Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Clinton River Steelhead 2020

137K views 788 replies 90 participants last post by  tincanary 
#1 ·
Time to get back on this grind still a month or two away but I'm ready to get my steel on

#539 ·
Nighttime knows some honey holes, clearly. Not the first time ive read a post where he stopped off after work or dropping the kids off and got into one within 20-30 min.
First time I hooked something at that location. It was an access I knew the water just have dedicated time there much. One spot looks very fishy. Family keeps me busy so I don’t get several hours like I used to, a lot of quick stops. Luckily I have 8-10 access points with in 10-15 minutes from me. Also
I grew up riding bikes steps away from where I catch fish. Not kidding the last 12-15 years I have almost 25,000 hours into hiking and fishing the Clinton river. Great parks give excellent access. Seen this guy that morning
Plant Tree Wood Natural landscape Twig

#541 ·
First time I hooked something at that location. It was an access I knew the water just have dedicated time there much. One spot looks very fishy. Family keeps me busy so I don’t get several hours like I used to, a lot of quick stops. Luckily I have 8-10 access points with in 10-15 minutes from me. Also
I grew up riding bikes steps away from where I catch fish. Not kidding the last 12-15 years I have almost 25,000 hours into hiking and fishing the Clinton river. Great parks give excellent access. Seen this guy that morning View attachment 601209
The park system on the Clinton is pretty expansive. You can take a trail from Clinton River/Schoenherr all the way to Yates. Granted, much of it is dirt once you are upstream of River Bends, but it's nifty how they're all interconnected. At one time there was a bridge that crossed the river by Yates dam which got you into Bloomer, but they took it down a long time ago.

#540 ·
Hi all. I've only fished the Clinton once, and it was really to learn how to cast my switch rod since you really need moving water to properly make a spey cast.

Just wondering if I'm wasting my time using flies on the Clinton. I do better on the Huron with plugs, but wanted to give flies a try. I have heard people like floating / pinning, but wasn't sure if people were using spawn bags or drifting flies with those setups. I've never tried pinning, but borrowed a buddy's setup and wanted to try it out and practice it, and figured the Clinton would be a decent place to try it out. Never had a ton of interest in the technique until I started tying my own flies, and now I'm curious to try them with a pin rig just due to the fact that it seems you can get longer and more controlled drifts.
Fly's work on the Clinton, but in terms of what to throw on it, the river does fish a little differently than most tribs. I tend to fish the Clinton similar to the way that I do when I head to Ohio and PA in terms of flies. For swinging flies I tend to use things that resemble a sculpin/goby or an emerald shiner (main forage for the fish in lake Erie), and then black leeches with copper and olive flash. If you're running an indicator, nymphing, etc... don't over think it, hare's ear, caddis, and a stone fly or two. Egg patterns, crystal eggs, crystal meth, sucker spawn, and some rag eggs (pink, peach, cheese, and orange are my go to colors in all egg patterns on the Clinton, and chartreuse when it's stained).

#542 ·
Lamarsh, are you Josh? If so, this is Brad B.
You found me brother! LOL

Nymphs and stones, also glo bugs
Fly's work on the Clinton, but in terms of what to throw on it, the river does fish a little differently than most tribs. I tend to fish the Clinton similar to the way that I do when I head to Ohio and PA in terms of flies. For swinging flies I tend to use things that resemble a sculpin/goby or an emerald shiner (main forage for the fish in lake Erie), and then black leeches with copper and olive flash. If you're running an indicator, nymphing, etc... don't over think it, hare's ear, caddis, and a stone fly or two. Egg patterns, crystal eggs, crystal meth, sucker spawn, and some rag eggs (pink, peach, cheese, and orange are my go to colors in all egg patterns on the Clinton, and chartreuse when it's stained).
Exactly what I needed to know, and just a little confidence that bugs like that can work. I do like throwing hardware and know it's often more effective, but I really want to get some of the crap I tied out there and practice some drifting techniques, both pinning and euro nymphing if there's some good spots to try that. You get to the point in your angling experience where you just want to catch fish the way you want to catch them rather than just catch any fish.

Thanks for the input!

#549 ·
It’s been relatively dry last 6 weeks which hurts the start of fall fishing. Despite lack of rain few have came in with every weather change just really have to work for them. All sections have a fish or two around.
This rain will surely help. The graph peaked last night and dropped quickly, guessing from the stuff pelting of my windows yesterday that the rise in water and wind have it dirty.

#550 ·
I wonder if the strong S and SE winds pushed water into the river. I know that can have an affect on other rivers, not sure about the Clinton tho.

#553 ·
I've noticed new (assuming everyone didn't get new wading boots) and more footprints. Im happy people are enjoying the river but please let's not trash the place. Last time I went out I saw some angler garbage just flagrantly left or thrown on the bank. Stuff happens to us all like getting stuck in a tree or something falling out of a pocket or vest etc. Every time I go out I try and grab one or two things out of trees, out of the water or off of the ground that anglers leave. Even though its an urban fishery its a nice escape that should be respected. If the new guy or gal on the river sees garbage everywhere its more likely that he or she will add to it. Every little bit helps. Thanks all......c'mon rain, blow the river out and bring in the chrome

#559 ·
Clinton is having a great run so far I’ve seen about 12 fish caught so far and I pulled one out of a hole all the way up river at innovations hills about ten minutes above the dam very excited for more chrome action this year might put down the hardware and pick up the fly rod.
I did not know steelies ran that far up. How many dams do they have to clear to get that far?

#561 ·
Clinton is having a great run so far I’ve seen about 12 fish caught so far and I pulled one out of a hole all the way up river at innovations hills about ten minutes above the dam very excited for more chrome action this year might put down the hardware and pick up the fly rod.
Lol, everyone shoulda read through the lines with only doom and gloom reports.

#565 ·
I think they can bypass the Dam at Yates now. The river changed its course and made a new path. The fish should be able to move up without having to jump the dam.

#571 ·
Clinton river extends well into north Oakland County and has several dams but steelhead can’t make it that far. I’m not sure how Clinton is ducted under Pontiac but most likely stopped where ever that water is most likely treated. A lot of mileage they can cover, over 50miles in main branch and 30-40 in paint. No where close to a system like grand where fish can travel 150-200 miles

#572 · (Edited)
#579 · (Edited)
No dams on the North Branch, use to be 3 dams, Wolcott, Golf course at 29 or 30 mile and the Castle dam just north of the Golf course between 30 or 31 mile and 32 mile just west of Romeo Plank rd. All have been gone for 15 years or more.I remember fishing the Castle dam when I was in highschool! I will fish north branch every once in awhile for Smallies in the summer. The Steelies are very few on this stretch of the Clinton, not saying their not there.....just very few. In the old days there was more. There's a neat black and white picture in Wollcot Mill park building of guys holding up a stringer full of Trout or Salmon from the old days, like pre 1950's? **** maybe 1900?Maybe even older...it's old. One of the reasons the northern stretches is type one is because the DNR use to plant above 32 mile rd. They didn't take. There is also a rumor of a small natural population of Brooke's up there somewhere....right by Bigfoots lair! LOL.

#580 ·
No dams on the North Branch, use to be 3 dams, Wolcott, Golf course at 29 or 30 mile and the Castle dam just north of the Golf course between 30 or 31 mile and 32 mile just west of Romeo Plank rd. All have been gone for 15 years or more.I remember fishing the Castle dam when I was in highschool! I will fish north branch every once in awhile for Smallies in the summer. The Steelies are very few on this stretch of the Clinton, not saying their not there.....just very few. In the old days there was more. There's a neat black and white picture in Wollcot Mill park building of guys holding up a stringer full of Trout or Salmon from the old days, like pre 1950's? **** maybe 1900?Maybe even older...it's old. One of the reasons the northern stretches is type one is because the DNR use to plant above 32 mile rd. They didn't take. There is also a rumor of a small natural population of Brooke's up there somewhere....right by Bigfoots lair! LOL.
Would it be worth trout fishing the north if so what part

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.