Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Smoked meat

18K views 113 replies 36 participants last post by  No Mas 
#1 ·
Seems like a general smoked meat thread would be helpful. There are a few smoking threads spread across a pretty wide time frame.

I just got a Pit Boss 4 Pro Series electric vertical smoker from Lowe’s and did a test run today. I plan to smoke brisket, pork butt, sausage and fish.

St. Louis ribs smoked with apple wood pellets. Very light seasoning because I wanted to see how the cooking process worked, because I’m new to smoking. Salt, pepper, ground mustard and oregano. No sauce or sugar. 3-2-1 method at 225 degrees. 6 hours total cook time plus 45 minutes resting time. Good eats!

Food Rib Kitchen appliance Ingredient Recipe
Food Ingredient Recipe Steak Beef

See less See more
#74 ·
Head's up for you meat aficionados out there that like to save a buck. Meijer has there butts (shoulders) for .99/lb this week. Picked up a couple 8 lb'ers.

In addition, the Rockford store had some awesome looking New York Strips for $5.99/lb. Probably 1.75" thick. I took all three in the meat case. Guy said they were struggling to keep the case stocked. Last week they had T-bones at 6.99. I snagged a couple that were more Porterhouse than T-bone and they were great. I prefer to buy from the corner meat market...but I would have paid three times as much.

#76 ·
i have a stable of smokers. only type i don't really have is a pellet smoker. I have a big offset thats been highly modified to run how i want it (brinkmann trailmaster). Also, a Weber Smoky Mountain (18"), a Masterbuilt XL propane that has some mods, a primo oval jr, a weber kettle that I do some smoking in, along with a few grills that I can and have done some smoking in like a weber summit gasser, a lamb rotisserie, and i'm probably missing a few. This weekend I'm going to smoke up 6 racks of ribs, a pork loin, a chuck roast, and make a rotisserie chicken that gets touched with some apple and cherry smoke.

#80 ·
It's pretty simple. Make sure chicken sky is dry. Olive oil rub and then a good amount of either plowboys yardbird or what the cluck seasoning by triple 9. I've also used meat church's deez nuts seasoning with good results too. Then I take some of whatever rub I'm using and mix it with some water and inject into the breast and thighs.

Have my Weber set up with one basket on each side each with just less than half a chimney of coals. Rotisserie running and a drip pan with either: a. Water or b.potatoes with a little broth to cook in drippings. Then I add a chunk of apple and cherry on each end of each basket so they smoke. I have a wireless thermometer in the thickest part of the breast, though I'd say start checking at around 50 minutes, but usually it takes about 1hr 15 minutes for a full bird. Pull, let cool for 10 minutes, carve and enjoy.

#90 ·
#88 ·
Food Kitchen appliance Home appliance Hendl Recipe
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number
Haven’t read thru this entire thread, so I hope this brine recipe for chicken is fresh. I use it on a whole spatchcock chicken on my Pitt Boss Austin XL.

brine overnight, rinse well after brining, and dry with paper towels before cooking, make sure brine is cool before using.
It makes the white meat just as tender as the dark, I cook until the temp probe hits 170, and there is no dry meat, I keep pushing the temps each cook to find the overdone point, I prefer my chicken not wet, but a bit drier at the bone.
Pellets used have been the Competition blend, cherry, and hickory, all with good results, I also have cooked the bird with and without additional seasoning after the brine and haven’t had a complaint yet.

#92 ·
What temp are u cooking at for a 9 hr rib cook?

I have a 3.5 hr cook time for ribs....

I cook brisket and pork butts in under 6 hrs

Sent from my SM-G981U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I don't know what temp your cooking at but, a pork butt should take 12-14 hrs. Briskets can easily take 14 or more hours. Generally ribs take me 6 hrs with 3,2,1 method.

#93 ·
I tend to run hot! 275-335 is about how my cooker runs from left to right.

And no it should not take that long....
I cook competition bbq awards to prove it

I will run brisket to at least 203 (it) and give it an extra 30 min.

Butts go to 206

Ribs 4 hrs tops

Chicken legs 1.5 hrs

Quality of meat helps as well

Sent from my SM-G981U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

#94 ·
It’s smoking season!

Opening day for me starts this Saturday. I have a pork shoulder in the freezer that needs to be dispatched with.

Checked my pellet supply and I’m low, so will get a bag of apple pellets this week.

Seasoning will be basic - copious salt, some pepper and light brown sugar and cumin. I don’t like overly sweetened BBQ, and enjoy the flavor of the meat itself.

What has everyone been cooking in the smoker? Any new experiments this year? New meat or pellet type?

#96 ·
made a brisket a while ago that was the best i've ever had. and i've eaten quite a bit of brisket. made in a weber using the snake method with chunks of oak and hickory. wrapped 4 hours in, finished in a total of about 6.25 (hot and "fast", temp was about 285ish). i'll try to post pics from my phone later.

however, this post is about another slice of beef that i cooked for the first time last week: picanha. Its a cut that is common and highly prized in Brazil/South America but usually not found in the retail counter of US butchers, though the analog is the top sirloin cap roast. Being the cap, it is more tender and has the fat cap (may need to trim the fat cap a bit, but leave some, it crisps wonderfully), and being part of the sirloin its SUPER BEEFY.

Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, cut into 1.5" thick slices, doubled over and threaded on the spit. Roasted on the weber kettle with a FULL chimney of lump and some oak chunks. 21 minutes and it was one of the top 3 steaks i've ever had. kids, wife, myself all crushed it. Wish I took pictures. Do yourself a favor, if you see one for a reasonable price, pick one up. Don't overthink it, simple prep, simple cook, and enjoy.

#99 ·
Seems like a general smoked meat thread would be helpful. There are a few smoking threads spread across a pretty wide time frame.

I just got a Pit Boss 4 Pro Series electric vertical smoker from Lowe’s and did a test run today. I plan to smoke brisket, pork butt, sausage and fish.

St. Louis ribs smoked with apple wood pellets. Very light seasoning because I wanted to see how the cooking process worked, because I’m new to smoking. Salt, pepper, ground mustard and oregano. No sauce or sugar. 3-2-1 method at 225 degrees. 6 hours total cook time plus 45 minutes resting time. Good eats!

View attachment 555539 View attachment 555541
I'm starting my research on electric smokers now that I've got an itch to try smoking trout/salmon this summer. Now that you've had you Pit Boss for about 9 months would you care to do a short "follow up" review? I keep coming back to this brand since I've read such wildly varying reviews about the Master Built and Char Broil smokers. Thanks!

#100 ·
I've got a small cheap upright smoker that I mainly use for fish, if I'm doing meat I do it on a Weber kettle grill. The Weber grill seems to maintain Temps better than the smoker and I can get higher Temps so that's why I roll with it for meat.

I've been experimenting with beef plate ribs the last couple years and decided to cook some up a couple weeks ago when we first warmed up. Simple rub of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika cooked over charcoal and mesquite chunks at 270 for 6 hours to an internal temp of 207 and then wrapped and placed in a cooler for 30 min.

Most tender one's I've cooked so far. The meat was like jello when I pulled it off the grill and I was actually scared it was going to fall apart.

#107 ·
It’s been good to us, we started goin there when we moved here also, near 20 years ago, it was much smaller, they bought the shop next door and expanded the deli side.
get on the email list for discounts and alerts, sometimes it’s well worth it.
got whole brisket at 1.99 once, and they run a prime special that’s hard to beat,when you buy the whole cut.
and since covid hit, you can wait in your car and watch for your number on the wall!
I’ve been there when it’s shoulder to shoulder and my number was on the other side of 100........I go home then come back, I’m 1/2 mile down the road.

Reactions: kroppe
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.