10/19 Success

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by LTH, Oct 20, 2020.

1. LTH

LTH

So, I suspended my deer killing several years ago to focus my efforts on property and deer management on our small slice of heaven in Midland county. Now I let the kids (3 boys 20,16,14) do all the killing. They all started shooting deer at age 7. Lets face it, pulling the trigger is 10% of the hunt. All the land management, food plotting, camaraderie and everything else that goes into it is the real hunt. It took me a lot of years and having kids to figure that out.

We have been passing up several smaller bucks waiting for a few of the nicer ones we have seen on the camera earlier in the year. With the cooler weather I gave the kids the green light on taking a doe to fill the freezer. I like to wait for cooler weather so they can hang a few days. Last weekend my oldest was able to put some venison in his freezer by taking a fat doe.

Fast forward to last night. I was home making dinner and get a call around 6:30, my 16yo shot a fat doe, double lung and won't go far he says!! :woohoo1: Told him to go to the truck and chill for 30 minutes and then go find his deer. Ten minutes later he found it and was going to get it gutted and hauled up to the truck. Didn't need my help and that's okay with me! :sad:

Around 7:10 my 14yo calls frantically saying he just shot an 8 point.... :woohoo1:I told him to calm down and head up front to help his brother out. Not knowing where he hit the deer I figured I better assist on this one.:coolgleam In the meantime my dad wants in on some of the tracking action and beats me to the property. While helping load the first deer dad, he's 66, slips and falls hurting his side but was okay. I arrived and we found blood right away. Huge spray pattern, clearly from both sides of the deer. We track the deer for several hundred yards and finally find it. Shot placement was a tad back and quartering towards. Most likely clipped the one lung and liver.

So this is where things go down hill. I know the direction we have to go to get out but I just finished a select cut literally weeks ago and nothing at all looks familiar. So we are picking our way through the tangles and dad goes down again, but he was fine. Then my 14 yo rolls his ankle on a small cut log and lands on the horns putting a 2.5" gash in his arm pit. Trying to keep everyone calm I tell him it's nothing to worry about but to let me help drag instead of him. We finally make it back to the quad and get everyone out of the woods. Dad takes a look at the gash on his grandson and tells him he's going to need stitches...:dizzy: Now the kid is worried and thinks the world is ending. Thanks dad :banghead3 At this point Dad is starting to feel his ribs tighten up and is having pain when he breathes. Mom gets wind of all this and is upset and lays down the law....We're ALL going to the ER now!!!!!

I take them to the ER to be checked out where we become the butt of every joke on the ER floor. Dad has a bruised ego and some bruised ribs and my son received three stitches and the day off school. All in all a good memorable hunt and evening.

Attached Files:

2. Dynrat

Dynrat Premium Member

Congratulations on a successful (and memorable ;)) hunt.

jiggin is livin likes this.

3. lil bluegill

lil bluegill

Loved the emojis to help tell the story wanted to laugh but at the same time not. Awesome job to you and your boys. Way to get it done ✅

vsmorgantown and Craves like this.
  4. Chessieman

Chessieman

At least your 14 year old will be able to brag about being gored by a buck! Congratulations on both of the kills.

vsmorgantown and jiggin is livin like this.
  5. Scadsobees

Scadsobees

Nice! The times that go smooth and quiet are the first forgotten....this one will be in the memory for a good long time! :)

14 hours (I'm sure it wasn't that much,but it always feels like at least that much anyway) in the ER really stinks though, especially when there's deer that need to be taken care of.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  6. motdean

motdean

Awesome buck and great story!

I hope you got pics of the recovery team as well as the deer....this is one for the books!

vsmorgantown likes this.
  7. d_rek

d_rek

Not every day three generations get to spend a few hours in the ER with each other! Great hunt(s) and glad everyone is ok!

Sent from d_mobile

8. Esquire

Esquire

Congrats to all. A memory none of you will forget.

9. Trunkslammer

Trunkslammer

This sounds about right. Thats called life haha. But like already stated its the crazy stories that make memories really stick. Nice work!

10. aph

aph

[QUOTE="LTH, post: 8670947, member: 112
    So this is where things go down hill. I know the direction we have to go to get out but I just finished a select cut literally weeks ago and nothing at all looks familiar. So we are picking our way through the tangles and dad goes down again, but he was fine. Then my 14 yo rolls his ankle on a small cut log and lands on the horns putting a 2.5" gash in his arm pit. Tryingkeep everyone calm I tell him it's nothing to worry about but to let me help drag instead of him. We finally make it back to the quad and get everyone out of the woods. Dad takes a look at the gash on his grandson and tells him he's going to need stitches...:dizzy: Now the kid is worried and thinks the world is ending. Thanks dad :banghead3 At this point Dad is starting to feel his ribs tighten up and is having pain when he breathes. Mom gets wind of all this and is upset and lays down the law....We're ALL going to the ER now!!!!!

I take them to the ER to be checked out where we become the butt of every joke on the ER floor. Dad has a bruised ego and some bruised ribs and my son received three stitches and the day off school. All in all a good memorable hunt and evening.[/QUOTE]

I love this story! Congrats to your boys and good job raisin em.

11. oldforester

oldforester Premium Member

A great day for all. Keep the memories!

Walt Donaldson likes this.
  12. sniper

sniper

Was dinner cold? Lol
    Congrats to the mash unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

13. Spartan88

Spartan88

Ok, the story has everything, EXCEPT someone sharting their pants. :D

14. LTH

LTH

Unfortunately dinner was cold. However, we get venison heart tonight!!!!

bigbucks160, sniper, Hoytman5 and 2 others like this.
  15. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Doesn't get much better than that for a "Memorable" hunt. Happy to hear that the injuries were not more serious.

Congrats to the entire family.