117 CWD Positive Deer

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Luv2hunteup, Jan 23, 2019.

1. ratherboutside

ratherboutside

In the numbers we are talking small differences make up large numbers. If you secure $300,000, I will trade you $0.80 for each of your $300,000. Then I will ask if it
    Might as well be 1 to1.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

How many square miles do the 4 dmu's add up to? What are we really talking? 1.4 more bucks shot per square mile then does??

Your example is pitiful at best, what if u only had 7,800 seconds to live? Now is 7,800 a lot??

3. ratherboutside

ratherboutside

Wow, terrible example. Just take the L. It doesnt even mean anything.

When we have an extra 7800 antlered deer taken vs antlerless deer, in 4 dmu, that is a big difference. It gets even more skewed when you add in that some of the antlerless deer are button bucks. It isnt the end of the world, but to act like its basically 1 to 1 is foolish. Las Vegas was built on similar returns.

otcarcher likes this.
  4. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Even more foolish to believe men take a doe to a check station.

Breaking down 7800 bucks into square miles hunted shows just how little 7800 bucks really is.

5. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

So what do u want??

Obr ??

MAPRs?

Earn a buck?

If u want mapr quit your crying & go buy in the nw12 or wait to see if the thumb 5 passes

6. ratherboutside

ratherboutside

I dont want anything. I dont even care what the harvest ratio is. The DNR can decide that as the study those things. I truly dont. I am interested in cwd issues.

I just dont think on a roughly 300,000 deer sample size that .8 is basically 1 to 1. That's it.

In one year, point stands. In a single township, 1 year at .8 went be significant. But year after year after year of that will effect the heard make up. Yes the buck to doe ratio will always be about the same but the antlered to antlerless will skew to a sweet spot given the harvest ratio and make up (button buck perecent). And the ages of each sex will also skew.

7. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Not sure, but I think you are suggesting that the numbers that we are talking about come from the check stations. The deer kill numbers come from the harvest reports. If I have this wrong, oops, my mistake.

L & O

8. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

I would have to assume from the cwd core/management zones most of the info is coming from check stations? I would atleast hope so

9. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

Check stations have nothing to do with harvest numbers. Harvest numbers are compiled from the Annual Deer Harvest Survey.

10. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Thats to bad. Every time i went to Jerome market the dnr had a line of trucks waiting to get their deer checked/tested for cwd. Oh well

11. otcarcher

otcarcher Banned

No, actually, it isn't. A few posts ago, you implied that hunters don't check in does. Now you want to base harvest numbers off of that? No thanks.

12. G20man

G20man Banned

I checked a doe in at Jerome's.
    Guess I need my man card revoked.

jeffm and Namrock like this.
  13. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Lets get back to your 7800 more bucks killed in the 4 dmu areas. Would u be happy if 7800 more does would have been harvested(1:1)? If so what would have this accomplished? Less adult does, female fawns & button bucks the following year. If u feel that lower densities is the best answer for cwd then i get it. But how would these lower densities improve buck hunting?

14. G20man

G20man Banned

So are we saying it can appear to some that more bucks have cwd but the fact is that it only appears that way because more bucks are checked in due to the fact we shoot more bucks than does?
    Am I getting this correct?

HUBBHUNTER likes this.
  15. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

414F19A1-A597-4DBF-94A2-4A474F0F28D4.jpeg

On a typical year about 1 in 4 Antlerless deer killed are bucks. They comprise a minimum of 20% of the Antlerless kill along with sub 3” antlered bucks, broken antlered bucks and shed out bucks. Subtract that amount and add it to the buck total. Michigan hunters kill about twice as many bucks than does and yes I considered that way more. The data is directly from the first paragraph of the link I provided earlier. 2017 deer harvest report is not an anomaly. It happens every year.

Testing numbers are based on sex not the survey.

otcarcher and Bob S like this.