close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

20 inch perch

Discussion in 'Icefishing UP inland lakes and big lake bays' started by neazor91, Mar 5, 2017.

1. neazor91

neazor91

Has anyone heard of a 20 inch perch being caught in Milakokia lake? My neighbor saw a picture, but doesn't know the story.

Mike

2. Outdoor2daCore

Outdoor2daCore

I'd like to know more as well, I've heard of some coming close to that size from the UP but that happened 50+ years ago

3. GuppyII

GuppyII

I'll text some people, several friends live up there. My father is heading to Mano today to shoot, if anything happened like that those old boys will hear about it.

4. GuppyII

GuppyII

5. GuppyII

GuppyII

6. GuppyII

GuppyII

Nobody has heard about a 20 Inch perch, but, they have been taking some hogs..

7. 7mmsendero

7mmsendero

Perch get that big in Europe, and it's basically the same species as ours. In terms of biology it's not impossible. Those pictures are awesome.

Northcountry likes this.
  8. PIKE

PIKE

I looks like somebody airbrushed a smallmouth! Wow!

9. Northcountry

Northcountry

I agree, they just need time to grow. I found this video on Youtube years ago....perch fishing in Siberia. These guys are catching giant perch, as casual as can be. I have no doubt there are 20-inchers over there......

-NC

10. cedarlkDJ

cedarlkDJ proud to be a....... Premium Member

We let those little 20 inchers go, to grow up down here.......:)

big perch.jpg

11. Outdoor2daCore

Outdoor2daCore

Thanks for sharing that video, those are absolute monsters. They release some really big fish as well! Those guys would laugh at the fish we keep and are happy with.

Northcountry and growninmi like this.
  12. hoot619

hoot619

15.5 inches and I saw the picture Wednesday night. Most likely a female full of eggs.
    This is hoot619 I saw the picture Wednesday night, the lady who showed it says it was 15 1/2 inches. I haven't ice fished in 4 years but that perch sure got me thinking . I'm missing to much sitting at home. I also was informed a real nice fish shack on one of the lakes is sunk. Not much showing, going to be a chore to get it out, Ken U

6667supersport and neazor91 like this.
  13. Northcountry

Northcountry

I wouldnt want to keep those big Siberia perch to eat, for several reasons! (Chernobyl fallout, Hg and heavy bones, primarily). I assume they were going to eat them because they went into a fish basket. Still, it would be awesome to handle so many giant perch, take a pic and release.

We catch tons of perch each winter and our (somewhat flexible) rule is to only keep 8"-10" to eat. We release the 11"-13.9", anything over 14" goes on the fantasy stringer mount. I've got 4 of them, up to 16".

-NC

neazor91 likes this.
  14. Walleye1991

Walleye1991

I know it's a ways yet before Ice Fishing comes back around, but I would like some information regarding this topic. Which inland lakes produce the best ice fishing action? My family owns some land in the Moran area and I'd like to check it out sometime, and I've only fished there in the Spring, Summer and Fall.