1st time on Erie

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by theshaunster, Aug 9, 2020.

1. theshaunster

theshaunster

I just took my boat on Erie for the first time! I was hesitant because it’s 17ft 25hp but in great shape. I asked for suggestions if it was alright to take and you guys gave me good info! It was a great time and a little scary. I was going for walleye but didn’t get any bites, mostly small perch and white bass along with some junk fish! I did though get a Master Angler for a fresh water drum. Good times!!! IMG_0621.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Bigfisher, mbs, MichMac and 14 others like this.
  2. Fishndude

Fishndude

Nice job for your first trip on Erie. Never completely lose your fear of the lake, because complacency will make you careless. But you found out you can have a good time out there, carefully. Be respectful of the lake, and keep an eye on the sky. If a quick storm blows in, your 25 will take awhile to get you to a harbor, especially if the waves build up. You should see what's on the other side of that point! lol

Next April, you can troll body baits inside Brest Bay, and just crush the Walleyes, with that boat.

3. theshaunster

theshaunster

Thank you! I just need to get a feel out there! Next couple years I will buy a new boat just don’t have all the time on the world. I get 3-4 times a month. Once kids get older then game on.

jumbojake, Shlack and settingnet like this.
  4. Bigbass201

Bigbass201

You don't have to go out very far to get bites and quality fish. Nice job!

5. settingnet

settingnet

Glad you had a nice time and overcame concerns by getting good advice and using good judgment. The Gus on this board are very helpful

6. settingnet

settingnet

7. theshaunster

theshaunster

I been on here a while and love all the great tips. I have shared as well! Such a good platform! I just wish the app would operate just a little better. I have fiber and I still have some issues but by no way does that take away form such a good website!!

8. boostedaudi

boostedaudi

Couldn't agree more. A lot of my fishing success can be attributed to the info I've gathered from here. The only negative I've ran into is getting Walleye22'd a few times.

kdx1980 and Kevin Hughes like this.
  9. Drake

Drake

What were the lake conditions when you were there ?
    My boat is simular in size and thinking of trying it !

Sent from my Pixel using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

wmcnamar likes this.
  10. the roofer

the roofer

Wasn’t bad this weekend..well besides the jacks that would open throttle 20’ from u in his 28’ cabin cruiser..it’ll rock a anchored boat to death..just be aware of that..

11. theshaunster

theshaunster

We were about 2-3 miles out from SSP! I was going for walleye because I read a lot of post that they were that far out. The waves were pretty choppy but just took it slow. When I got out about 2 miles I used my trolling motor and put it on autopilot and trolled. I saw some boats around perch fishing which I probably should have gone to but I just winged it.

Drake likes this.
  12. mbs

mbs

Congrats on the farm animal... nice! A master angler is a master angler, for any species, congrats!

theshaunster likes this.