2016 Spring Turkey Harvest Numbers

Discussion in 'MichiganTurkey.com' started by Liver and Onions, May 5, 2018.

1. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

2. michiganoutdoorsman

michiganoutdoorsman

All I’m seeing is something about the NBA and traveling lol.

3. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

It would only be a guestement any way.

itchn2fish likes this.
  4. LabtechLewis

LabtechLewis

Spring Turkey Season...what a great way to kick off the new hunting year. Another conservation success story! Who's got it better than us? Thanks for posting.

itchn2fish and Liver and Onions like this.
  5. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

3 counties with an estimated harvest of over 1000 birds in spring of '16. Interesting to then compare harvest numbers with entries in the CBM Record Book.

L & O

itchn2fish and retired dundo like this.
  6. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

7. retired dundo

retired dundo

I don’t think you can go by CBM record book.I bet not Evan 5percent of people would bother.One reason is it is a lot easier to get a turkey for the book than a deer.Only need 12 inch’s a lot of 2year olds would make 12

itchn2fish likes this.
  8. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

Not a fan of that scoring system

itchn2fish likes this.
  9. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

A number of hunters wish that the system selected about 35 years ago would have evened up the value of the beard & spurs. Glad that they did not go along with the NWTF that includes the bird's weight from a certified scale.

L & O

itchn2fish likes this.
  10. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

I'll agree throw weight out, some of best birds spur wise are 16-18lbls.And weighing officially is a pain. But imo spurs have got to hold more weight.

11. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

No idea what % of the birds that qualify are entered into the book, but it is low. Also, no real good idea on what % of the toms harvested do qualify. Quite high in ZZ, quite low north of that line.
    This is what I was referring to by the comparison. You can see the DNR estimated harvest #s in post 4. Then you can look at the entries from all of 2016(spring &fall) from last summer's CBM magazine publication that came in July. Not a lot of entries. A few more will be added each year from 2016 for a while, but not a lot.
    I don't think it's much with deer.

L & O

itchn2fish likes this.
  12. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

bump

You can report your spring turkey results to the DNR whenever you are done hunting. Thread in this forum with the link.

L & O

13. QDMAMAN

QDMAMAN Premium Member

Have you ever gone through the successful Hunter Thread in the contest and estimated how many of the birds would qualify? M
    Might be interesting to see what percentage do. As a group, our success rate is pretty darn good!

14. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

How many of the qualifying birds are actually entered in CBM or NWTF? I think it is very few.

The weight of birds varies greatly from the southern lower to the northern lower and the UP it is great that CBM does not take it into the score. If I had wanted to enter the three multiberards I shot in the UP it would have been a pain as I drew them before I left the motel I was staying at. I did gut one at a rest area along US 2. Some woman walked from the other end the rest area to see what I was doing. She then bitched at me for doing it there. I told her to head her fancy motor home back to Illinois as I pay taxes to maintain the rest area for her and I to use and she doesn't. She did not have to be nosy about what I was doing and walk over 100 yards to see and then bitch about it. I had parked that far away so I did not offend any one.