Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

LFTS 10/30

29K views 272 replies 106 participants last post by  bowhunter426 
#1 ·
LET'S GO deer slayers. Cold and wet but the Rut is starting to roll. Up and after em!
Might be ground blind for the morning sit.

#220 ·
Covered in deer 3 mi utes after my last post tiny 2” if that spike doe and 2 fawns all hit the scrape I put tinks in spike harassed the fawns til momma ran him off then the fawns were feeding behind me and momma 40 yards to my right waited it out debated on momma but wanted to wait til the last little bit of good shooting light and sure enough heard one deep grunt behind me where the fawns were watched a BBD chase em around hit the grunt 2x didn’t seem to phase em so I thought must be a youngin then 5 minutes later I hear a stomp behind my tree but it’s as wide as me so I try turning around without making a lot of noise and see the biggest deer I’ve seen on stand in my life big 10 wide with mass and it’s was on state land so I turn the other way he’s at 25 set my pin on him look there’s a 1” tree with tiny branches covering vitals he takes a step out clears it I let it fly watch the nocturnal hit behind him thought it was a good hit he runs off I wait 5 get down check the arrow didn’t see any blood where he was standing look at the arrow it’s cocked 45 degrees thought it might’ve deflected in him nope turn around there was one maybe 1/4 in thick branch dangling by a thread I literally was about to cry didn’t check my trail cam but will in the am to see if it got a pic of him he might’ve been just outside it’s reach but still best night of hunting in my life I was covered in deer sent some cool videos to my son so best hunt you could ask for besides the miss which was clean I tracked 50 yards in the direction he traveled followed where he kicked up leaves no blood back at it bright and early thanks to daylight savings time

#240 ·
Awesome first night back in the woods! Doe came out around 3. Spotted me but didn’t spook, just gave a wide berth as she moved on toward the oaks. Little 6 point basket came out an hour later following the doe’s trail. About an hour before last light,
I heard grunting. That little buck came back grunting all the way. Must have been proud of himself for getting a girlfriend.

Back out tomorrow!

#241 ·
Congratulations to everyone that notched a tag today! Had zero service in the stand couldn't follow along but tonight... FINALLY the Namrock has returned to LFTS! Was out of the stand for less than a week. But this hell week has felt like a month to me. Work is stupid busy, & I had two 8 hour classes Tues and Wed 2 hours from home for work. ANNND I was trying to get a new bow & get it set up after mine got ripped off last weekend (still beyond pissed about that) has been beyond hectic. But tonight, tonight it was soooo nice to be back out there. Saw 4 different bucks, 2 little guy's grunting & chasing does all over the woods. And What I believe we're a 3yr old 8 & an at least 4 yr old big boy both cruising around hitting scrapes & making rubs. 1st sit with the new bow & I just couldn't help myself, yeah she's a keeper & helped me vent some of my frustration tonight! Wish I could have done this live & in color, but you guy's get the idea right?
Plant Wood Twig Trunk Natural landscape

Art Slope Font Darkness Metal

Plant Fish Terrestrial plant Twig Grass

Seriously lost count of does & fawns, I'ma guess 15-18ish. 1 less to count next time. Never thought I'd shoot a slickhead this close to Halloween, but I couldn't help myself!

#244 ·
Congratulations to everyone that notched a tag today! Had zero service in the stand couldn't follow along but tonight... FINALLY the Namrock has returned to LFTS! Was out of the stand for less than a week. But this hell week has felt like a month to me. Work is stupid busy, & I had two 8 hour classes Tues and Wed 2 hours from home for work. ANNND I was trying to get a new bow & get it set up after mine got ripped off last weekend (still beyond pissed about that) has been beyond hectic. But tonight, tonight it was soooo nice to be back out there. Saw 4 different bucks, 2 little guy's grunting & chasing does all over the woods. And What I believe we're a 3yr old 8 & an at least 4 yr old big boy both cruising around hitting scrapes & making rubs. 1st sit with the new bow & I just couldn't help myself, yeah she's a keeper & helped me vent some of my frustration tonight! Wish I could have done this live & in color, but you guy's get the idea right?
View attachment 595691
View attachment 595689
View attachment 595699
Seriously lost count of does & fawns, I'ma guess 15-18ish. 1 less to count next time. Never thought I'd shoot a slickhead this close to Halloween, but I couldn't help myself!
Good work man. What bow is that, a triax?

#242 ·
No luck here on first deer, but had a great session on new ground. Pretty sure I saw a doe that turned as it crossed my wind at about 50 yards, and saw a coyote.

Fair warning to all out in the morning and over the weekend - it’s going to blow like a bastard. From around 7am in the west of the state (15-20 knots rising to 30-40 by Saturday night), should be calm in the east/thumb before picking up a few hours after dawn. Sunday will be similar except above 20 knots with snow. Winds should calm down heading into Monday - I’ll be back in the stand Monday afternoon.

#243 ·
Here's the scoop.

Set up my Summit Viper 25' up in a tree I've used for several years now. This off-season, we added two new food plots to this area and have worked to thicken the woods along the east property border. Lots of trail cam pics, and freshly picked corn, so I figured I'd see something and possibly get a shot (or two).

First deer out was a little buck. At the same time, from the opposite direction, another little buck appeared. The western buck moved towards the eastern buck and stopped to work a field-edge scrape before continuing on. About that time, I noticed some action in the woods north of me. A doe and a button buck were milling around. Then they scattered -- somewhat towards me. It was at that time I noticed a third deer. It was the wary buck I posted the video capture of earlier. I was hoping he would push the doe towards my location and give me a shot opportunity. Nope. The doe and beau split off and disappeared. The buck came right in. For whatever reason, when he got to my foot path, he immediately reacted. It could be the double-tarsal drag I used. It could be that I was lazy and didn't clean my boots off before the morning hunt (nor did I ozone or dust them). Whatever it was, he did the heavy thud bounds for about 15 yards and stopped and turned around. He looked and looked. Then he raised his head and looked right up at me. I shut my eyes. He stomped around for a bit. 30 yards away, then 20 yards away. Then he stood still, just looking.

I decided to look back towards Food Plot 3. I noticed one of the little bucks had arrived and was downwind at about 50 yards. He was looking at the bigger buck. The bigger buck was acting squirrely. That bigger buck was starting to frustrate me because it was just pacing around and stomping. It started to move away and was now maybe 40 yards out and kind of behind a few trees. I had to pee and wasn't going to let this nonsense stop me. So I did. The buck did not care for that. Once it heard, it took off running to the north. 100 yards away in the woods. Now it was snorting. Over and over. Dummy.

Anyway, the spike that had been in Food Plot 3 also spooked out to the east and I was left wondering if my night was cooked. About 6pm, I heard foot steps coming from the north. I looked and there was a doe and two fawns headed my way. I grabbed the bow and hooked on. They angled away from me a bit and never presented anything closer than 30 yards. And no clear shot. Put the bow back on the hook. I saw another deer moving out towards the picked corn, past Food Plot 4. Our improvements are making a difference in this part of the property. Oh, and Luke was hunting west of me and had apparently spooked a doe or two, because now there were more deer in the picked beans snorting. We really lit it up tonight! :lol:

Maybe 15 minutes later, I heard some fawn bleats coming from the north. I turned and saw deer headed my way, pretty much on the same trail the previous doe group took. Ah, but this time they didn't split off to the west. They continued more towards the base of my tree. Hooked on. Big one in the lead. Got drawn. She's not stopping. She's not stopping. Twigs and trees. Ok, clear lane. Stop her! Meh. Line up the bubble. Put it on the far shoulder. Center it up. Squeeze.

I saw the arrow land right behind the pin, so immediately felt good about the shot. But, when the deer took off, I saw the arrow dangling out of it's side. On the entry side! Uh oh. Not good. It ran away from me for about 10 yards, then turned a sharp 90* to it's right and headed north on a decent move. I could still see that arrow bouncing around. Then it vanished from sight. No crash. Hmmmm.

I waited until legal hour was up, then climbed down. The two little bucks were showing off for a doe, with a sparring session, in front of the Shootin Shack as dark arrived. I found blood right away on the ground. Then on a tree. Easy to see. I marked the spot along my foot path and hauled my stand to the pick up spot. I was thinking that perhaps the best move would be to just come back in the morning, so as not to push the deer off property. I was afraid that maybe I shot too far back on the entry. With the hard quartering away stance, it would have been in the ham, most likely. But, when Jeff heard that I had blood, he said "let's go get it." Then we got to first blood and Luke started down the path. It was easy to follow. Heavy trail of bright red (maybe a bit bubbly) blood.

Found it a few minutes later exactly as it looked in the pic I posted. Never had one like that before. The arrow entered right where I wanted it to, passed through the ribs, center-punched the heart and sliced the leg on the exit side. Apparently the arrow came back through the cavity when the deer started running. Weird. Thankful it didn't snap in half.

I'll clean it up, put a new Muzzy on, and see if I can notch another with it tomorrow morning.

90#
Food Wheel Tread Tire Fish

#245 ·
Here's the scoop.

Set up my Summit Viper 25' up in a tree I've used for several years now. This off-season, we added two new food plots to this area and have worked to thicken the woods along the east property border. Lots of trail cam pics, and freshly picked corn, so I figured I'd see something and possibly get a shot (or two).

First deer out was a little buck. At the same time, from the opposite direction, another little buck appeared. The western buck moved towards the eastern buck and stopped to work a field-edge scrape before continuing on. About that time, I noticed some action in the woods north of me. A doe and a button buck were milling around. Then they scattered -- somewhat towards me. It was at that time I noticed a third deer. It was the wary buck I posted the video capture of earlier. I was hoping he would push the doe towards my location and give me a shot opportunity. Nope. The doe and beau split off and disappeared. The buck came right in. For whatever reason, when he got to my foot path, he immediately reacted. It could be the double-tarsal drag I used. It could be that I was lazy and didn't clean my boots off before the morning hunt (nor did I ozone or dust them). Whatever it was, he did the heavy thud bounds for about 15 yards and stopped and turned around. He looked and looked. Then he raised his head and looked right up at me. I shut my eyes. He stomped around for a bit. 30 yards away, then 20 yards away. Then he stood still, just looking.

I decided to look back towards Food Plot 3. I noticed one of the little bucks had arrived and was downwind at about 50 yards. He was looking at the bigger buck. The bigger buck was acting squirrely. That bigger buck was starting to frustrate me because it was just pacing around and stomping. It started to move away and was now maybe 40 yards out and kind of behind a few trees. I had to pee and wasn't going to let this nonsense stop me. So I did. The buck did not care for that. Once it heard, it took off running to the north. 100 yards away in the woods. Now it was snorting. Over and over. Dummy.

Anyway, the spike that had been in Food Plot 3 also spooked out to the east and I was left wondering if my night was cooked. About 6pm, I heard foot steps coming from the north. I looked and there was a doe and two fawns headed my way. I grabbed the bow and hooked on. They angled away from me a bit and never presented anything closer than 30 yards. And no clear shot. Put the bow back on the hook. I saw another deer moving out towards the picked corn, past Food Plot 4. Our improvements are making a difference in this part of the property. Oh, and Luke was hunting west of me and had apparently spooked a doe or two, because now there were more deer in the picked beans snorting. We really lit it up tonight! :lol:

Maybe 15 minutes later, I heard some fawn bleats coming from the north. I turned and saw deer headed my way, pretty much on the same trail the previous doe group took. Ah, but this time they didn't split off to the west. They continued more towards the base of my tree. Hooked on. Big one in the lead. Got drawn. She's not stopping. She's not stopping. Twigs and trees. Ok, clear lane. Stop her! Meh. Line up the bubble. Put it on the far shoulder. Center it up. Squeeze.

I saw the arrow land right behind the pin, so immediately felt good about the shot. But, when the deer took off, I saw the arrow dangling out of it's side. On the entry side! Uh oh. Not good. It ran away from me for about 10 yards, then turned a sharp 90* to it's right and headed north on a decent move. I could still see that arrow bouncing around. Then it vanished from sight. No crash. Hmmmm.

I waited until legal hour was up, then climbed down. The two little bucks were showing off for a doe, with a sparring session, in front of the Shootin Shack as dark arrived. I found blood right away on the ground. Then on a tree. Easy to see. I marked the spot along my foot path and hauled my stand to the pick up spot. I was thinking that perhaps the best move would be to just come back in the morning, so as not to push the deer off property. I was afraid that maybe I shot too far back on the entry. With the hard quartering away stance, it would have been in the ham, most likely. But, when Jeff heard that I had blood, he said "let's go get it." Then we got to first blood and Luke started down the path. It was easy to follow. Heavy trail of bright red (maybe a bit bubbly) blood.

Found it a few minutes later exactly as it looked in the pic I posted. Never had one like that before. The arrow entered right where I wanted it to, passed through the ribs, center-punched the heart and sliced the leg on the exit side. Apparently the arrow came back through the cavity when the deer started running. Weird. Thankful it didn't snap in half.

I'll clean it up, put a new Muzzy on, and see if I can notch another with it tomorrow morning.

90#
View attachment 595711
Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

#246 ·
I started my rutcation today. Hunted tonight and just after shooting hours it turned in to a crazy woods..grunting everywhere, deer running all over, it was wild. On my walk out i literally could smell the scrapes i passed. I pulled a cam card on the way out and ive got 6 different bucks on the one cam in less than 48 hours. Its on baby.

#248 ·
My 11yr old daughter got her 1st buck tonight! 6pt, dropped within 40 yards from a great shot . She has been so patient all season and even tonight as it felt like an hour before he would turn and offer the proper broadside shot. Not to be outdone by her older brother who shot a 6pt last weekend.

Both deer shot with the same bolt!

We got home and she celebrated with much deserved chocolate chip cookie dough icecream. She is looking forward to trying the deer heart tomorrow for lunch!

Now Dad gets to start his hunting season, but honestly it really doesn't matter what happens going forward. The feeling of your kids tagging a deer is unmatched!!!

Attachments

#251 ·
It is with a heavy heart that I didn't get him. Hired a guy with a amazing dog . Tracked it over a half mile. This guy tracks 150 deer a season and said it hàd to be a meat hit . He believes the buck will survive.
I shoot hundreds and hundreds of arrows knowing I will only get maybe one crack at one of the big boys. It is days like these that humbles me knowing I blew it because I usually rise to the occasion in the clutch. But this time I didn't.
I will beat myself up for a day or so , get up and ride that horse again. I learned along time ago , not fulfilling your dream is also part of the sport.

#253 ·
It is with a heavy heart that I didn't get him. Hired a guy with a amazing dog . Tracked it over a half mile. This guy tracks 150 deer a season and said it hàd to be a meat hit . He believes the buck will survive.
I shoot hundreds and hundreds of arrows knowing I will only get maybe one crack at one of the big boys. It is days like these that humbles me knowing I blew it because I usually rise to the occasion in the clutch. But this time I didn't.
I will beat myself up for a day or so , get up and ride that horse again. I learned along time ago , not fulfilling your dream is also part of the sport.
Sorry to hear that Big T. But that’s the attitude we all must take in that situation. I’ve been there myself and it sucks. You’ll get yours the next time around. It happens.

#255 ·
Clare cty, made the 220 mi trip N and have a few days, last trip 10-14, good news is scrapes seen then being freshened seemingly daily (or nightly). Good vibes going out, not so good hunting. A doe and spike, well one 9” tine, all that was seen. Hopefully better tomorrow.

#259 ·
So this is a late post for last nights hunt but it was late and I was dismayed at the situation so I wanted to see how things played out. Needless to say I FOUND HIM!!!! YEAH BABY YEAH!
Plant Hunting Hat Trophy hunting Smile

Was a single lung hit. Yes I am officially color blind! But my son and friend are not. Was not an easy trail and he went about 250-300yrds

#260 ·
So this is a late post for last nights hunt but it was late and I was dismayed at the situation so I wanted to see how things played out. Needless to say I FOUND HIM!!!! YEAH BABY YEAH! View attachment 596059
Was a single lung hit. Yes I am officially color blind! But my son and friend are not. Was not an easy trail and he went about 250-300yrds

That’s a beautiful buck! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.