close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2017 Grand Traverse Bay Thread

Discussion in 'Big Lake Cold Water Fishing Reports' started by Jim_MI, Apr 2, 2017.

1. ajhallfr

ajhallfr

Ended up going solo this afternoon and found a few fish. Ended up with 3 lakers (1 throw back), 2 cisco, and a coho jack. All on spoons. IMG_20170910_200112932_HDR.jpg

schmittoes, limige and UBDSLO1 like this.
  2. alk355

alk355

Just wanted to give everyone on east bay a heads up about a group of hot headed yahoos in a blue and white 18-20ft boat with a bimini- We were trolling along with 2 riggers, 3 dipsys and one 10 color straight down the chute and we noticed the blue boat behind us getting closer pretty fast. I was at 2.6-2.8mph, they must have been around 3.5 or better. Finally I look and say to my buddy, they have to be damn near right over my lead core right now. I spead up a bit and started to swing out because they continued to just come right up on us- no other boats near by either. Well, once I got out to the side headed away, there goes the 10 color screaming! Dont know if it was in their rigger cables or dipsey, but it snapped off losing about a color and a half. Not happy, we trolled on and gave some hand gestures, but don't think tbey even noticed. 2 hrs later, they come from across the bay right at me, I'm in 115 fow already and they are not giving any room, so I popped my dipsys on that side and angled right back at them to keep from getting pushed all the way to the beach. They cruise past, once again with no reservations (or stern light at 8:45p.m.). They end up at the dock about the same time as us and asked my buddy holding the boat how we did (3 kings and a decent trout)and said they had none. I calmly asked if i could get my j-plug and some of my lead back to a response from the older guy "I don't think we got any of that". I said "are you sure?" The much larger younger guy says "oh this thing?" holding my green ladder back and gives it back to me. The older one says "I don't know where we could hhave gotten that from". I said " probably when you ran up on me and drove over my line around 6:30, you guys should try to learn a little bit of etiquette if your gonna be out here". The big guy starts blowing up yelling " you f*@$kers need to learn how to fish and not be runnin sh#* 200 feet back!" I calmly said "it was 10 colors of lead core, its a pretty common set up out here" a bunch more "you need to learn how to fish" and "you better not talk to that big boy like that" was shouted as we packed up. I could only imagine the damage they would do to somebody running multiple cores and coppers on boards. Just hoping nobody else runs into these a-holes and looses a bunch of expensive gear. - As far as the fishin, got our 3 kings on dipsy/flies and riggers/spoons about 80-110ft down over 110-150 fow. Laker grabbed a rigger spoon as we were pulling lines.

3. ABienk86

ABienk86

So they got skunked, you got 4...but you're the ones who need to "learn how to fish?" Hmm. A little common courtesey goes a long way.

alk355 likes this.
  4. limige

limige

I noticed there's a lot of people in East Bay that are sleeping at the wheel not paying attention where they are going and run away to close one dude almost ran over my boards there's no reason to be that close to somebody

5. ABienk86

ABienk86

We had a pontoon boat that was out cruising run at top speed 15 feet past our boards then thread the needle between 3 or 4 other boats out there fishing. We also had a pontoon boat run us up into the shallows this year despite having plenty of room.

6. limige

limige

One guy cut 30 yards in front of use while he was pulling his lines a few weeks back. My dad didn't react very quickly had to hard turn and my divers all popped and I had to clear the copper out. Unreal. Need to start reporting MC numbers

7. btrout1

btrout1

Definitely get their MC's! We turned a boat in and a CO went and found them. Unsure if they got a ticket or not but they got a good talking to so we were told.

ABienk86 likes this.
  8. BryPaulD

BryPaulD

Glad you got some stuff back.. I almost compare running that West/South bank on East to rolling the hole on West.. Tough call on speeds topside.. I noticed quite a bit this year my surface speed quite fast @ 3.5+ mph, when the probe at the ball 80-100 down reports 2.4/2.6.. And of course NOBODY wants to move at all off the narrow line of 80' to 120' fow.. There's been times I've said screw it and just turned a giant circle and resumed my track/direction just to be way away from dumb bass :D

UBDSLO1 and fishgtbay like this.
  9. martemucci

martemucci

Sorry to hear about your trouble with the goof balls but nice report on fishing. I have been off the water for three weeks and just got back. Living on West Bay three miles south of the State Park. Thanks for the update on fishing. I will report after I get out Friday - Sunday. Sounds like some Kings in the bay?

10. branchhanger

branchhanger

We went out last Saturday morning; 4 lakers and 8 lbs coho; nice fish. We got tight with a few guys but everyone was pretty respectful. I would ask for the guys on the outside, don't pinch the boats on the inshore side. I follow right of way rules, and just ask the same respect.

On a strange note; came across this floating out in the middle of easy bay; dock section. Glad we saw it before we hit it. Towed it into ER. That could be scary.

Attached Files:

11. ABienk86

ABienk86

Good thing you found it in the daylight.

12. Outdoor2daCore

Outdoor2daCore

Thanks for grabbing that!!! coulda been a terrible day for someone, kudos to you! Best of luck out there

13. bassnbucks

bassnbucks

Went out of elk rapids this am with a buddy. Had my first quad of the season but all were sisco. Fished 3 hours and ended with 18 sisco and 2 healthy lakers. Plus about 5 pull offs. We kept baits high trying for some salmon but no luck on those today. Was a good time when all six rods were out of the water at once though

14. schmittoes

schmittoes

Were you catching the Cisco on spoons?

15. ABienk86

ABienk86

Have some family up this weekend. Screwing around on my parents pontoon. Cousin got a nice laker. Elk Rapids jig 110 fow just out from the Elk Rapids marina.

Attached Files: