11/22/20 LFTS

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Badfishmi, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Shlack

Shlack

Bummer, but I know what you mean. I am not a big climber, I am always worried about falling. Some day if I do decide to really get into hunting I think a climbing stand would be the way to go. I could be wrong, but it seems easier to stay tethered to the tree as opposed to climbing up a ladder. Even if you were to get 5-6 feet off the ground it would really help you see over the ground cover. I have definitely seen more deer from a stand, but shot more from the ground. The stand lets you see deer than you can't shoot, either too far away or in thick cover, but it does make it more exciting because you know they are around.

jiggin is livin and pescadero like this.
  2. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

Makes sense.

...and about 600 left in Washtenaw.

That is a BIG change from last time I looked several years ago.

I'm sure there are some... when I asked last year about average deer sightings per day the results were:

0-2 per day: 33.7%
    2-10 per day: 35.6%
    10-20 per day: 17.1%
    20+ per day: 13.7%

That is 2 out of 3 seeing at least those numbers... and I'm just guessing that most of that 33.7% seeing below that isn't zone 3 private land hunters.

3. thill

thill

I have found that no matter where I hunt in state or out of state, I can apply what I have learned from John Eberhart's books. Read it again.

Also read Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon and forget everything you learned about deer hunting from Field and Stream.

flip69 and bwlacy like this.
  4. pescadero

pescadero Premium Member

I will - I just remember it being very focused on

1) Big bucks, and not general deer
    2) Really, really involved tree saddle and treestand techniques - and I never get off the ground.

I'll definitely pick that one up.

I just find that most hunting books are very, very focused on "big bucks" and not on "putting a deer in the freezer"... and I'm... not.

I'd rather shoot a nice fat doe every year, than a book buck every 3 years.

RKPTA and jiggin is livin like this.
  5. shumhow

shumhow

"Not really - I'm married to a chair. Pop-up, box blind, natural blind, whatever... as long as I can sit in a chair, and have some cover so I can move my arms and legs a bit."

During gun season I like to move (and also like to sit every now and then as I move thru the woods). I take the top of my lone wolf climber hung over my shoulder and when I want to stop, I just strap it to a tree and have a comfortable sit. It's light enough weight that it's not a pain to carry. That will get you moving to try some new areas (scouting for the current hot sign as you go) and still allow you to sit comfortably (and wiggle your legs and arms around).

6. thill

thill

I agree, it does focus on mature bucks. And hunting mature bucks can be like hunting a completely different species. But his books (also read his son's book Whitetail Access) will help you learn to use other hunters to your advantage. And for me, it was understanding how important post season scouting is to my success. I pick out trees in Feb and March for hunting in Oct and Nov. Post season scouting can be very enjoyable, especially if you take your wife, son and/or dog with you. My fiancee calls scouting "hiking with a purpose". We will visit points of interest I found while online scouting topos and aerials, then make notes on each location. Eliminating spots on a map is part of the game, so don't think you're wasting time if you visit a spot and don't find any sign. The more you scout online and post season, the more options you'll have during the season and it brings a new dimension of enjoyment to hunting.

7. ratherboutside

ratherboutside

Generally speaking, specifically in firearm season, if you can find bucks, you will find doe first. If you ever watch YouTube, guys that are really good at finding nice bucks, the sits before they find the bucks almost always have doe sightings. It has to do with how deer bed. The bucks are usually the farthest into bedding. So the guys who are great at it will start setting up at the outer most limits of where they feel they won't spook the buck they are after. Then the continue to push into the cover until they find the bucks.

A guy that us great at this is Dan Infalt. Not that his abilities are secret.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

pescadero likes this.
  8. CDN1

CDN1

That is for you to decide for yourself. However remember this....the level of effort is about the level of success you can expect as hunting as in life. There is no saying that you can't set up your ground blind 25 yrds from the public land parking spot, sit for 30mins and kill a 10 pter. It's not as likely as it would be if you humped your azz a mile in and crossed a creek and jumped over 20 fallen down trees, played the wind and scouted months in advance. But the effort you put in is your choice and effort in deer hunting often results in success in deer hunting but not always. If success was garanteed then it would no longer be called deerhunting you would calling deer killing.

Fool'em and FREEPOP like this.
  9. timbrhuntr

timbrhuntr

Awesome sit. Saw several deer nothing I wanted to shoot and a flock of toms. Then had 2 yotes sneak in behind me. One was a Smokey grey colour beautiful animal would have made a great mount but caught me attempting to move to shooting right side from left side . Dang it.

pescadero likes this.
  10. RKPTA

RKPTA

I have to agree with you 100% on the fat does. I have been hunting for over 40 years and for a large part of those years, I was part of the crew who measured the size of their nutsack by the horns they could hang on a wall. I have changed gears completely over the past 10 years and I do not put any effort what so ever in trying to get a "big buck". I absolutely love to be in the woods and found that I get every bit as much enjoyment from shooting a doe as I do a buck. And with my age and lifetime of injuries, it's a heck of a lot easier hauling a doe out of the woods or across a long corn field than a large buck. And, it is probably just something the old-timers used to say that stuck in my head, but a nice doe just seems to taste better.