20 Gauge chokes and shells

Discussion in 'MichiganTurkey.com' started by D.mcgill, Mar 3, 2014.

1. D.mcgill

D.mcgill

So I want to use my browning gold hunter 20 gauge 3in. I'm wondering what choke tube and shell combo works well and if anyone else uses a 20 gauge and has some tips for me.

2. srconnell22

srconnell22

I've had good luck with a Truglo SSX and Federal Heavyweight 7s.

3. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

20 gauges are for woman and children hike up your skirt Nancy and buy a 10 gauge and slip some 3.5 inch 3oz Nitros in that bad boy..

4. brownitsdown84

brownitsdown84

haha come on now I have killed 3 with my 12 gauge and if I don't use my bow this year i'll be using my 20 gauge as well...
    Subscribed.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

5. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

We are killing turkeys here, not grouse, woodcock, sparrows or chickadees go big or go home.

6. jasonmeekhof

jasonmeekhof

Ah make it a challenge. .410 full choke. :)

Sent from my LG-E980 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

7. JSBowman

JSBowman

Try one of the True Glow chokes, and put a few different loads through it. See what it likes.

8. JSBowman

JSBowman

What do you have against a 20g goose?

9. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

Reference post 3.. What is a "Tru Glow" choke by the way.. Does "True Glow" make a INV+ 20 gauge choke.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  10. JSBowman

JSBowman

Sounds like your compensating for something.

As for the choke, I apologize for being incorrect. TRUGLO does not make one for that gun. Sorry for the miss information. The Primos tight wad does though. Might want to try that one.

11. srconnell22

srconnell22

He must be.

To the OP... A 20 ga isn't nearly enough gun if you want to reach out there and touch them. I sure enjoy telling my buddies about the long beard I smoked at 60+ yards each year when he hung up and wouldn't come any closer.

10 ga with 3.5" 5's is the only way to go. These things are so dang tough to kill, you'll love the extended range for those later season call shy tom's. If they could smell nobody would ever kill one.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  12. dmrbigeshott

dmrbigeshott

Girlfriend was using a 870 20ga, 3" hevi shot 6's and rolled one at 31 yards last season. Undertaker choke tube.

13. JSBowman

JSBowman

You won't be making 70 yard shots with a 20g, but it will reach out to 45 yards with no problem. Isn't the the point to call them in close anyway?

14. fishagain

fishagain Banned

He's kidding. Maybe you don't know his 20ga legacy?:) Could be America's foremost expert on that turkey 'pea shooter'!:D

15. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

:lol: Pea shooter my 20 thinks about 90 percent of 12s toted to the woods are pea shooters..

:lol:

I switched over maybe exclusively in 06 I said I would never tote a 12 again but may kill a couple with a 12 this year and longbeards.. I do not know very much however about the Browning INV+ as it is .630 in bore diameter where Benellis and Remington tend to run .620.. But the INV+ bore will shoot as it seems to win the 20 gauge division at still target shoots. Naturally one would think just to open it up .010 but that is not always the case.. There really is not a whole lot of guys shooting an INV+ 20 gauge compared to other brands because the guns with that threading tend be more expensive..

One thing to note is what type of performance you want? Essentially lead is dead in the 20 gauge if you want to shoot 40 yards.. I have shot every lead load available in the 20 gauge through a host of chokes and all peter out at 35 yards.. I have never seen a lead 40 yard pattern out of a 20 I would feel comfortable with of my own or others.. So that leads to HTL..

There are two loadings in the 20 if you go heavier than lead you should consider.. The Fed HW 7s and the Hevi Shot H12 7s.. Both are good on the patterning board. The Hevi 7s will kill every bird you shoot at at respectable ranges the Fed HW however will out penetrate them much better.. One thing to note is recoil difference, the Fed HWs are no slouch in the recoil department as it is a full 1.5 oz of shot.. I think in most cases the Fed HWs will pattern the Hevi 7s if you are looking for MAXIMUM performance but the Hevi 7s tend to be a little more forgiving of choke.

The choke is kinda the dilemma I have a friend whom did extensive testing with the Fed 7s and Indian creek tubes whom he shoots for.. He found the 558, 560 and 565 in Indian Creek shot the best delivering 150-160 type patterns at 40.. Problem being Indian Creek stresses DO NOT shoot Flight Control Wads out of our chokes and my friend had special chokes with no porting or wad catchers making them OK.. These chokes are not listed and do not know if they are even manufactured.

You got two routes you can take with chokes.. Buy a less expensive choke such buy both the above loads and hope something works out.. Or you can buy a higher priced choke from a reputable maker such Sumtoy, Tru Lock, Pure Gold and have a return policy in place if it does not work out plus you will be talking with someone with a higher knowledge of their chokes with the above loads in the INV+ bore.. I know Pure Gold has a tempest in 555 and 570 for the Fed 7s, William at Sumtoy builds a specialty choke for them as well and Trulock has a choke for them that seems to work..

Good luck