Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Ammo and gun in the same case?

7K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  Petronius 
#1 ·
Someone told me it’s illegal to put a box of ammunition in the same case along with the gun. Cannot find it in the guide. Anyone ever hear this?

#12 ·
CO stopped and checked me about 15 years ago.
Found my 30-30 shells in the hard case with the gun.
Told me I couldn't do that.
Didn't matter to me so I wasn't going to argue with him. Kept them separate ever since.
Do you hunt the n.e by chance? I swear a woman dnr officer told us the same during bear season in alcona, But I may be mistaken.. 20 years ago

#14 ·
I have always put ammo in my hard case. Now i have a really nice soft case with an ammo pocket. Even has loops to hold the rounds.

My shotgun case i store steelshot in those loops for occasions when I grouse hunt near beaver ponds. I will carry steelshot in those areas for jump shooting wood ducks.
When I’m hunting out of my boat I carry my gun the same way. Shells in the ammo pouch.

#15 ·
This is taken from MinuteMan.com

Clip vs. Magazine: A Lesson in Firearm Terminology

Last Updated on August 11, 2020.
So what is the difference between a magazine and a clip?

It's reasonably straightforward when you look at these definitions:

A magazine is designed as a device that holds ammo to be fed into the chamber of a firearm.

A clip is designed as a device to hold ammo together to be ready to load into a magazine or cylinder of a firearm.

So that's it! A magazine feeds rounds into the chamber, and a clip feeds rounds into a magazine. It's pretty easy to see why these terms could get mixed up so easily. Now that you know the difference between the two items let's take a look at different types of magazines and clips so you can better understand what these definitions actually mean.

END OF SNIP

#16 ·
Here’s something fun: I carry old-style stripper clips (4-5 rounds) so that I can load my magazines faster. I’ll bet the CO would be puzzled over that.

There is nothing in the regulations that says loose rounds or boxed ammunition can’t be in the same case as the gun, as long as they are not in the barrel or in the magazine.

And yes, I understand that fighting a CO’s misinterpretation is probably more of a hassle than just bringing your reloading bench into the woods...

#20 ·
CO stopped and checked me about 15 years ago.
Found my 30-30 shells in the hard case with the gun.
Told me I couldn't do that.
Didn't matter to me so I wasn't going to argue with him. Kept them separate ever since.
That’s a weird law. I have never heard of that before. I always put my ammo in the hard case with my rifle (not in the magazine). I guess I need to change that.

#24 · (Edited)
That is because it is NOT a law! I want someone to show me in WRITING where it says you can not have ammo in a gun case with a gun!
This is the reply i got from dnr law enforcement to email is sent them

As long as your firearm is fully unloaded, in the case and in the appropriate location for your vehicle there is nothing that states the ammo cannot be stored in the same case. Just make sure the firearm is fully unloaded.

#21 ·
This is taken from MinuteMan.com

Clip vs. Magazine: A Lesson in Firearm Terminology

Last Updated on August 11, 2020.
So what is the difference between a magazine and a clip?

It's reasonably straightforward when you look at these definitions:

A magazine is designed as a device that holds ammo to be fed into the chamber of a firearm.

A clip is designed as a device to hold ammo together to be ready to load into a magazine or cylinder of a firearm.

So that's it! A magazine feeds rounds into the chamber, and a clip feeds rounds into a magazine. It's pretty easy to see why these terms could get mixed up so easily. Now that you know the difference between the two items let's take a look at different types of magazines and clips so you can better understand what these definitions actually mean.

END OF SNIP
A friend of mine who spent years in the army told me that calling a detachable magazine a “clip” would get me laughed at around military people. I finally understand why.

#23 ·
Here’s something fun: I carry old-style stripper clips (4-5 rounds) so that I can load my magazines faster. I’ll bet the CO would be puzzled over that.

There is nothing in the regulations that says loose rounds or boxed ammunition can’t be in the same case as the gun, as long as they are not in the barrel or in the magazine.

And yes, I understand that fighting a CO’s misinterpretation is probably more of a hassle than just bringing your reloading bench into the woods...
I might go back to stripper clips...
They keep rounds from rattling around, in just the right count for a loading. (I tend to run one shy of capacity) .

Mt ammo wallet discolors brass . And can leave a ring of gunk too if rounds are left in it too long , or after a heavy rain.

Reactions: 6thMichCav
#26 ·
You need to unload both the rifle and magazine
  • Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.
https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79136_79772_79773_83478-31579--,00.html#:~:text=Firearms must be unloaded in,outside the legal hunting hours.&text=Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other,the trunk of a vehicle.
only if the magazine is inserted into the rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.