Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Where are the ducks

10K views 76 replies 52 participants last post by  R.J.M. 
#1 ·
Went for a boat ride yesterday at about 9:30 am to see where the hell the ducks are hiding. I went down the lower Detroit River and out into Lake Erie and seen under 200 ducks. I don't think they are hiding, they are just not here. Never have I seen so few birds going all the way back to the mid 90's in mid to late November.

#13 ·
DEfinatly bad year..same thing happened last year(Ohio) line..heck we dont even have the geese, which is very unusal. There were more ducks here in Sept and then they split! Just as season goes out here, they will show up. I guess the only good thing is should have more ducks next year.

#15 ·
We had a very good week when the massive storm came through the plains and Canada. That was before Halloween.

Did you guys do well then? Do you think it’s possible a substantial amount came through and the rest are sitting up north with these warm temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

#31 ·
Haven't even had parts icing up down here this year so doubt the Canada birds have really had a reason to really push down here. Any thoughts?
Well, Prarie Canada has been pretty much frozen over for a couple weeks, yes some birds linger but the vast majority have moved through. Friend who lives in ND has been doing well until last week and put everything away for the year. Not sure I would be expecting a "big push" still to come.

#18 ·
Around first of November when we had those big gales I did good at NP but just big mallards with a bonus black, widgon and a couple shovelers. After that it has been slow with just a big mallard or two. Not seeing near the birds I was even flying around cruising. The ones that are here are stale and know the gig. After last night I bet most of the marsh birds are gone until we get some consistent colder weather.

this year is the first year in a while that I haven’t shot a gaddy.

#24 ·
When i hunted last weekend i saw more ducks and way more geese than i have been seeing in the last couple weeks...i think theyre just in pockets now because its tough to find them out scouting...i think and am hoping that more will keep coming down through the rest of the season just gotta do the work to find them/get on them

#25 ·
Try shooting those [non sporting] Old Squaws from the tender instead of the layout, that's what we have to do on the west side because of all the on shore winds.
lots off crossing shots at 35 yds..
I bought a case of the Federal Sea Duck loads 4/6 in the same shell and really like em, great for dispatching those diving cripples too.
divers on our inland lakes on the westside never showed this year.
I'm headed to Iowa for a week of field hunting with the kids and hoping for favorable winds for the North split.
our split is a 2 day joke, even Indiana gets a week split day after Christmas, might try Michigan city this year.

#29 ·
First season duck hunting and I was able to get out on the water 6 times. Public lakes in my area. Only shot 3 ducks and 2 geese. From what I've been hearing it's a slow season. I'm sure it's due to the crazy weather patterns. I put away my gear for deer season, but I'm itching to get back out on the water after my freezer is full.

#32 ·
I think a lot of people underestimate how many went through during that 50 mph WSW wind event with a full moon shining. Not to mention the push that early cold snap that froze a lot of small water in ND. All I know is when the bulk of the birds you’re seeing are swans, geese, mallards, black ducks, Goldeneye, OldSquaw and Mergansers you’re getting to the end of the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.