Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Sturty7, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Sturty7

Sturty7

Looking for a hand gun to use for protection mostly in my car for when my wife and I go on trips. I really want a 1911 .45acp and was leaning towards a Springfield mil spec variety. Heard good things about them and read good reviews what are others opinions?

2. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

I assume you have a CPL as you mention carrying in the car. Without a CPL, a loaded pistol in a motor vehicle = felony.

1911's are nice, accurate and been around for over 100 years. On the flip side, they aren't even close to being the lightest option and magazine capacity is typically 7+1. That might be a good option if your travels include draconian states like NY where magazine capacity is restricted for concealed carry. I think NJ bans hollow points...

Does your wife plan to shoot it? If so, a 1911 might not be the best option. Or get her a piece of her own.

There are some double stack 1911 variants. Para Ordinance use to offer the P14-45, which was a 14+1 1911 that was not much wider in the grips than a single stack. I think Springfield offers something similar.

For glove box carry, make sure to get a good holster for trigger protection.

Sent from my XT1585 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Jimbos likes this.

3. Jiw275

Jiw275

If you have not shot a 1911, rent one & try it out. I think you and your wife will find it very manageable.

I am not a Glock lover, however they seem to always shoot and are relatively inexpensive.

4. Jimbos

Jimbos

8 weeks a year in Petoskey, 44 in Livonia
    I have one and like shooting it.....but
    20111027112052.jpg
    Would rather utilize this for everyday use. IMHO
    20120214165957 (1).png

ESOX likes this.
  5. ibthetrout

ibthetrout

I have a 1911 style Kimber in .45 and after carrying it for a number of years have recently bought a single stack 9mm to carry. Carrying a big gun like the .45 as a side arm is a bit much sometimes. Strictly inside the car then not so much. I guess it depends on what you are doing with it.

6. jmoser

jmoser

I have a Ruger SR1911 stainless; very solid, accurate, and reliable. Good value for the $$.

Also have a Kimber custom covert; aluminum frame very nice to carry but $$.

Own a Springfield RO in 9mm, they make excellent 1911s too. Only knock on the Springfield is the 'locking' mainspring housing gimmick; easily replaced with a standard unit but hassle nonetheless. [Not sure if all Springfields use this - you mentioned Milspec model but check.]
    Also the Springfield has a titanium firing pin with extra strong spring; this is for the California 'drop test.' Also easily replaced with conventional pin and spring if you prefer. As above not sure if all models use this.

Any standard 1911 will benefit from an inexpensive trigger job for a crisp pull; your choice of weight on a SA carry gun.

As for carry be sure you are OK and become familiar with uncocked or 'cocked and locked;' one more thing to remember in a panic situation. Cocked and unlocked is a bozo no-no with a carry SA 1911.

Sturty7, alaska86 and Jimbos like this.
  7. Acts 11:7

Acts 11:7

Great truck gun! Mine is always in my truck. A trigger job on most as well as having the feed ramp polished are my recommendation. Speeds up the break in process so it will feed hollow points better.

8. Chappy410

Chappy410

x2 on Ruger SR1911. Have both 5" and 4 1/4" models. Both accurate with great triggers.
    4 1/4" easier to carry.

9. plugger

plugger Premium Member

I think this zig 226 makes a great truck gun. It is not a 1911 but close. Many people who are not regular pistol shooters have shot pretty well with it. The size and balance make it pretty manageable.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

jr28schalm and ESOX like this.
  10. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

I'm in total agreement. As much as I love 1911s, I like my P226 with 20 rounds of 9mm when heading into the abyss. And my wife can handle it much better than a 1911.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

plugger and Jimbos like this.
  11. plugger

plugger Premium Member

My wife and daughter shoot my 226, even in .40, easier than a lot of compact guns in 9. I really like the SA+DA trigger in conjunction with the decocker for a vehicle gun.

ESOX likes this.
  12. General Ottsc

General Ottsc

I agree with Jimbo. I have a Kahr like the one pictured as well and I like it. My 1911 is for fun at the range.

plugger likes this.