Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Using a new deer gun this year.

4K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  Lund Explorer 
#1 ·
All the deer I've shot have been with my 1950's JC Higgins 12 gauge pump. I've since moved to the rifle zone. I bought a ruger 308, but I'm selling it to pay a school bill. After researching it real good, I think I'm going to use my 223 ar this year. The balistics gel results of good bullets are impressive, and it's a real tack driver. At 100 yards I wouldn't have a problem putting one in the lungs or in the neck. With my ole' shotgun, I'm limited to 50 yards. What do you think?

#38 · (Edited)
Well I'll give you a different perspective.. I have a fair amount of first hand experience with this subject.

First off I've killed 15+ deer with my AR or 223 bolt gun. Haven't lost any. Secondly I have found a heavy for caliber bonded bullet works best far better than monolithic bullets. Thirdly double lung shots tight behind the front leg are number one on broadside deer and quartering on shots at the base of the neck work great also.. Putting one through the heart or front part of the lungs is a deadly hit with most deer going down in less than 40 yards..

Now here comes some caveats; Using a 223 is like killing with a scalpel. It can be very efficient but you need to be precise in what you do with it. You need to intimately understand the anatomy of deer. You should also be highly proficient with your rifle.. Most important thing though is that you need to control your emotional thoughts. To be rational enough to wait for the perfect shot or to be able to pass on a less than ideal one. (The later being the more difficult for most people.). If you can meet these criteria yes your AR can be a great deer rifle.. If not get something with a larger margin for choices in shot selection and errors....

Addendum I would recommend the Federal Fusion 62 GR, Nosler 64gr BSB or the 75gr Speer Gold Dot ammo, do not buy the 64 Winchester PSP as it is a cup and core bullet and has been known to have jacket- core seperation with minimal contact with bone. Monolithic bullets without contacting ribs give marginal early expansion and in my personal experience leave the worst blood trails.. Bonded bullets rock..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.