Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

River jigging

197K views 1K replies 149 participants last post by  Butch-eye 
#1 ·
These cool nights and mornings are getting me in the mood for river jigging few more weeks ya guys think?

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

#404 ·
If you look at the Tibb flow...it is now flat as a pancake since the dams broke...and the flow is at low summer levels. Isn't budging. That being said I do not think this has anything to do with the river being behind. The bay was too, right? I worry the Tibb lost the 2020 walleye spawn. I hope the spawning gravel is in ok shape for next spring. I worry the low water flows mean no purges of sand from the spawning runs.

#432 ·
I don't mind jigging because generally it's more productive. But... After about the first 2-3 days you go pound a multi person limit in an hour it loses its luster for me. The guys that have been managing to find fish in September October November in the river hats off to you.

I feel the draw to trolling for me anyways is - you have 1000s of square miles relatively featureless. Whole bunch of factors putting the fish where they are. Catching a limit there is more rewarding to me personally. I've never multi person limited in my boat, but I've had 3 20-30 fish days by myself and that is just pure chaos in a good way.

With that said....I'll take cast jigging over both.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

#445 ·
I don't know of anyone who would rather troll than jig or cast for walleye. But for right now, the big ones are still in the bay and for those who haven't fished the bay this time of year.....you are missing out.

You don't get all 22-26" walleye in the bay up to 5-7 lbs during the summer.
Correct! Lots of personal best trophy size Walleyes hanging on anglers walls that have came from the Bay during this time of year.

#463 ·
Well, we can talk, but no way 1 for 6....maybe 1 for 2. More work cleaning up a deer than those bandits..:lol: Did you eat the other ones yet?
Ha ha okay Ralph not a 1 for 6 kinda guy. Sorry but 1 for 2 is actually laughable. For sure more work cleaning a deer but C'mon now PERCH fillets being Available trump Veni by a Big margin ... To me anyways. My bad for teasin ya with the perch but they are not up for barter. We can get Josh to light up one of those fryers and we can do a Surf n Turf spread ?? I in for that!!

#468 · (Edited)
No clue what Ever his Name wants for perch. Have at it. I do know a store down the road from me has perch from Canada for 5 fillets(2.5) perch for $15.99. 50 fillets (25 perch)would roughly be around $160. If you want to buy & support the netters. And mine are not for sale. Everything has a number on it for some. Never thought pricing veni in bulk near $15-$16 a pound, jerky/summa sausage maybe close. My bad. I guess I value my time and effort spent to catch a measly 25 limit of perch more than most. Both are a high demand resource.

#470 ·
From June thru August the Bay is the ticket for trolling. Sure you can catch numbers jigging but not like you can trolling. Presentation is key during summer months. Jigging isn't as successful during that window period. The rivers are full of boats when jigging is hot. The Bay is full of boats when trolling is hot. Definitely a distinction. Jigging works in the Bay even during the warmer months but numbers caught can't compete with those pulling boards and harnesses or hardbaits.
I have caught walleye trolling this year from the first day with not ice ³/³/²⁰ to my last trip out of tawas the end of july. We have jigged some out there but %99.5 of the fish came trolling. I would say i catch 50% of my fish in the river trolling. On a big open lake with little structure, covering water is the way to go. Especially when 90% of the time the fish are suspended.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

#474 ·
Had 3 in my fenced in backyard yesterday and neighbor came over to tell me to be careful if I let the dog out and that they had been back there for about 20 minutes and I had only been inside with her for about 20 minutes. While thanking her for the warning I turned to look in the backyard and the last one hopped back over the fence and away it went. Would have made for an interesting scenario with a doe and 2 yearlings against a nearly 10 month old highly energetic and protective German Shepherd. She did spend the next half hour nose to the ground running laps though because she knew someone or something invaded her space, lol.

Reactions: leafybug
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.