Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

From mlive Former GM site to become ‘Saginaw River Headwaters Recreation Area’ in 2021

5K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Slimshady 
#1 ·
https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-...river-headwaters-recreation-area-in-2021.html

Basically, the article states that old gm plant at the confluence of the Tittabawassee and Shiawassee rivers will be turned into a state rec area. I think it is is good news for the walleye in the Saginaw river and bay. Along with other fish and game. The ref area is Supposed to have fishing access. If it is allowed to go totally natural. It could help with flooding
along with the state and federal preserves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I was blown up at Central foundry while working on a shaker.
Lucky I was inside the shaker when the annealing furnace blew.

I worked on the dismantling of the plant, removing the "Cope and Drag" line for its new owners.
It was old, nasty, crude, technology that has run its course in this country.
I'm saddened for the job losses, but overall, glad it's gone.

#12 ·
Saginaw steering gear plant 2. the old gun plant. My dad worked there for 30 + years. as a kid they would have plant tours i believe once a year. it was literally oil soup. air, floors ect. dad drove an old mercury comet. the ash from the foundry would kill the paint. his logic was "its an ugly ford. its gonna rust to dust any how." Mom would make him take his work clothes to the laundry coin op they would be so soaked with oil. one bonus for me was he worked the line that assembled the worm gear for the rack & pinion. always had a mayo jar of perfect slingshot ammo! Happy to see its being cleaned up and put to positive use. im in my 50's now. its been 40 years since i first dreamed of what it would be like to ride that big ol slag pile on a sled. :):)

#16 ·
Some of Grey Iron is still running, I think the vacant field between M-13 and I-75 was Nodular Iron and was run by GM.
Lots of land where grey iron used to be they should make that a game area.
That foundry was an Eaton plant. They made valve lifters.
Vacant field now.

#18 ·
I was 4th generation GM.

As a kid, when my dad got home from work, he’d hug us and we could smell this certain smell, not bad, just different.

Years later, when I started working in the same general area, I walked into one of the (now demolished) Flint East plants for the first time and almost cried. Smelled exactly like my Dad when he’d come home and hug us all.

(As a little kid, I asked him what he did every day at “work”. He said he “ made money” and that’s how I imagined him. Running a machine that made pennies and nickels)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.