Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Port huron

4K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  sledman 
#1 ·
Fished Saturday morning north of bridge Canadian side , 3 man limit, Sunday caught 16 keepers and 4 shorts doing my favorite fishing we call it worming. A hook, worm and 3 large split shots dragging bottom fun fishing not bragging just giving a report.

#2 ·
On our first of many Canadian fishing trips our group showed up with all the glitter and glow stuff, spinners, beads and such. We caught fish, but not many. Finally the guide, who couldn't take it anymore told us we can use what we want, but here is what I use. He proceeded to produce 2 spaced hooks on the line and split shot heavy enough for the current. We thought we went to walleye heaven when we started to use that simple set-up. Used it for the next 10 years that we made the trip. Used it on the Detroit river and LSC and caught fish. thanks for jarring my memory.

#4 ·
I have talked to people that say they can't jig. I have told them use a 1oz sinker, 6" above it tie a snelled long shank hook and put a minnow on it, drop it down till it hits bottom raise it up a few inches and hold it there, every so often drop it down till sinker hits bottom to make sure you are still just off bottom. Don't see why this wouldnt catch fish if you can stay close to vertical. If you cant stay anywhere near close, add a few more ounce weight and try.

#9 ·
Fished Saturday morning north of bridge Canadian side , 3 man limit, Sunday caught 16 keepers and 4 shorts doing my favorite fishing we call it worming. A hook, worm and 3 large split shots dragging bottom fun fishing not bragging just
Are we now allowed to fish on the Canadian side with a Canadian lic. Just asking the wife and I both have Canadian lic. but thought
with the border restrictions it wasn’t allowed? May be a moved point unless they extend it today, it’s set to expire on July 21st.

#16 ·
They were giving warnings to people on the D-R in the spring, mainly because the CAN citizens were calling in to complain, because their ramps weren't open at that time. If you got a warning, you essentially couldn't go back or risk losing your tackle, boat, big fines, etc. However, I haven't heard of anyone getting bothered away from shore out on the lake.

#17 ·
I emailed the Ontario Fishing License web site a couple of days ago to ask the status of fishing Canadian waters. Below is the automated response I received, which sounds like fishing is allowed (see bolded sentence below). The link to their website is at the bottom.

***This is an automatic message. Please do not reply***
During this very challenging time, we owe it to our frontline essential workers, families, friends and neighbours to restrict our travel and act responsibly, particularly when we are outdoors. Our actions today will minimize the risk to others and help stop the spread of COVID-19.

Effective June 1 - Ontario is reopening recreational camping on Crown land managed by the ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry. Provincial enforcement officers will continue to patrol Crown land and educate members of the public on respecting recommendations around physical distancing and avoiding social gatherings of more than five people unless they live in the same household.

At this time, fishing and hunting remain open in Ontario. All rules and regulations are in effect. Conservation Officers continue to patrol and protect our natural resources during the COVID-19 outbreak.

As the outbreak evolves, we must all follow the advice of the Chief Medical Officer of Health and act responsibly. Before stepping outside, all Ontario residents are reminded to:

· Check for local restrictions on outdoor areas

· Practice physical distancing - stay 2 metres from other people

· Do not gather in groups while hiking, fishing, or hunting

We recommend visiting Ontario.ca/coronavirus to stay up-to-date with the latest information.

#18 ·
I emailed the Ontario Fishing License web site a couple of days ago to ask the status of fishing Canadian waters. Below is the automated response I received, which sounds like fishing is allowed (see bolded sentence below). The link to their website is at the bottom.

***This is an automatic message. Please do not reply***
During this very challenging time, we owe it to our frontline essential workers, families, friends and neighbours to restrict our travel and act responsibly, particularly when we are outdoors. Our actions today will minimize the risk to others and help stop the spread of COVID-19.

Effective June 1 - Ontario is reopening recreational camping on Crown land managed by the ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry. Provincial enforcement officers will continue to patrol Crown land and educate members of the public on respecting recommendations around physical distancing and avoiding social gatherings of more than five people unless they live in the same household.

At this time, fishing and hunting remain open in Ontario. All rules and regulations are in effect. Conservation Officers continue to patrol and protect our natural resources during the COVID-19 outbreak.

As the outbreak evolves, we must all follow the advice of the Chief Medical Officer of Health and act responsibly. Before stepping outside, all Ontario residents are reminded to:

· Check for local restrictions on outdoor areas

· Practice physical distancing - stay 2 metres from other people

· Do not gather in groups while hiking, fishing, or hunting

We recommend visiting Ontario.ca/coronavirus to stay up-to-date with the latest information.
Is this referring to Canadian citizens only ?

#19 ·
It did not specify, so I would interpret this as it does not matter. I was requesting a refund specifically for my “expensive nonresident license” that I was not allowed to use, and this was their automated response, without addressing my request for refund. I interpreted that as a not so subtle way of telling me there will be no refund because it’s now ok to fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.