Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Squirrel Prep, once cleaned

9K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Martian 
#1 ·
Once they squirrel is cleaned what is the next step in prepping for the table.

I shot my first squirrel about a week ago and cleaned it and washed it and wrapped it in saran wrap and butcher paper and placed in freezer.

What should I have done? anything different?

How do I debone this critter before cooking?

Please help a newbie

#2 ·
After cleaning, I usually cut the legs off but keep the entire squirrel. There is still meat in the backstrap. I then soak it in salt water for a couple of hours to draw the blood out of the meat. If I freeze it, I usually put it in a ziplock but eat it within a month or two. Before preparing, I parboil the meat until it is tender and is almost ready to fall off the bone or I'll put it in crockpot for half a day. Hope this helps

#3 ·
I do the same as Tigerfly. After quartering the squirrel, I trim everything away from the top loin. Then I cut it in two giving me the 4 quarters and 2 pieces of loin. Then I continue as Tigerfly describes.

Cutting or breaking the tail and then removing the skin from back to front will result in meat that has less hair on it. At least that is my experience.

#4 ·
I skin our squirrels and soak them in lightly salted water overnight to draw the blood out. I cut the rib cage and that part of the spine away from the 4 quarters and backstraps. I pressure cook the quarters and backstraps and then strip the meat off the bones. The pulled meat is used in stews, soups, tacos, enchiladas, pot pies, etc.
I simmer the rib cage in the water leftover in the pressure cooker to make a meat broth. Remove the rib cage when the meat is cooked very soft but before the bones fall apart. Strip the little bit of meat and add it to the broth. The broth can be used for soups, stews, pot pies, used to cook white rice, made into gravy, etc.

#8 ·
i soak cut up squirrel overnight in salt water.
next day i roll pieces in flour an pan fry till brown.i then remove squirrel an place in baking dish with potatoes,an carrots an 1 can cream of chicken soup an 1 can water.bake covered in oven for 2 hours at 300 degrees.it will be fall off the bone tender..
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this works good for rabbit an pats too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.