1998 Johnson 115 2 stroke spraying water on Crestliner 1750

Discussion in 'Boating and Boat Rigging' started by CrawlerHarness, Oct 1, 2020.

1. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Working on my new to me 1998 Crestliner. Had it on Green Bay 2 weeks ago and had an unusual spraying coming off the motor to both sides. Not a huge problem, but unusual to me.

I plan on pursuing 2 things to fix:

1) Raise the boat motor by about 2 inches. The motor isn't extremely low, but my 2 pics should show the anti-cavitation plate perhaps 1-2 inches to low compared to the bottom of the boat. The 1750 hull really has a exaggerated "strake" in the center. This will be option 2 I pursue.

2) Move the (3) Group 29 Trolling motor batteries from just in front of the splash well to under the port console (passenger). Since the boat lists with only the 190 lb driver in the boat, this could possibly fix both issues. Easy enough to test by just moving the batteries and testing it out. If that doesn't work, then I can always move the batteries further forward and test.

Please feel free to comment and criticize. I expect this whole project to take a few months, as I try something and then take a week or 2 to get it on the water for the next test.

2. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Pictures of the anti-cavitation plate vs the hull bottom.

112.jpg 111.jpg

3. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

As for moving the batteries, as I understand it....batteries just need to be tied down in the boat, as well as the positive terminal needs to be covered.

I plan to use either a Plano Sportsman small tote, sold at Home Depot for $15. The dimensions are going to cut it close to fit (3) Group 29 batteries side by side. But I like the Plano best. Use 1-3 battery trays and screw it to the floor with SS screws as far under the passenger console as possible.

If the (3) batteries don't fit in the Plano, then I will have to use a different tote. I have a 17-gallon Menards tote (no brand) for $7.50 that I think will work.

The tote doesn't necessarily need to be that durable, as I won't be moving it. Just have the 200 lbs of batteries permanently in it. I also plan to mount a 3-bank charger on the side of the boat and keep it wired to the battery.

4. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Spray could very well be hull design

5. benelli/girl

benelli/girl

I have relocated my 2 trolling batteries toward the bow and installed a Minnkota charger, I had to extend the leads after consulting with minnkota! But I also made sure the battery compartment was vented. Charging batteries make explosive gasses. It took some time but my boat rides a lot better.

6. piketroller

piketroller

They don’t call them wetliners for nothing. The motor does look a little low, but I’m not sure that’s where the spray is coming from. Does it spray at all trim levels or just when you get it trimmed out on plane? I’m wondering if your speedo tube is causing some of the spray and a low transducer on the other side of the motor is causing the rest.

One thing I wouldn’t do right now is relocate the batteries until I used the boat enough to know that the space under the passenger console is something I’m OK losing. My boat has the starting and house battery in the starboard side, so it lists pretty good when I’m running solo (my weight sure ain’t helping) but it’s really a non issue. Now if your boat rides back end heavy, you could remove those batteries and do some test runs with a few 5 gallon buckets of water or sand bags in different parts of the boat to find where they work best.

fishinfever likes this.
  7. MisterTom

MisterTom

Looks too low to me, cav plate 1” above bottom of the v hull should be a good starting point. I’d figure that out first, then deal with weight distribution. If it doesn’t want to nose down in rough water, or takes too long to plane (power trim? can’t tell) then moving stuff will help. It might be a whole lot easier to install tabs, though. They do work quite well for stern heavy rigs.

8. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Good questions and comments from all of you so far. I have only had it out on 2 trips so far, and I wish I had taken a video of the spraying before-hand. It certainly could be the transducer and pitot tube, as the boat is reading about 15 mph too fast when it worked.

I also maxed out at 37 mph (GPS), which does sound pretty close to what it should be.

9. piketroller

piketroller

The pitot tube speedos are not very accurate, and they usually read higher than actual speed. Being off by 15 mph at WOT is in the normal range.