Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Big M Fall Steelhead

35K views 192 replies 46 participants last post by  MoJoRisin' 
#1 ·
Anyone fishing for steel yet?

#7 ·
I get it. Feel somewhat the same way. Just that I like to talk fishing stuff. And not that many friends left that care about such things. We're getting old and dying off.
Honestly I fish a lot. And theres never any days I fish the BM that I dont see a good number of other anglers. The guide boats are insane. I mean every single day. Only things that reduce the crowds is really nasty weather. And even then I'm often surprised how many guys are out.
I promise I wont make a habit of making reports here.

#8 ·
These days with unemployment money and guys being off work, many buddies have complained about traffic on all days on multiple river systems. I only made it out for kings once this year, but it sure was a crowded river. We also however were able to fish many holes without issue. It is a big river. I’m sure once the weather turns crappy and especially after gun opener, there will be more space, just like every other year.

#13 ·
We used to always fish with guides the Thursday & Friday before Columbus Day weekend. It would be 15 kings for every 1 steelhead but there’d always be plenty of steelhead already in the system. Grand slams would happen too; king, coho, steelhead and the small football browns that hold in a certain not hard to find flat.

Kudos to the guy who admits that Kangs hooked on beads or bounced/floated flies were probably “flossed” and jeers to the dude getting Sussed off about “flossing.” The River between Bear Creek and the dam is way too crowded to pull plugs. Cranks or spinners might work. If people hook the black/moldy salmon in the mouth and have fun fighting them, good for them. If they want to smoke them and keep the spawn, who gives a fig.

It’s the most beautiful time of year to be outside. Enjoy it.

#18 ·
Nail on the head.....not new to the snagging, flossing, eating game.

I should have thrown snagging in there as we "caught" a few in the back and tail, as that's unavoidable. My mentioning of the flossing came due to the fact that 1 of the kings had a bead in the mouth, not here to judge what that spent hen was doing.....just burned up a bunch of good drift time just so I didnt have to break off and retie.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

#17 ·
May have been my bad, Steve as a good moderator asked a simple question. I replied with a simple answer.

Trust me, I'm pissed about all the traffic these days, especially after getting pimped out on two duck openers at very remote locations.

Told my wife....it is what it is. I quit focusing on repeating past rally trips, and focus more now on enjoying the half way decent trips from time to time. Kids, career and limited time.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

#19 ·
Yes we did Steve on Saturday, sun-up till 11:00ish hooked only 1 landed none. Man we fished hard and Fished away from most it was a gorgeous day to be fall fishing regardless of none landed. Of course we made sure we did take home some smoking fish so the trip was not a total loss. Good Luck and enjoy this awesome time of year I know we are good, bad or ugly. Life is just too short.

Reactions: jmaddog8807
#20 ·
I fished Saturday too. 5 hookups and none to the boat. All bright dime fish!!! While fighting one of the fish, had a boat motoring up and running over top of it. The boat then proceeded to anchor 50 yards up from me, what do you do besides shake your head? Decided to load the boat around 1 because the boat parade was getting rather busy! While I was trying to load the boat I had to educate around 10 salmon snaggers that high bridge launch was a boat launch first and a fishing platform second. Can’t wait for the Solitude of winter fishing the big man.

#21 ·
I had one boat run into me! I was anchored, casting, with plenty of water all around me and here comes this couple in a jon boat driving straight into me. I could see the panic in the guys eyes as he just locked up, the girlfriend in front turned to say something and he just couldn't turn the tiller, he did slow down so the jolt wasn't as severe as it could have been. I figured he'll be getting a lifetime of abuse from the girl so I didn't say anything to them, just a look.

#23 ·
I had one boat run into me! I was anchored, casting, with plenty of water all around me and here comes this couple in a jon boat driving straight into me. I could see the panic in the guys eyes as he just locked up, the girlfriend in front turned to say something and he just couldn't turn the tiller, he did slow down so the jolt wasn't as severe as it could have been. I figured he'll be getting a lifetime of abuse from the girl so I didn't say anything to them, just a look.
that can b scary,, i've been rammed a few times by scull's (row boats) twice by a 8 man crew + a blind coxie (the driver/steerer) lucky no one drown

#26 ·
I helped an angler with an injury case. He was in a guide’s jet boat when it was struck by another angler. Bad finger injury. We prevailed after 1 year of litigation.

#27 ·
I was on the Big Man a few days last week. Got a Skipper, and a nice 11# male that gave me everything I look for in a Steelhead fight.

Soooooo many boats, and guides. Saturday morning we counted 17 rigs parked at Tippy. Tippy was full every day, as was Rainbow. There were a few spaces at Bear, and High Bridge, but a lot of rigs, too. And quite a few boats are parked at Matsons. Stealthcraft power drifters, with 40 hs Merc jets must have been on sale at some point, because they were probably half of the boats we saw. Nice rigs.

Not a lot of Steelhead were being caught. Lots of wind with gusts to 30+ mph a couple days. Lots of leaves coming down. Kings are getting toward the end of their spawn. Water is cooling off. It snowed hard, briefly, Friday morning. Nights were frosty. The first push of Steelhead hit the river the first week of October, and there should be another one, soon. The rain this week should pull Steelhead into the river, and get the Kings through the end of the main part of their spawn. Cohos should be spawning real soon.

Also checked out a couple smaller rivers, nearby. The Little River is so low. SOOOO low. But there are Kings doing their thing, and a very few Steelhead around. Tons of Steelhead Parr, so if you use spawn, tie big bags. Bear had Kings spawning, as did Pine Creek. Lots of dead, and post-spawn Kings in the tribs.

#33 ·
Lots of different beads out there, hard/soft; small/large; textured/smooth; colored/natural. Any preferances? what do you start the day with and whats the 1st thing you change?
I like the soft bead slipped over a knot in the line so it looks like the nucleus of an egg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.