate for this reason among others.

Surely, most successful goose hunting effort occurs on dry crop fields. The hunts that occur on water are often not in areas where teal and wood ducks are found.

7. craigrh13

craigrh13

The good thing is we are hunting migrating waterfowl. So if for some reason people are running into empty marshes on opening day(I have not experienced that on public land) then just wait and there will be plenty of birds filtering through.

Wolverine423 likes this.
  8. John Singer

John Singer

I appreciate full well what you are saying. In places like Saginaw Bay, new birds arrive by the regular opener to replace those displaced by pressure during the early seasons. You and I had discussions last fall about the birds passing through the east side of the Bay.

However, in much of northern Michigan, there are habitats that support broods of birds that do not attract migrating birds. I am pretty confident that the early teal season can negatively affect the youth hunts and regular season hunts in these habitats.

9. craigrh13

craigrh13

I believe there is some minor disruption in areas. However, overall? I don’t believe it matters much. I’ll take more days to hunt anytime it’s given to me.

Wolverine423 likes this.
  10. John Singer

John Singer

Again, I agree. However, some will complain that their opening days are not the same. They may well be right.

I too prefer the opportunity to hunt on more days.

craigrh13 likes this.
  11. craigrh13

craigrh13

I believe weather and habitat is the bigger reason to blame but that’s my opinion. Even then, I’m ata point where I don’t even care about opening day anymore. Too many damn people.

12. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I still believe that the migration patterns have changed as well.

I agree about skipping opening day. If I don't hunt private property, I don't hunt the first day.

13. Cork Dust

Cork Dust

Actually, you are both right: weather and habitat have resulted in changed migration patterns, particularly in the last three years.

14. DecoySlayer

DecoySlayer

I believe the biggest change is more water in the center of county. Ducks are lazy, they will only do what they have to.

One thing is for sure, things change. At one time there were massive flocks of snow geese that overflew Michigan during rifle season. Now I hardly see any. There were no Canada geese here, now they are everywhere.

Changes in vegetation in the Lakes, less celery, more invasives.

There has not been a drastic change over the past few years, it's been slow and steady. It will change again. The only thing we can do is keep, and improve, as much wetlands habitat as we can. Join Ducks Unlimited, and/or, start working at the Pointe Mouillee Waterfowl Festival and Michigan Duck Hunter's Tournament and do your part. THEN, when migration patterns shift back this way, they will have a place to stay.

By the way, if I remember correctly, Pointe Mouillee had one of it's best years last year for ducks. Hard work pays off.

TheHighLIfe likes this.
  15. TheHighLIfe

TheHighLIfe

there is no law stopping people from being ignorant.
    some guys shoot more than their limit of hens and toss them, but i doubt minnesota would decline a duck season because of them
    we should not deprive responsible and knowledgeable hunters from a teal season because of a handful of ignorant hunters - some of whom may be new to hunting and will get the hang of distinguishing teal from wood ducks with some more experience. i doubt they go out with intent to shoot wood ducks and young mallards instead of teal.

DecoySlayer likes this.