Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Jaw Jacker Tip Ups

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  kevin1 
#1 ·
I picked a couple of them up last year and was wondering what people thought of them. I have a couple 28” medium ugly stick combos as well as a few 30” medium heavy ugly stick combos that I was planning to use with them. Just curious to see peoples experiences with them.

#4 ·
I’ve used my jawjacker for a few years and love it! I use it as my dead stick when I’m jigging. Usually with a lead head jig topped with a whole minnow. If it is the plastic jawjacker like mine, it’s lightweight and quick to setup and take down. I’ve found it works much better in warmer conditions so I use it inside. GL!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

#6 ·
How does he set up his presentation? I was thinking about a 1/4oz jig head with minnow or a treble hook with minnow with a spit shot about 18” above. I plan on using fluorocarbon line so I don’t have to worry about a leader.
For splake and coho he uses tiny hooks and really small live minnows. He puts a splitshot on the line to get it down. He likes the minnow to swim freely.

#7 ·
Overall I've had good experience with them splake fishing. Usually I rig it with a split shot and a small treble or single hook with a live or dead minnow, anywhere from mid water column to a few feet off the bottom, just depends on the day.
With splake I've found even if they don't get hooked the first time by the jawjacker you can still entice a bite by jigging after.

#8 ·
I really like mine, primarily use them on pike and walleye, even perch if I feel the need.
I like that the fish usually don't take the bait deep and makes releasing them easier. yep their better in warmer temps, just don't get the release wet. I usually use some black plastic hole covers with a slot for the line to pass through to help keep the hole open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.