1906 Winchester .22

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by feedinggrounds, Jul 21, 2019.

1. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

I have been cleaning weapons for friends for a while, directing them to trusted gunsmiths with issues. I have been handed a 1906 Winchester .22 to clean, a older fellow inherited it decades ago. He claims he shot it a couple times. Closet rifle as he has no interest in them. Quick search online shows it is a 1919 Expert, half nickel. A non grooved forend with pistol grip stock. I would say fair to good condition. Any Winchester appraisers in Northern Mi, He needs to know what he has, he plans to rid himself of guns as he is selling home and moving to condo. Serial # 560264 B, I plan a simple action clean and shoot, with a preservation wipe down only, no restoration attempt at all.

2. Petronius

Petronius Staff Member Premium Member Mods

I saw one with nickle made in 1918 that had been restored listed for $1,995.00. The price for the 1906 Winchester seems to be all over the place.

3. feedinggrounds

feedinggrounds

I re examined this .22 what I thought was zero blue left on barrel and mag tube turns out to be nickel plating, so I would call it a Full Nickel, Expert Winchester 1919 build date. I will gently clean rifle, provide what I know so far to the owner. I would like to advise a Winchester collector or pro to advise proper value before he gives to his grandson. Perhaps he can give the rifle as a family keepsake along with a modern Ruger 10/22 or Marlin as his grandsons first .22 As I think that is what he is trying to do. A appraiser in NW Michigan would help a bunch. He is retired, works as a Golf Starter where I work. I seen enough online to know I am not able to value the rifle correctly. I never expected this when he asked me to clean up a old .22 leaning in his closet.