Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

crawler harness speed

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  wingster51 
#1 ·
When trolling downstream with a crawler harness, what speed range on the gps are you going? I will be fishing mid river.Thanks and stay safe.

#4 ·
Ballpark anywhere from 1.8 to 2.4....think we usually do best @ 2.3....buddy was doing good last year using #3's, going a tad slower, 1.6 ?....I tied up some 3's for this year....cheers....

Reactions: wingster51
#8 ·
In the river, vary the speed until the fish start biting. Generally the warmer the water, the faster you go, and you’ll have to start upsizing weight to keep up. A good starting point is about 0.5 mph faster than drift speed. If they still aren’t biting when you can barely keep bottom contact with 3 oz of weight, start going slower. If you’ve got a strong wind at your back, often you’ll need to use the trolling motor to slow you down.

#9 ·
To get me going faster then the current, I set my minn kota on 2 setting to start. Just that bit of extra push gets the blades spinning on the harness. Then I adjust accordingly, sometimes up to a 3 1/2 or 4 setting sometimes I leave it at 2. I don't pay attention to the GPS speed because you are looking for a relative speed increase to the water speed. An as others have stated, the water speed could vary widely depending on where you are at in the river and the wind (don't forget the wind is another variable).

Marty

#12 ·
I agree 100% gator, it's amazing how a spot can be so slack water, even when you think it shouldn't and fast in others....not that I know the actual current speed in any given "spot" lol....remember wind too....

Drop your line over the side, see if blade is spinning,?... OK....check speed (which we couldn't do for MANY years) LOL....then use whatever weight keeps you in contact with bottom....not more, not less....more doesn't really hurt though, outside of "rod feeling", just keeps you closer to the boat, lol....

30' or + we use 4oz....under use 2oz & up....even when your making bottom contact, speeding up or slowing down can cause strikes....esp. speeding up, even just a turn....I know I'm forgetting 1 thing, lol....OH !!….you can get them into current as well, it's a lot slower and takes a lot more time because you cover a lot less ground, but it does catch fish, just ask Bob !....

But you know all this, no ? ;)….GOOD GRIEF let's get fishing !!….cheers wingster !....

#17 ·
Yes indeed, water levels have changed more than I think we like to believe or understand yet....what was 11' is now @ 14' ?, lol....just as an example....cheers....

#18 ·
Years ago, 70's, we were jig fishermen. One of my fishing partners was from south dakota and used a 3/4 oz lindy walking sinker and a single hook spinner blade. He caught just as many fish as we did while trying to stay vertical for the jigs. We didnt think that the upper current and the lower current may be different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.