15 Acres of Thumb Habitat

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by dmrbigeshott, Jan 14, 2018.

1. dmrbigeshott

dmrbigeshott

After a quick scouting/gobble sit at my turkey spot in Brown City at first light, my Lady and I made it to my Dad's property. First things first, pre-emergent herbicide spray of our CIR switchgrass strip to screen the main food plot

IMG_6021.jpg

The soil was about 70% exposed in this area, not ideal, but good enough. Also, I know it's not the best time to spray gly because of plant dormancy, but with the warmer temps the past couple days and plenty of moisture, I may have killed a weed or two with a separate spraying.

After spraying the switch, I took my Lady on a bedding area tour to inspect beds and see how the cedars/norways are holding up. All of the beds (6-7) in the centrally located area had deer hair in them and out of the ~15 trees I put in that area, 3 were browsed. One cedar had some branch tips nipped off, another cedar was broken in half (maybe I stepped on it?) and a norway had the top nipped off

browse.jpg

These were trees located right off of the main trails weaving through the bedding area, so it's not that surprising that some deer got curious. Other than those 3, none of the other bedding area trees (about 40 all together) were damaged....and hopefully stay that way.

No real work this weekend, but we did break in a new Windham AR and shoot our shotguns in preparation for the upcoming turkey season. *30 minutes after shooting, we had 4 hens and 2 jakes in the food plot :)

223.jpg

I don't think I'll be doing much work over the next couple weekends unless I tag out early.

jparks02, Waif and wildthing like this.
  2. dmrbigeshott

dmrbigeshott

Last time I was at the property was ~April 25 to spray gly around our new trees using Bishs’ tube method.

Most of the 2-2’s were a bit big for the 10” duct so I spot treated the biggest of them and was very gentle with the rest.
    One thing I did notice was that when you spray gly around the tube, the herbicide gets on the edges and then you place the tube over the next one and undoubtedly a small amount of gly will touch the branches. The trees started to show signs of new growth so this scared me a bit. I hit a couple trees before this popped into my head, so I rinsed the tube off and was very careful spraying as to not spray the tube from that point forward.

Lesson learned: error on the side of a bigger piece of duct

Some of the trees looked a little dry, but we received rain soon after.

It’s rained good at least once per week in the Thumb, so I’m keeping my eye on watering them. I also am very excited to see any new growth filling in where there is now sunlight hitting the ground, but won’t be able to get up there until the first weekend in June!

Light discing of the rye in our main plot then planting our northwoods whitetail soil building mix is on the agenda.