Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

River boat

8K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  spikehornkid 
#1 ·
I’m outfiting a new jet boat. I have a 1648 Alumacraft with a 50/35 Yamaha 4 stroke tiller. I’m wanting to just get a new hull and transfer my winch and motor. Which leads me to the question of what do people prefer, a mod v style or a flat? I have a flat right now which I like but have not tried to jump coffers or anything like that because it’s a riveted Jon. I’m pretty sure I’m going with a alweld for the price point is good. I’m looking For something of a 1652 model. Thank you for any information I can get.

#31 ·
Had a 1652 roughneck. Very nice boat. It was a jet tunnel hull that had a prop motor. Really liked the boat, but it porpoised very bad on plane. Only had the boat for one season and never figured out the porpoise problem. The boat was built very well though. Very stable with the 52” bottom.
Could u jump coffers with the prop..?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

#42 ·
Any ideas on how to attach?
I think I would add a pc. of 1/4" diamond plate, 10 inches wide all the way across, gunnel to gunnel. Add a 6 inch leg down to your deck in the middle.
I had some welding done recently on my boat and had a hell of a time finding a competent welder.
I would insist on having that TIG welded not MIG with a spoolgun.
For salmonsteel97 and gotoith, wheres your running lights going to mount?

#46 ·
No kidding I’m having a real hard time finding someone, either they don’t want to do it or they have a ridiculous way they want to do it. It’s really not that difficult but people are making it out to be.

Yesterday a guy said I should bolt it on by making a hatch hole to get in the underneath. Little I knew there is a reinforced plate under there so now I have a hatch hole for no reason smh.

#45 ·
I had 2 aluminum mounting plates built, one for the anchor and one for the trolling motor. Both have Minn Kota a Quick Release slide mount brackets so I can remove. I have plugs in the center mount for both units, wiring runs to rear for both.

I use the boat inland in the Summer, slide in the trolling motor to the center. On the river in I slide the winch in the center, trolling motor to side to swing boat around with plugs.

It took some time, cost more than I wanted, but made it the most flexible and multi use.

Attachments

#48 ·
I had 2 aluminum mounting plates built, one for the anchor and one for the trolling motor. Both have Minn Kota a Quick Release slide mount brackets so I can remove. I have plugs in the center mount for both units, wiring runs to rear for both.

I use the boat inland in the Summer, slide in the trolling motor to the center. On the river in I slide the winch in the center, trolling motor to side to swing boat around with plugs.

It took some time, cost more than I wanted, but made it the most flexible and multi use.
Did Larry put that on a Minn Kota bracket for you? I thought about doing this exact thing on my new boat. Versatility is sweet!

#52 ·
Tire Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Fender
Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Road surface Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Window Plant Fender
I took my boat out for the first time today after picking it up from the welder. Which did a great job on the winch.

I started out with the jet foot as close as it can get to the edge, lots of spray!!! Moved the trim 2 holes and it’s better on spray but I’m bow high for a while and the pump is sticking way out. When I got off the water I ran a straight edge from the jet foot and I think they mounted the motor to high. Anyone know a lot about jet pumps? I thought it should be even to the bottom.

#54 ·
The leading edge of my jet foot is even with the bottom of my transom/hull. That is also what my research has lead me to believe is the best starting point when hanging a motor, then adjust from there, usually up slightly, if at all. I didn't play around with mine.

#55 ·
I was wrong on the height if anything it needs to come up a hair. I trimmed it to the second hole and found a happy medium. I don’t think there is a way to raise the motor 1/4 inch. But I think that’s why I get so much spray back. I’m going to either raise it up one hole and see if it don’t cavitate or get a splash guard so it stops the spray. I liked how fast it got on plain when trimmed all the way down but, it just flooded the back of the boat.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.