1903 Springfield

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification/Value' started by mike pavlat, Dec 16, 2018.

1. mike pavlat

mike pavlat

I have a model 1903 Springfield with serial number 71645. I cannot find any information on this 5 digit serial number. Does anyone have any date on this gun?

2. mike pavlat

mike pavlat

3. mike pavlat

mike pavlat

Yup I posted a pic of the serial number

4. Petronius

Petronius Staff Member Premium Member Mods

jeffm likes this.
  5. Petronius

The first 1903 rifles were chambered for .30-03. They were rechambered in and after 1906 for the .30 ball cartridge, .30-06.

6. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

Not sure what your plans are for the rifle but you should probably familiarize yourself with the dangers of shooting low serial numbered Springfields per heat treatment of bolts and receivers. The following does a pretty good synopsis of the problems and dangers.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1903-m1903a3/

"CMP DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE WITH A ”LOW NUMBER” RECEIVER. SUCH RIFLES SHOULD BE REGARDED AS COLLECTOR’S ITEMS, NOT “SHOOTERS”. "

9mm Hi-Power

ESOX likes this.
  7. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

All good points regarding safety concerns with low number 1903 Springfield rifles made by Springfield or Rock Island . The link below provides some useful information. All the best...
    Gil

http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

8. Petronius

Of all of the receivers made during that period, very few had any problems.

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  9. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

You are correct and after 1929 there were no more reported low number receiver failures in military service. The link states that the U.S. Army and U.S. Marines continued to use low number Springfield rifles throughout WWII. The Free French forces and other allies were issued the same rifles. Consider that there were over one million low number Springfield rifles produced. I have two sporterized low number Springfield rifles that I bought used and who know how many rounds were fired through them over the years. I still shoot them with my modest reloads. So it depends. All the best...
    Gil

Petronius likes this.