10 trouts eh!

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Teggs, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Teggs

Teggs

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MIDNR/bulletins/1e85ba7

Sad day for the native fish. Just goes to show how awful the mangement of our natural enviorment is. They care more about selling lisences and getting people on the river than they do about the systems themselves. Maybe people will be a little more hush about the unmetionables now. Hehe

2. -Axiom-

-Axiom-

Prior to 2000 the limit was 10 trout for decades, the fishery survived & thrived.

3. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Anyone else remember when the DNR saw fit to increase the length of the trout season by about 15%, adding about three weeks to the end of the season? I remember it well.

When the closure was moved from the traditional Labor Day ending to September 30, the arm chair biologists fought it tooth and nail. Rather than giving the new regulation a chance to succeed or fail on its own scientific merit many ranted and raved at sportsmen's clubs, to newspaper reporters, to politicians, and to anyone else who would listen that the imminent demise of the brook trout was upon us, spawners would be wiped out by fishermen (who could take ten fish at the time). As far as I know, the sky did not fall.

If the biologists and trout researchers I have talked to were not handing me a line, fishermen are not even close to being the major source of brook trout mortality. FM

4. 357Maximum

357Maximum

Brook trout are one of the biggest sources of brook trout mortality, the things are downright savage cannibals. Second place would likely go to the various county drain commissions.

itchn2fish, TK81, growninmi and 4 others like this.
  5. Quig7557

Quig7557

Interesting which streams were added and the ones removed.

I’ve not fished many of the ones with the additional five fish allowed.

I’m wondering if they have a smaller average size perhaps?

itchn2fish likes this.
  6. Teggs

Teggs

They removed a few rivers that are tributaries to lake superior and are adding them to their coaster program. They sure did add a bunch though.

itchn2fish likes this.

7. you would be hard to catch
    5 trout on any of those steams
    mentioned ... I have fished
    them all , what a sorry state.

8. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

I attended a fisheries meeting this evening in the Sault and asked how the biologists came up with the streams they did. I was told there were given criteria to use and after the criteria was applied various stakeholder invitees were basically given veto power. On the east end it appeared that the USFS put the kabotch on some streams, TU on others. It sounded to me that if only the biological criteria were used there would be many more stream segments with increased limits.

Apparently some higher ups, I took that to be NRC members and or Fisheries Chief have requested biologists to re-review the list to see if a few more stream segments can be added. FM

itchn2fish likes this.
  9. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

I attended a fisheries meeting this evening in the Sault and asked how the biologists came up with the streams they did. I was told they were given criteria to use and after the criteria was applied various stakeholder invitees were basically given veto power over the streams that made the cut. On the east end it appeared that the USFS put the kabotch on some streams, TU on others. It sounded to me that if only the biological criteria were used there would be many more stream segments with increased limits.

Apparently some higher ups, I took that to be NRC members and or Fisheries Chief have requested biologists to re-review the list to see if a few more stream segments can be added. FM

itchn2fish likes this.
  10. Trout King

Trout King

I can't agree, I have fished a handful of them multiple times through the years and never had a issue if I was out for a 5 fish limit. Why do you say this? Obviously, the DNR and the work they have put in think they can sustain a 10 fish limit.

itchn2fish likes this.
  11. Trout King

Trout King

The ones I have fished seemed to be on par with the other UP streams I fish, I know a couple added seem to have slightly larger than average, but that is based on my personal experiences and recollection of streams.

itchn2fish likes this.

12. I have fished every river-
    creek on the list in Alger county
    Schoolcraft, Luce and Delta
    with much mixed results,
    Never caught more then
    5/7 fish and lots of times not
    a fish. I fish everyday if i
    can.

13. mondrella

mondrella

I have to agree with T.K. I have had phenomenal days on many of the waters that now have 10 fish limits. I have had 50 fish days on many U.P. waters. Many people struggle at catching fish. Its learning what to look for on certain days to catch fish. Some days fish are in very shallow water spread out. Others you find the right hole you can catch 2 dozen trout without moving. Sure there population ups and downs. Fisherman play little to no impact. Weather conditions are the biggest factor.

itchn2fish and B.Jarvinen like this.
  14. PunyTrout

PunyTrout

I have a question:

@Teggs @-Axiom- @Forest Meister @357Maximum @Quig7557 @Trout King @mondrella @Sportingman1954 @Ranger Ray @kzoofisher @B.Jarvinen @zzcop302 @Superior Outfitter @Steve

What will prevent an unscrupulous angler from taking 10 fish from the Fox River and then driving down the road towards home and if questioned, just claim they took them from The Driggs? Rinse and repeat across the UP.

What about the guy who takes 7 trout from a stream with an upstream limit of a certain bridge where they parked and then, ‘filling out their limit’ on the downstream side (with a 5 fish limit) and then driving away?

Violators do exist. And, it’s in their mentality to violate. What really prevents poachers from picking out one of the 10 limit streams from the list closest to where they fished and then claim that’s where they took them from when questioned away from the stream?

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  15. Splitshot

Splitshot

Not a good argument. What if Mondrella kept a 100 trout every day?

itchn2fish and troutguy26 like this.