close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2017 Chinook Salmon Egg Take

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by M. Tonello, Oct 3, 2017.

1. surfstalker

surfstalker

Last time there were low numbers of kings in the lake (late 90's) I had a few years of huge steelies of the beach, leading up to the year 2000 when I beached a couple just over 20 pounds. Also caught several coho over 25 pounds in 98 and 99. Looking forward to a great year off the beach, just need some cold water.

2. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

FYI Chinook salmon egg take will resume tomorrow (Tuesday Oct. 10th) at the Little Manistee Weir. If we have enough fish and they're ripe, we will go again on Wednesday Oct. 11th.

slowpaya and The Ghettoblaster like this.

3. The Ghettoblaster

The Ghettoblaster

We stopped by the weir on Saturday. My kids always like seeing the fish jumping. First time we've been there with fish in the ponds and using the ladder. They got a kick out of all the fish jumping in the ponds. Was pretty overcast so it was hard to see the fish below the weir but there were some in there.

slowpaya likes this.
  4. FISHMANMARK

FISHMANMARK

What time will you start / finish. I'd like to bring my son up to see this.

slowpaya likes this.
  5. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

We typically start taking eggs around 9am. Finish time varies based on how many fish we have and how many eggs we need for that particular hatchery. If you want to be guaranteed of seeing the egg take process, I'd come sometime between 9am and noon.

slowpaya, mdj and 357Maximum like this.
  6. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

Had another successful day of egg take down at the Little Manistee Weir. Spawned 175 pairs of Chinook salmon, for a harvest of 438. That brings us to a season total of 834. We passed 463 coho, for a season total of 878. Biggest coho today was 13.9 lbs. Passed 101 steelhead, for a season total of 187. Had one big buck that was 17.7 lbs. Had at least one more over 15 and a number of fish from 12-15. Get ready for war this fall, they are going to be hard to handle! Also passed 6 brown trout, for a season total of 13.

We are planning on taking eggs again tomorrow.

troutguy26, gino, slowpaya and 5 others like this.
  7. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Thnx for the egg reports, Now when I'm up in a tree in manistee I'll be thinking I should have went fishing

slowpaya likes this.
  8. salmon_slayer06

salmon_slayer06

Thanks for the hard work. Good to see this on here.

slowpaya likes this.
  9. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

Had the third day of Chinook salmon egg take today at the Little Manistee Weir. We spawned 210 pairs, harvesting 397 Chinooks. That gets us to a season total of 1,231 Chinook salmon. We passed 381 cohos, for a season total of 1,259. We had one big male coho today that went 15.1 lbs! We passed 81 steelhead, for a season total of 268. We also passed 8 brown trout for a season total of 21.

Our next egg take day is planned for next Wednesday, October 18th. If all goes well, we will also pull the weir and drain the ponds on that day.

troutguy26, gino, Jay Wesley and 5 others like this.
  10. toto

toto

Just wondering, how many pairs does it take to have an adequate amount of eggs?

slowpaya likes this.
  11. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

Depends on a number of different things, including egg quality and viability, number of eggs per female, etc. Factors like water temperature and ripeness of the fish can play a role. For example, a "just ripe" female doesn't have as good of egg quality as one that is definitely ripe. Conversely though, they can also get overripe, leading to what we call "buckshot" eggs that are basically already dead.

We're not taking as many eggs as we have in the past, since we're not stocking as many. I think this year something like 400 pairs will do it. We're almost there.

Dpricher and slowpaya like this.
  12. SJC

SJC

Sweet! Looks like there's going to be some tackle busting steelies around this season. I'm glad we have our chinook eggs, but I know a river where you could have got them all in one shot. It's even set up for egg take...

jumbojake and slowpaya like this.
  13. carpslayer

carpslayer

Sure wish us fisherman could purchase eggs from the weir!!

BDuff1234, slowpaya and 357Maximum like this.
  14. M. Tonello

M. Tonello

Yesterday was the fourth and final day of the 2017 Chinook salmon egg take. We spawned another 160 pairs of Chinook salmon. Once the egg take was completed, we raised the weir grates, so all remaining fish in the river now may pass upstream of the weir. Today we cleaned out all the ponds, turned the pumps off, and winterized the facility.

Again had some big fish again this week. Several Chinooks topped 27 lbs. Multiple cohos topped 17 lbs. The biggest steelie this week was 16.1 lbs.

Here are the final numbers for the 2017 fall season at the Little Manistee Weir:
    1,768 Chinook salmon harvested
    3,567 coho salmon passed
    484 steelhead passed
    43 brown trout passed

Steve, CrickNotCreek, mdj and 10 others like this.
  15. BearCreekPro

BearCreekPro

Mr. Tonello- Thanks for sharing all this information! Much Appreciated! Keep doing what you do best!