Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Jackson and irish hills ice fishing reports

406K views 3K replies 281 participants last post by  jacktownhooker 
#1 ·
Hey all, after having almost a million views from this local ice fishing reports thread, I decided to see If having less longer threads will help with loading on mobile technology that so many are using now.
Let me know how it works for you.

I will bring up old threads periodically and you can search and find info on lakes-techniques-tips- for different species- and old friends easier.

I will date the current threads that we will use to minimize any confusion...(2015)

#2,772 ·
Ok so that was brutal, 3 different lakes before I found one with enough natural shelter from the wind that I could deal with it (forgot my gloves too), 27-32 fow, fish anywhere from bottom to 10 ft off the bottom, they hit anything very aggressively.
Ice: the snow froze enough to support my 200# but it is 2-3" of snow ice on top of 1" of slush ice on top of 4" of ice.
Food Seafood Cuisine Fish Dish
Food Eye Fruit Plant Cuisine

Sent from my SM-G892U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

#2,775 ·
got blown off Allen yesterday. A gust came up and the shanty was more like a kite, flipped on its side and slid a good 10 feet from the hole with me still inside. I also noticed what spacepuppy mentioned. 2" of new frozen snow/ice, on top of 1" of water, on top of the 5" or so of ice that was there over the weekend. I however didn't notice the good fishing he did, tried from 2' out to 25' then came back in shallower where i had found some very negative fish, guess I should have kept going to deeper water.

#2,777 ·
Sweet!!! Gotta love it when you put in all the time fishing, finding the sweet spots and then brother comes along and hooks the Big One! LOL! Congrats to him though, always nice to catch a fish that only comes along every so often in Michigan waters.

#2,797 ·
My koi pond is about 20' across and 4' deep and it had 1/4' to 1/2" about 2-3' out along the edge and it lasted all day and was still there at dark! There is hope for a good ice season. We are due for sure.

#2,802 ·
Trying to teach him to get in his bed in between the seats. He might make it out one day, he’s only 2 there’s still time.
I really want to take mine out too but I don't think she can handle it yet only being 10 months in a week. Too much energy and probably try to eat my catch before I could get a hand on it. It would probably be a circus show with her as she'd probably try to eat the auger first, then tear apart the shanty as I'm setting that up, probably steal my chair like she does in the house, I can see her barking at the Buddy heater because she loves fires and would probably tip that over and catch my shanty on fire, the list goes on, lol. Only good thing is I have a great fishing spot only a few minutes away so I don't think I could get her in my truck with all the gear unless she rode shotgun so I could set up and come back and get her to try it and if it works great, if not take her rear end back home, lol. She just cannot sit still for more than 30 seconds. But what is funny is that when she's had enough she asks me to put her in bed and very willingly crates herself for a piece of sliced turkey or ham after one more trip outside. Highly doubtful I'd stay warm on a cold day because she'd want to go in and out of the shanty probably nonstop, lol. But, she may surprise me, who knows, can only try it and find out. Good luck to you.

Reactions: badakbuddy
#2,806 ·
Bathing her is easy, she loves the water! Trust me, I'm not a first ice kind of guy. It's 5" of clear before I even start venturing out. Besides, I gotta have someone haul my gear:(

#2,809 ·
Yup, everything I saw on the way to and home from work was froze over and my koi pond has about an inch all the way across so it wouldn't be too long with cold temps and no snow. I want a year of a good 6" solid clear stuff before any snow or melt/refreeze action. We are due.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.