Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Midland/Bay City Area Fishing

7K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  98885 
#1 ·
We are tossing around the idea of moving from the Grand Rapids area to Midland or Bay City to get closer to family Wondering what I’m going to run up against when trying to find new fishing spots.

I’m a multi-species, multi-technique Fisherman. Spinning, baitcasting, fly fishing, pier fishing, surf fishing, ice fishing, from shore, wading, or boating. I’ve already started Google mapping any lake and river accesses I will likely try, but the pickings seem quite a bit thinner than my current area. In the Grand Rapids area I have MANY lakes I can quickly and easily take my 14” aluminum to looking for panfish, bass, and pike. The countryside is littered with them, just need to choose and explore. Quick and easy access to rivers and streams for trout and catfish, also steelhead and salmon if timed right. Close to a pier town where I can target salmon, steelhead, and whitefish.

Am I in for a rude awaking when we move? Looks like I’ll be driving a bit, compared to what I’m used to, to find a nice small to medium sized lake to use my boat, or to wade for trout. May need to travel a distance to find some edible catfish? Saginaw river is all “beware, don’t put that in your mouth”. The Tittabawassee in the same condition?

Or will moving to this area, if I want to fish locally that is, mean I just need to simply upgrade to a much bigger boat and start eye’n the bay?

I have my tried and true distant spots that won’t change, distant now, similar distance after the move. But it’s the local fishing I’m mostly worried about. Right now I have my pick of quick and easy spots to get to... a dock on a great largemouth lake, or an easy ramp that’s rarely packed on a lake. A nice balance between “honey, I’m going to run to the lake for a few” and of course the full blow day events. I’m a little worried about losing the quick next door fishing trips... that ALL of my future trips will need to be full blown day long productions due to distance (which would surely cut down on how often I’m afforded to go out).

See less See more
#2 ·
You keep mentioning bass in the Saginaw Bay forum.....and you aren't going to get a lot of responses :)

Not really sure what you are getting at. If you like to fish, then it is hard to beat the Saginaw Bay and the Saginaw / Titabawasse / Flint / Cass / Shiawasee rivers.....they all end up in the Saginaw River. But it seems you prefer to fish for Salmon / Trout locally and Bass in small lakes and ponds....then your options are limited.

#3 ·
You answered my question for the most part. That was exactly what I was trying to figure out, if the trout/bass/panfish fishing I’m accustom to is really as non-existent as I feared. Been searching for nearby lakes and coming up with very little, and basically needed some confirmation that I wasn’t just missing something.

I’m going to need to make a shift if we do end up moving to the area (which is looking likely), and look towards big water and walleye, and traveling if I still want to hunt trout and bass.

How would a 14’ shallowish deep-V, with an 18hp prop fair on the rivers mentioned? I recently rigged it with a makeshift prop guard, a river chain anchor, and a bunch of lights for nighttime catfishing on the Grand River in my current area. Hoping to make due till I can talk the wife into something bigger I can take onto the bay.

#7 ·
I live just south of GR...and very similar to you when it comes to multi-species/do a little of everything guy. And I often make the 2-3 hour drive to Saginaw, Saint Clair River, or the Detroit River. The walleye fishing over there is truly world class. I have never done it, but I know the bass fishing in the Saginaw River and tributaries can be very good. Also great bass and pike fishing in the shallows of the Bay. And very good perch fishing to be had in the bay and in the river. Not to mention the giant cat fish and other farm animals that can be caught in the river. I know what you mean about the easy access to fun bass and pan fish lakes over here on the west side. But there is a reason I spend most of my time on MS on the Saginaw, SC, or Det Forums. I love living in West Michigan...but every time I drive over to the East side we usually mention how dangerous it would be if we lived somewhere over there and didn't have to drive over 2 hrs one way to get there. If you want to move closer to family over there, I definitely wouldn't scratch that because of a lack of good fishing. That would be the biggest reason I'd want to move over there. Also...several good bass fishing destinations within an hour or so drive north of that area as well. And your boat would be fine for the Saginaw River System. But a jump up to a 16' with a 40-50 would open up a new world of options for you. And I couldn't survive without a bow mount trolling motor. Good luck to you in this very important life decision. Hope it works out for you and your family!

#15 ·
Not to mention....I did see a 14' boat out past spark plug fishing for perch in November. That is 6-8 miles out from the mouth of the river. So your 14' boat can handle fishing anywhere on the river system, and the bay probably 2-5 days a week.

Though you likely will have trouble taking it out more than a mile during the fall due to the consistent winds.

#17 ·
Smallmouth fishing is great in the cass river during summer. It’s smallie heaven in the tibby late August an September when the water is low. Drop in at gordonville an have someone pick u up in freeland. You’ll be tired of catching everything after an 8 hr trip.

Pike... nothing better than spearing in the shallows of the east side of the bay.

lake trout. Dime a dozen anywhere in the outer bay.

catfish. Night fish with anything tawas north. Au Sable river at night can be good. (Personally done great on salmon skein in oscoda around the piers.)

Bucket mouths.... u lost me.

panfish. I go to the west side during the spawn an get a few just for something different to deep fry than walleye an lakers.

steelhead. Singing bridge can be good surf fishing. Run spoons around tawas an north an u can double dip with eyes after may:June.

you’re going to want to get another bigger boat for bay trolling. Keep the 14’ for the river.
Hope this helps.

#20 ·
Yes lol. Your gonna wanna have that 14'er in the titt last Saturday in April. Put it on your calendar and dont miss it!

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
How is the Tittabawassee on depth and hazards? Am I going to be constantly encountering wood, rocks, sandbars using a prop?

#29 ·
If you have time,go through the posts on both warm water and ice fishing.. there is years of experience and advise to be had.. you are moving from silver fish to green back heaven.. you don't have to have a boat to fish the river (but it helps sometime).. the amount of smallmouth in the saginaw is underrated along with the size.. crappie,cats,pike and more farm fish then you could imagine.. if you are like most of us,and just like to get out and fish,learn PERCH rigs and minnows for soft water and jig reps for hard.. marina bouncing can and will produce pan fish,bass,pike,perch.. if you are die hard silver fish,we have a few members that know the east side,get in touch with them.. as for other areas,don't hesitate on posting that you would like to explore an area,I'm sure one of the members would be willing to "play guide"..

#31 ·
The Tittabawassee that runs through Midland good for smallmouth, cats, pike? Walleye? Is it also riddled with consumption advisories like the Saginaw?
Yes it's excellent for SMBass and Walleye. Can't speak to the second question but I can add that this region offers some of the best fishing in the state. It doesn't offer the scenic beauty of the west shoreline but the Sag Bay region offers great fishing opportunities. The Bay is my "Go Too" LM Bass fishery now that Wixom is dry. It kinda made that decision for me. Once I fished it last year for the first time for Bass, I'm not sure I'd go back to Wixom anyway. Caught some of the biggest Bass I've ever caught, on the Bay. Lots of smaller inland lakes within an hour of this area also for perch, crappie, gills, bass, pike etc as well. Ice fishing lakes are numerous also. Family comes first but it's a good combination moving closer to family AND having a bonus thrown in that formula with great fishing nearby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.