1st time smokimg wild turkey breast

Discussion in 'Cooking and Brewing' started by Sofa King what?, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Sofa King what?

Sofa King what?

A coworker bagged a turkey last year and told me he still had the breasts in his freezer and didn't know a good way to cook them. I told him I'd try smoking them if he was just going to let them get freezer burned anyway.

Soaked them in a salt/brown sugar brine for 24 hours, then trussed them up like a roast for uniform size/thickness and let sit open in fridge overnight to pelicate. Smoked them yesterday at 200° using apple wood smoke and occasionally mopping them with pure maple syrup untill they reached 160° internal.

Let them rest to room temp and cut off a little chef's sample and WOW! delicious!

Put them in the fridge to cool and will run them thru the slicer for cold cuts tonight. Giving 1/2 to co worker and keepimg the rest for myself.

I've never turkey hunted....but now I'm thinking I should give it a try. 20180415_140637.jpg

redneckengineer and growninmi like this.
  2. UncleNorby

UncleNorby

How was the moisture content after slicing?

3. Sofa King what?

Sofa King what?

It was decently moist- but dry enough to hold together...if that makes sense. I sliced it thin/shaved it with the slicer. I gotta say it is the tastiest turkey cold cut i have ever had. It turned out with a nice smoke ring around the outside and the maple syrup glaze gave it a touch of sweet...i would definitley make it again.