1887 Winchester

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by hommer23, Jul 10, 2019.

1. hommer23

hommer23

After drooling over a family heirloom for years, it’s finally in my safe. I went down and helped my parents do some stuff around their yard yesterday when my dad said “let’s have a beer”, so we sat down and had a conversation about my mom and his life in general. After about 20 minutes he said let’s go downstairs, I’m thinking he wants help with something else, but nope he opens the gun safe and pulls out 3 guns, 1 was a Marlin .35Rem that I bought him 20 years ago, his Remington 1100 12ga that has had maybe 75 shells put through it, the last one was the 1887 that has been in the family for over 100 years. I have to search the serial number to get the year but I am guessing it’s somewhere around 1903 with the serial number can read.
    D8A0B6DE-CB3E-4605-A7CD-3F3CAA117790.jpeg 54094999-1994-4A18-8082-AB2941593018.jpeg

2. benelli/girl

benelli/girl

Congratulations! I remember when I received my grandfathers shotguns, very happy to have them, and looking forward to passing them to my grandkids!

hommer23 likes this.

3. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Certainly a nice shotgun. But, they changed them in 1901. So, it might be a little older then you think.

hommer23 likes this.
  4. aquaalf

aquaalf Banned

Looks to be in great condition and would be more than welcome in anyone's gun collection. Having that one that has been in the family for so long just adds to the value, I am sure that you will take great care of it.

hommer23 likes this.
  5. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

I'm lucky enough to have one too!!!! It was my great Grandfather's and mine is an 1897. Most people don't even realize there used to be lever action shotguns.

Coolest antique shotgun in my little collection for sure.

hommer23 likes this.
  6. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

These are great guns too.
    I have a friend in Texas that has his grandfathers (he's seventy this year) 1897. It had a cracked stock but was still fireable. The story went that his grandmother insisted the gun be kept unloaded in the house. So, when someone broke in during the depression the old guy didn't have time to loaded so he beat the guy down with it. That's when the stock cracked. His Grandfather was a minister by the way.

hommer23 likes this.
  7. 9mm Hi-Power

9mm Hi-Power Premium Member

Here you go -

9mm Hi-Power

8. Gil Martin

Gil Martin

Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing. I like a story with a happy ending. Well done. All the best...
    Gil

hommer23 likes this.
  9. hommer23

hommer23

Little more back story. My Uncle had his house broken into in the early 80’s, 2 of his pistols were stolen that he brought home from Germany so he gave the 1887 to his nephew (wife’s side) to keep until he was sure things settled down in his neighborhood. When he asked for the gun back his nephew was less then happy, he thought it should be his, that’s when he had “not safe to fire” stamped in the side right above the serial numbers. So when my Uncle got the gun back he sent it out to have the stamp removed, when the gunsmith was removing the stamp he also removed the serial number enough that it’s hard to read. So the true year might never be known, it might of taken a hit in value but it’s still priceless to me.

aquaalf likes this.
  10. aquaalf

aquaalf Banned

I agree with you totally, it is the history of the gun that is of most value you as a family member.