Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Pier kings

33K views 124 replies 44 participants last post by  seabass810 
#1 ·
Well it's that time. Reading reports and seeing there are big alewives this year like 7" long. Just wondering if I should start throwing bigger spoons next coming weeks. Anyone have favorites? Moonshine kinda new in my spoon box what's there best color for pier? Oh btw a flip is a coming

#93 ·
Fished Ff harbor over the weekend. Sil took one 25lb king and that was it for my boat. Cousin got a 14lb on friday. Both on ej jigs jigging.

Good rain on monday night im sure the fish have pushed up the river that hadnt. Need another flip to fire things back up. Lake fishing has been slow for most boats.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

#96 ·
Yesterday was our second day here in Manistee. Finally got out at about Midday Fisher the north pier for about 2.5 hours, tried everything one rod with fake spawn bag the whole time. The other rod I was casting spoons, spinners and hot n tots. No hits. Seem a lot of boats trolling the harbor and the mouth. Going to try it again today hopefully this rain pushed more in. This time I have some skein ( skeen) lol. This ole timer fishing the pier was generous enough to share said he had gotten it from the cleaning station.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

#101 ·
....and I do too, but do the silvers bite in an east wind unlike walters?
One fish isn’t much of a control group but I answered my own question tonight. GH...east breeze....48 lake....62 channel....9pm....blue glow moonshine with 2 dots...low and slow....16.2lbs.

Attachments

#115 ·
What is the temp you look for for fall steelhead? Do they “stage” nearshore, or in harbors or drowned river mouths?

When it comes to steelhead, I river fish, of fish out of Port Sanilac. Paddling out of Port Sanilac in October can be iffy.

So I was curious how things work where there is a spawning river
Thank you,
Bob

#119 ·
Not sure about a specific water temp but when you are most miserable on a pier, the steelhead are biting. If you look at the weather and a pier camera and don’t want to go because it’s too nasty, you should go.
When someone asks you why you are going and they won't go in that kind of weather is when you need to be out there. I have learned over the years when the weather is miserable cold, windy, and snowy is when the fishing is the best. So if someone tells you that you are nuts, then you go!! lol

#123 ·
Tried for the sunset bite last night. Nada. One tourist was out for a little while, no one was trolling the harbor, but soon it was just me watching the stars come out. Monday night, sure, but I figgered the rain pulse + stiff NW winds all day might bring in some late fish. Couldn’t try this a.m., maybe tomorrow.

Monday morning had one of those bad compass points for wind splattering water all over the pier. Realized later I could have just put on my hip boots.

But the pier does look a little surreal with water so much closer now. Can’t recall seeing so much grass being up on the pier before.

I think there will be a few more of those tough conditions days with these high water levels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.