close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2017 Grand River Fish Ladder Updates

Discussion in 'South West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by wilsonm, Feb 23, 2017.

1. jps

jps

Yes. You are correct. I just asked about fishing regs on campus and I was told that since 2013 bank fishing is allowed downstream of the Kzoo street bridge (by IM circle facility) NORTH BANK ONLY.

I was also told that they've been planting steelhead every spring for the past 4-5 years.

2. meatfishhunter

meatfishhunter

The problem with steel is they always go as far as possible and not to where they were born or planted. I have even seen them in ditches while sucker spearing in the saginaw river tribs a few times. That area of river is highly dependent on water levels when it comes to fall salmon, steelhead on the other hand will modt likely come through every spring

jps likes this.

3. wilsonm

wilsonm

IMG_2173.JPG
    This was the first steelhead plant in April 2013 on the bridge behind the Kellogg Center. It was a pretty cool day for Matt and I seeing we are both fisheries grads from MSU. At least there is now opportunity where it didn't exist before.

Benz, slowpaya, jps and 1 other person like this.
  4. jps

jps

Thank you guys for your work! And... Go Green!

5. Mr Burgundy

Mr Burgundy

I think u ment BLUE

Smada962 likes this.
  6. Cod

Cod

Ive caught steelhead on campus in the spring, and briefly had a salmon on last fall. Fish get here but i was just wondering if the dams are open to allow them more east

jps likes this.
  7. wilsonm

wilsonm

Moores Park is as far as they can go on the Grand.

slowpaya and jps like this.
  8. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

pm sent

9. Hunterog

Hunterog

Hello fellow Fisherman and women, I was hoping for some update on coho numbers on the Grand, thinking on doing some kayaking tomorrow. Has anyone fished above the Webber Dam?

slowpaya likes this.
  10. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

trolled about 6 miles in the res,coupla small smellmouths.had about 70 hos swarming around the other day wading,went to same spot today and there was a coupla.got about 6 small smellmouths...they have passed them thru the fish ladder so they are up there.prolly in lansing(assuming g.l. is passable).its soooo low thooo.stood at the boat launch upriver from lyons and you could watch them trickle by in the morn.are you spotting a vehicle or just paddling back hunterog??

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    wilsonm and Hunterog like this.
  11. Hunterog

Hunterog

I will be paddling back, thought i would try s of webber dam first, then head upriver from there. I don't know that area well. Any help is appreciated, thanks. trying to get my girlfriend on fish other than perch or walleye!

slowpaya likes this.
  12. slowpaya

slowpaya Premium Member

yea...ill send ya a pm

Hunterog likes this.
  13. wilsonm

wilsonm

We checked the ladders on the Grand today. Started at Grand Ledge, saw one fish porpoise, went to Portland and didn't see much there though it's hard to see fish when we clean these. No fisherman at either. Webber had 60 coho's in the ladder with many porpoising in the impoundment near the ladder. There were some fish hitting the apron on the spill side also. About a half a dozen fisherman there. The river is extremely low and many of the coho's were starting to show a little color. Webber still is spilling because they don't have enough CFS to run thier turbines. 6th Street had a fair amount of coho's in the ladder moving up and about 15 fisherman. Good luck and hope for rain!

14. Cod

Cod

I assume the salmon fishing is gunna get worse in this warm stretch? is there any movement of fish further upstream of lansing? i saw one coho in one of my holes on campus, but not much else. river is really low here. thx for any info

15. MickL

MickL Premium Member

I'm going back to bass/pike fishing until we get cooler weather or a decent rain.

jps likes this.