close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2017 Hummingbird Migration Map

Discussion in 'Michigan Non-Game Animals, Plants, and Scenery' started by Bonz 54, Apr 20, 2017.

1. finlander

finlander

I did buy coral bells this spring. Two different plants planted side by side. One plant has shown some life by have 4-5 stalks but very small flowers less than a thimble in size. Other has shown no stalks or buds.

2. Scout 2

Scout 2

We have a couple of batches of little ones. They showed up at the feeder on Sun

3. ebijack

ebijack Premium Member

We had lots of visitors yesterday. If the dang sparrows would stop chasing them away I'm sure they would be here more and often. I was lucky to get 3 shots yesterday that were mostly in focus. Again, cheap auto focus/zoom camera.. when it works.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It has become rare that they go to or feed from the 3 feeders we have. They typically (if not chased off) check/feed from every black and bloom silvia flower. We only have 2 of those plants. But, the hang time is fantastic compared to our feeders.

cedarlkDJ, Mike and wannabapro like this.
  4. Scout 2

Scout 2

The bear got our feeder last week. Put up a new one and the birds come to it every morning but not much during the day

5. cedarlkDJ

cedarlkDJ proud to be a....... Premium Member

Those are some great shots jack!!

Not sure where you read that but, I've never seen them leave early. It's just getting into prime flower time. I'm still filling the feeders every 2-3 days. I put a cam on one Sat. to see if any babies are visiting yet. Not yet but, plenty of males around still.......

7-8_1.JPG
    7-8_2.JPG
    7-8_3.JPG
    7-8_4.JPG
    7-8_5.JPG

ebijack and Mike like this.
  6. finlander

finlander

Where are you in Michigan, the
    ones who still have males appearing?

7. ebijack

ebijack Premium Member

Did you look at our locations.

8. Vicious Fishous

Vicious Fishous

These are some great shots. We don't have as many hanging around as we did last year. We did get to see some kind of mating, or territorial display. A male was pestering a female by buzzing her as she perched. He was flying in a progressively larger U shaped pattern up and down, a little higher each time. He's done that that the last few days. It was cool to see.

Mike and ebijack like this.
  9. finlander

finlander

Those of u having good luck this year with birds at your feeders,
    are you using cane or beet sugar?
    I used beet for the first few years then switched. Now I see few birds, only transients. Some years have good numbers, other years have less.

10. finlander

finlander

Who is in cities? Who is in the country near woods with abundant bugs nearby? Well water or city water?

11. ebijack

ebijack Premium Member

I'm in the slum area of Warren.

12. hitechman

hitechman Michimaniac

Small city..............still getting 4-5 visits a day from mainly females and juveniles. No Orioles for 2 weeks now. I think they may have migrated a little early this year.

Steve

13. finlander

finlander

I read on a site, that the males
    come north first and leave first,
    after mating. If no babies yet, maybe the females weren't in the mood.

14. cedarlkDJ

cedarlkDJ proud to be a....... Premium Member

That web site by the op is a good one to research......

Gender Differences in Migration

Male hummingbirds migrate northward as much as three weeks earlier in the spring than females. In the fall, the mature males similarly leave earlier than females and immature birds. Several reasons are generally offered for this behavior:

• by arriving first, the earliest males have their choice of the best territories, which improves their chances of attracting females for breeding. But this advantage must be balanced against the risk of arriving before food is plentiful.
    • females - who will soon be nesting - will find more and better-developed flowers on the spring migration route if they leave somewhat later; in promiscuous species such as hummingbirds, which do not form pair bonds at all, breeding females are more valuable than males, and a reliable food supply reduces their risk.
    • the early fall departure of the males may leave a richer diet available for the developing young of the year.
    Distribution and Migration
    Ruby-throats breed throughout eastern to Midwestern North America, from southern Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. Most winter in Mexico, Central America, and on Caribbean islands, although a few remain in the Gulf states and the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Most researchers accept a remarkable non-stop crossing of the Gulf, taking 18-20 hours. They arrive at the coast in late February or early March, and follow the development of spring flowers northward, reaching my home in St. Louis on April 20 +/- 2 days. Males migrate earlier than females, in both directions; some adult males start south as early as July. Our female breeding birds leave here (St. Louis) in September, with the young of the year following; the last juveniles depart abruptly at first frost (mid-October). By mid-November the fall migration is essentially completed throughout North America.

Males are gone around me by late August. I saw some babies the other day. Cute little suckers. I put a cam out yesterday but, didn't get any babies. Still plenty of hummers around though....

c_5.JPG
    c_2.JPG
    c_1.JPG
    c_3.JPG
    c_4.JPG

ebijack likes this.