1st. Hen harvest for 2020

Discussion in 'MichiganMushrooms.com' started by Woodbutcher-1, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

Yes, I do some pre-vacuum pack cleaning. Like I do when I dry morels, I never rinse them I just make sure no loose debris is present. But I revisit that when I thaw them, if they require scrubbing out embedded dirt specks it's better done post freezing.

The pre-freeze before vacuum packing doesn't seem to be necessary for me, so far. I never had any issue with burn unless a bag got ruptured jostling stuff around in the freezer. I separate and then overnight them in the fridge in a large container with a paper towel in there and moisture usually isn't an issue, and these I just cleaned weren't as wet as I thought they'd be.

Good info though, I love to share the ideas. What counts is are you getting what you want from your harvest.

More to come for sure!

EDIT: Sometimes, I put another seal on the bag when I see moisture creeping up, but that is usually just on fish.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    jeffm and DanSS26 like this.
  2. Woodbutcher-1

Woodbutcher-1

Does anyone know of a 12 step program for mushroom hunters ?? I need help PA020007.JPG

3. DanSS26

DanSS26

Do you guys only find hens by big old dead or partially dead Oaks? That is the only place I have been finding them. Never found any near a healthy looking tree. Also I have heard only by red oak. Is that true?

4. Oldgrandman

Usually big oaks that is for sure and I believe they are black oaks. So far I don't have to leave Kent county to get enough most seasons, so who knows about what everyone else does in other areas.

And most trees are in decent shape, more on this in a minute, maybe an upper limb blown or rotted off but generally vital looking trees dropping acorns on me. In fact my best big double hen tree broke off about 6 feet up from the ground and it's turned into a chicken tree! And it gets a few honey mushrooms now too.....zero hens anymore...WTF is up with that?!

On occasion I find a hen not closely associated with a tree, probably a root. These never repeat annually if at all. Also I'll find one on or near a deadfall tree with it's stump still there, though rotted from years of laying there decaying. Again, not a repeater for me.

Fascinating subject. Look forward to others replies.

DanSS26 and jeffm like this.
  5. Oldgrandman

LMAO!

Wow, you have a good spot or two going for you.

I checked another spot today that I hit Monday but missed one. It was just hit hard by the WX and maybe squirrels by today. Had I walked over and looked at the South side of the tree.....I probably would have had my first one of the year instead of rubble that I cussed at.

6. Woodbutcher-1

Woodbutcher-1

Never on a healthy tree.
    The tree must be dead or dying.
    Distressed, Lightening strike, damage to the top due to severe Wind damage.
    Some of my best finds, year after year were on stumps where trees had been cut for lumber.

zig and DanSS26 like this.
  7. DanSS26

DanSS26

The ones I find around dead Oaks are Oaks with the top already fallen, but still have bark. If I see an oak with bark and the top missing, I always check it out. Usually find one this time of year.

8. Oldgrandman

Wow. Crazy how things can differ for people. Just shows we shouldn't get stuck in our habits, might do us some good!

I just keep going back to where I do my best and will go from there. Making a scout run to all points of me tomorrow if it doesn't downpour!

DanSS26 likes this.
  9. Jrad76

Jrad76

First year ever mushroom hunting and I’m hooked.....feel like I’m gonna need a 12-step program to make it through winter. Started with morels, then chicken now hens, can’t wait to get out this weekend! 0B920229-9CC9-45C5-96B4-03D6E0352C0A.jpeg

10. DanSS26

DanSS26

It is definitely addicting. Once you get started you want to expand to more and more types. Your at three, it is only starting.

jeffm likes this.
  11. bobberbill

bobberbill

Finding shrooms are like finding an Easter egg, golf ball, or some other treasure. You'll figure out which ones you like most and harvest those few. The rest are just fun to find and figure out what they are.

One of my favorite sites to explore: Learn Your Land

Oldgrandman, DanSS26 and jeffm like this.
  12. DanSS26

DanSS26

Do you pay a lot of attention to the trees you find them by? Whenever I find a wild edible, I like to examine the environment it is growing in to help me find more. I even zoom in on pictures I see posted to learn more about the surrounding it is growing in.

Jrad76, Oldgrandman and jeffm like this.
  13. Oldgrandman

Yes. See post 19

DanSS26 likes this.
  14. Woodbutcher-1

Woodbutcher-1

Changed my clothes after getting home from Church. drizzling a bit so i put on my Frog Togs rain gear and headed into the woods a friends house . i didn't get skunked.
    [ATTACH PA040007.JPG ]584625[/ATTACH]

15. Woodbutcher-1

Woodbutcher-1

Spotted this dainty Specimen in a well manicured front lawn in my subdivision. I had no intention to talk to the home owner for permission to cut it. Mushrooms that grow in lawns that are sprayed with fertilizers, chemicals herbicides, pesticides etc. are OFF limits to me.
    I could not see the second one on the other side of the tree. The both were very nice and clean.

PA050001.JPG PA050003.JPG

Oldgrandman and DanSS26 like this.