Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Purchasing a .22 and or muzzloader

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Petronius 
#1 ·
Good evening,
I’m new to hunting this year and fresh into guns/bows. I purchased a crossbow and have been getting familiar with it but would like to get a .22 for small game. Do I have to go through a background check and a waiting period for a .22? What about a muzzled loader?

Thanks for any help! Just would like to know the process I have ahead of me.

#6 ·
Were are you at and what are you using it for? If you are in zone 3 the ML are basically obsolete, you can use anything that you can in firearm season this year and probably for life. Probably the rest of the state next fall. You can get some nice starter ML shooters with a small amount of loads for $225. Expense to follow for additional supplies.

#7 ·
No expert but I would think you will get a NICS check on both. They are both firearms as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Muzzleloaders and blackpowder handguns are considered to be a firearm for State of Michigan purposes but there is no background check for either and no permit or registration for a blackpowder handgun.
Blackpowder handguns and muzzleloading rifles and shotguns are not firearms according to federal law.

#10 ·
It all depends on which muzzleloader you purchase if it requires a background check or not. Example TC Encore XT or FX but there are many others that require a background check when purchased from a retailer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.