117 CWD Positive Deer

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Luv2hunteup, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Haha!!! U get a free pass & a cool successful patch from the dnr. I guess it doesnt matter if u checked your doe it apparently wont go towards harvest count, unless u filled out a survey

2. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Correct. If prevalence rates were equal, there would be 68 CWD positive bucks based upon harvest rates. There isn't. It is less. Which, ironically, tells us the prevalence rate under the current harvest ratio is greater in the antlerless cohort, and it isn't coming from button bucks.

Funny how some of us have been saying this for years, but the fear-mongering posters act like they knew better. They demonized bucks. Now they are sitting here with egg on their face.

Wild Thing and HUBBHUNTER like this.

3. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Is there raw data published? All I see is the summary charts.

Nevermind... had to do it on a computer instead of phone.

4. Justsayin

Justsayin

Unless I missed it, the chart on the DNR site for buck/doe positives doesn't really tell us squat... we need to know the total test numbers for bucks & does to understand the ratio. Justsayin'

sureshot006 likes this.
  5. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

But we do know beyond that graph. Before the 2018 deer season, there were 1909 antlerless deer and 2532 bucks tested in Kent/Montcalm. That's a 0.75:1 testing ratio. Now, look back at my previous post showing harvest rates for the various DMU's. It's nearly identical to what was actually tested.

Justsayin likes this.
  6. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Not mandatory, and yet, they tested over 1000 more deer but only had 6 more positives in those 2 counties than previous (from 45 to 51). Care to take a stab at the monetary cost of those 1000 extra deer to only find 6 positive deer?

7. Justsayin

Justsayin

I get what you're saying... I just think that there were too many changes this year to base a prediction on previous year results. 2017 mandatory testing at check stations in few counties - 2018 voluntary testing w/ county goals, unlimited doe tags, expanded gun season, no restriction on combo in cwd zone, samples from taxidermy (ie bucks). Just not sure we can make any reliable conclusions til we see this years testing numbers.

8. Justsayin

Justsayin

Great question... just a guess, $45-60,000 for ELISA testing.
    Labs charge: $15-25 extracting lymph nodes, $20-30 CWD ELISA test, $20 disposal fee
    ($55-75 / head). Any suspect positives are then tested by IHC at ~$65 / each.

I would guess the DNR probably has a contract with MSU VDL for the testing and disposal. Hard to say what the DNR labor costs would be above and beyond these.

9. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Just crazy. Isn't it?

10. Justsayin

Justsayin

Beyond crazy.

otcarcher likes this.
  11. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Even if it only cost them $45 per test, it cost them $1,373,850 to test deer last year. It has been reported to cost well in excess of that $45 though. But, even at that figure, it cost them $23,687 just to find each of the 58 CWD positive deer last year, and that's on the low end. It was likely twice that figure. Absolutely absurd. It's easy to realize now why it's so important to instill fear about this disease.......money.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    sniper likes this.
  12. Lily Furina

Lily Furina Banned

http://www.thealpenanews.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/2018/07/dnrs%e2%80%88bait-ban-wont-slow-deer-disease

[​IMG]

BREAKING NEWS
    Several businesses close because of weather
    DNR’s bait ban won’t slow deer disease

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

JUL 28, 2018

The DNR has proposed to the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) a statewide ban on baiting (LP only). The Commission will act on the recommendation in the next few weeks and announce on Aug. 9. The purpose is to limit the spread of chronic wasting disease (CWD). It won’t work. CWD is spread by bodily fluid exchange, any bodily fluid, not just saliva left on a beet but also buck semen, vaginal fluids, blood sucking insects [TICKS] and more. This proposal will not stop the spread of the disease. On average, bait is on the ground less than one week a year for most hunters. Yet the breeding activity goes on for three months with multiple encounters and copulation fluid-exchange daily with almost all the deer involved. I have read the research and discussed with many state veterinarians and especially the State of Wyoming Veterinarians, where they have never allowed baiting and yet they have the most extensive spread of the disease of any state. With our current knowledge there simply is no known cure, preventative or way to slow the spread, short of lowering the deer population.

I worry that, if this ban goes into law, it will never return. It will be gone forever. Voice your opinion now by writing to the NRC, 525 W. Allegan St., PO Box 30028, Lansing, Mich., 48909 or e-mail the NRC at [email protected]

Added note from Lily: As yourself what has changed in nature? Blood sucking insects is the answer. Specifically the plague like epidemic of Ticks swarming across America due to the rise of the coyote population. We must go to war against ticks and the coyote or we will lose this battle before we recognize the enemy.

13. 7mmsendero

7mmsendero

I appreciate the mention of ticks, because Lyme disease is a much bigger danger to humans than CWD. We hear relatively nothing about Lyme, it should at least get comparable attention.